TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 6 January 2013
Tan Twan Eng employs a multitude of metaphors in order to build a jigsaw puzzle, exquisitely complex, designed to be solved from the blind side with the picture only revealing itself when turned over on completion. Or a cryptic crossword with clues hidden in plain sight, partial answers nestling in boxes wrapped in tissue. A treasure hunt with a map that only unfurls a little at a time.

This is a book that leaves you wondering what understanding you still may have missed, even after two readings. It is rich, dense, challenging and yet strangely reassuring; soothing in tone. Valuably describing a past time and place; offering a true education to be absorbed slowly, paying respect for a writer who takes his time, using words as paint, creating pictures that will stay forever in the mind.

I should also add that it kept our Book Club (8 members this month) talking for over two hours and some of us all the way home in the car too!
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 September 2017
This came highly recommended but I found it rather pretentious. At first I thought it was a translation as the prose was quite clunky but then realised it is not. It felt like the author had done a lot of research and wanted to get all his knowledge in whether or not it helped the story. Also for such a wannabe 'poetic' style the actual plot became rather Indiana Jones and the lost treasures of Asia!
on 15 July 2017
Beautifully written book. I can understand why some reviewers found it slow moving. I thought the pace of the book was in keeping with the character of Yun Ling. Through the book, looking up all places mentioned on my iPad, I learned a lot about that beautiful part of the world. Worth reading.
on 20 October 2016
Best book I've read in ages
on 31 March 2017
A wonderful book. It's everything that those dreadful books with "tea planter" in the title aspire to be but fail.
on 24 October 2014
Although a little slow at the beginning it does pick up. I found the switching of time periods between chapters quite confusing. The story was at its most enjoyable for me in the last few chapters, I found out more from them than the whole story.
on 14 October 2017
Not finished yet but thoroughly enjoying this. great descriptive writing and interesting subject(s)
on 12 March 2017
Not quite as good as the Gift of Rain but still excellent
on 29 March 2017