Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 21 January 2016
It's a real shame, this. I absolutely love this film, in fact it's one of my favourite all time films, but the DVD is so much better in every way, I'm pleased I kept mine. Sadly this is one of those minority of films which hasn't transferred to Blu-ray very well at all. Compared to the DVD, the Blu-ray is darker, nowhere near as sharp a picture, the sound is different and worse, and the cover art is also much better on the DVD too.
The only plus side to having this blu-ray over the DVD is that there are some good documentaries and bonus features on it - that's why I give 2 stars - other than that, I would advise you buy the DVD instead, you'll be much happier for it.
on 13 January 2014
Car crunching stunts with US 70's acting, amazingly restored to glorious HD. Extras include a couple of additional abridged films by actor / stunt-man / director H.B Halicki.
on 16 January 2017
... you consider incoherent storytelling of an almost non-existent story and horrible acting a necessity and enthralling build-up for the worlds longest and most dire car chase.
1 star goes to the movie.
3 stars for picture and sound, which could have been better but still look nice and sound Ok for an older movie. Obviously better than DVD and in some parts quite good regarding the picture quality but not impressive. Natural grain is preserved nicely here. No filters where used.
Sound wont win any prices.... but wont get a bashing either.
on 2 May 2004
There may be little to the story, but this is perhaps one of the greatest car chases on film. For once the damage sustained by the Mustang remains and continues to increase as the film goes on. If you like car chases you will love this. If not probably best to ignore.
on 10 May 2016
They always say original is best usually that's right but the remake was good too so the answer to that is have both versions in your collection.
on 15 September 2009
Why does the term 'Remastered' suggest these days extensive, and ruinous, farting about with the original to the extent that it almost becomes a parody?

This Movie illustrates perfectly how dire modern remakes can become when they involve individuals with absolutely no idea of how to use the materials at hand sensitively, and when necessary (As in this case) leave well enough alone. 'Toby' Hallicki made a movie based upon a brilliantly simple premise - a car chase. His inspired use of friends and acquaintances, without the aid of Hollywood's finest overpaid, self-obsessed, glove puppets, gives slightly shaky, but naturalistic, acting (Still better than the bunch of goons in the remake).

How could anyone with an iota of intelligence ever think of replacing the excellent period soundtrack, starring Phil Katchachurian(Which complemented the movie and evokes the decade perfectly), with the sort of bloody awful cacophony you can replicate by placing an oversize saucepan on your head then bunging an electric whisk in between said pan and head and switching on. This 'remastered' bilge belongs with the garbage Nicholas Cage version, it's just bad enough.

I hope someone with a brain decides to reinstate the original score and give us back something which will not have us puking
for ninety minutes, meanwhile kindly take the tone deaf blockhead that created this abominable noise and give them a more suitable job: Surely someone so inept would make the perfect judge for 'X Factor' or any of the plethora of No Talent shows which infest our screens. In the interim I shall indulge my secret passion for silent film and turn the sound off. I just wish my Betamax player had survived.
Sadly, I have had to deduct two stars for the appalling, inapt, noisetrack.
on 28 May 2013
I saw this as a child at my local cinema and it stayed in my memories all my life as one of the greatest movies I saw as a child. This Blu- Ray is absolutely perfect,it's a proper hi def transfer and the extras are great.. The remake can not hold a touch to the original and is not fit to even lace it's boots. We will never see this type of film making again so buy and enjoy every second of the longest and greatest car chase of ALL time..
on 29 October 2011
Couldn't believe I could get the original 70's film on a DVD. Just had to buy it for husband 'cause he has always said that Gone In 60 Seconds has one of the best car chase scenes EVER! He wasn't disappointed, his memory served him well.....and since then I have ordered another 3 of these DVD's for other family members. It's a real blokes film. Not my cup of tea, but it keeps husband quiet as he has replayed it now 3 times.
on 18 July 2014
People who write bad reviews don't actually understand back in 1974 we didn't have computer special effects like we do now do. comparing a film then is hard and should not be compared with today's let's destroy movies with computers. This movie is pure petrol head a car a chase and it's what everyone can do in real life not like films today that are unrealistic. Great film if you actually like reality
on 23 August 2015
This is the original and the best Gone in 60 Seconds. The final car chase is the best in any movie...ever.