on 1 October 2017
ok to start with but to many issues with it constantly doing hard starts or factory reset and to top it all the trade in value was really low unlike samsung or I phone
I've gone back to a Samsung Galaxy. just no contest. never again
on 23 October 2017
Doesn’t perform like a new phone. Won’t start on the first place, and had to fo a factory reset. Cannot charge without switching off. Absolute piece of rubbish. Either refurbished wrong or damaged items being sold as new.
on 23 May 2014
I decided to replace my old Samsung Galaxy Ace 2, having got fed up of it jamming up with all the bloat ware it comes with. The Sony build quality is superb, but I was disappointed with the LCD screen that has poorer contrast and black levels than my 2 year old Samsung. I also found the Wi-Fi reception of the Sony to be poorer than the old phone too. Having said all that, the Xperia, so far has performed without a glitch, the battery life seems good if you use the stamina mode meaning the wi-fi and Bluetooth etc turn off when the screen goes into stand by. The larger screen is much appreciated and I plan to install the Tom Tom satnav app as soon as my micro SD card arrives by snail mail via Jersey.
on 13 August 2017
Boss then and boss now! Best phone I've had - got it back in 2014 and when I lost it in 2016 I foolishly got persuaded to accept a Samsung S3 on a new 2 year contract. I stuck it out for 15 months before I realised I could get hold of this brilliant but discontinued model. Very very happy again now :)
on 6 November 2017
NOT BAD BUT TO SLOW
on 5 June 2013
I bought the SP as an upgrade to my reliable but slightly sluggish Xperia Ray. I had been waiting for Sony to announce a similarly compact successor (sub 4-inch screen) but grew tired of waiting and decided to take a chance on the SP. Two weeks in and I am very glad that I did.

Firstly, the performance of the phone is very impressive - menus, messages, games and apps all load very smoothly without a hitch. Switching between concurrently running apps via the multitask menu is painless. The GPU is also highly capable for playing games, as an example, GTA vice city runs perfectly on max graphics/resolution. Battery life is very impressive, Sony have implemented a feature called Stamina mode which puts wi-fi into sleep mode when the screen is off and instantly wakes it up when the screen is on. I can typically go 2 days on a single charge - twice as long I could on my previous phone (Xperia Ray). The device runs Sony's version of Android Jelly Bean (as of 05/06/13 it runs 4.1.2). The tweaks to the stock version are neat and unobtrusive. I own a Nexus 7 and frankly I find Sony's version of Android equal to, if not better than, Stock Android.

On top of all these performance merits, the phone is incredibly well designed, both in terms of looks and ergonomics (despite having a large screen, the device is not too heavy and feels well balanced. It looks incredible, the aluminium rim is a nice touch and goes well with the white version of the phone. The back is plastic but not the glossy cheap looking kind found on other devices, it is matte and feels premium. The illuminated LED strip at the bottom is a great addition for ensuring that notifications (incoming call, missed call, unread sms etc) are not missed, the colour can be customised according to the type of notification. There is also the option to have the lights illuminate in time (and in colour) with music played via the Walkman app, slightly gimmicky but a neat party trick nonetheless.

Additional pros: Dedicated camera button (in my opinion a vital feature), expandable memory (I use a 64gb Sandisk micro SD card with no problems) and support for wireless pairing of a PS3 controller which can be used with some Android games (I use it for GTA Vice City and SNES9x, again without any problems).

Cons: Viewing angles - when looking at the phone face on, it looks very vibrant, however from unorthodox/extreme angles it does exhibit high contrast levels (i.e. Looks washed out).
Internal memory is 8gb (of which around 5.5 is usable) - this could be an issue for people who want to install large apps/games.
There is currently (05/06/13) a software bug which causes music players to force close when running at the same time as the Chrome browser - there is no problem when running either app separately or music apps with other browsers such as Opera. Hopefully Sony will address this in a future firmware update.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend this device to all fans of technology. The Xperia Z may be Sony's flagship, but frankly I wouldn't trade my SP in for any other device currently in the market.
77 Comments| 101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2015
Please consider buying another phone.

It worked perfectly for me for about three months, upon which time I began having problems. The screen froze at least once a day, slowly faded to a yellow colour and then starting to work again. I had issues with the phone restarting itself: this was solved by returning the phone to factory settings (after I lost my patience when it restarted itself everyday of the week) only for it to return to old habits after about a month. I also had problems with the phone screen not turning on when I pressed the unlock button: this happened several times but not with the same frequency as my other problems. This was very frustrating and either meant finding a needle to press the restart button inside the phone, leaving it and hoping it would turn on later or finding somewhere to put it on charge.

I would have returned this phone, however SOMEHOW (and I am still extremely frustrated by this fact) a stupid thunderbug managed to get into the screen of the phone and die within two months of owning it -_- so I spent six months staring at this stupid dead bug in my screen: can't really blame the phone for that, probably just a fluke.

Also had issues with intermittent lagging.

I'm normally the kind of person who just glosses over bad reviews as being the exception or an exaggeration or "it won't happen to me!", but please please don't waste your money :/ or by a used one. My friend also has this phone and she has had to send it into be repaired after it turned itself off and refused to turn back on. Another friend who has the same phone has issues with lag but hasn't had issues as severe as mine.

I was just so so disappointed in this purchase. I was going to wait for next year to buy another but I just lost patience and bought a different phone second hand (which I love).

When it did work, the interface looked good, and I found it easy to navigate (but its android so its going to be). The front camera is pretty terrible but the back camera is decent to good. The light bar at the bottom of the phone was pretty awesome and pulses when you play music, but I never used it due to battery concerns: it was annoying however that it turns on when you're battery is low, cause that's just so helpful.

Battery life was fairly good - always lasted me the whole day. Normal usage (or my definition of normal usage) would bring it to about 45% at the end of the day and heavy usage to about 14% (this wasn't very often).

These phones are NOT worth their new price. If you're going to buy it I would recommend a used one. I'd sell my own but I can't bring myself to pawn it off on someone :/ even if they changed the screen, that doesn't help with the other problems it had.

I hope this is informative!
on 24 February 2014
after having a samsung galaxy s2 for a while I thought it was time for an upgrade, so after checking out the array of smartphones within my price range I came across this little number, so I went ahead and bought it.

intitial thoughts -

the phone was very good looking, the heavy weight felt nice in the hand as it felt well made and well built, the phone was also quite big which isn't usually expected within the mid-range market. the charger cable was a little on the short side.

the performance -

for the price you pay this phone certainly delivers in the performance bracket. a dual core 1.7ghz processor so far is working well with numerous games with no lag to speak of as yet. the RAM is a little on the low side at 1GB however this doesn't usually affect performance of multi-tasking considerably, due to the powerful processor.

the display -

with the display being 720p it may not be as 'sharp' as the top end phones with the 1080p displays, however put side by side you would be hard pressed to find much different in graphical quality. the contrast within the display is good and the high PPI rate helps with colour differentiation in images.

the camera/video -

as most of the people on here have pointed out the camera is most probably one of the downfalls of this phone, at 8MP you would expect a decent performance from the camera, however compared to other 8MP cameras this phone just doesn't seem to cut it (admittedly I don't use the camera a ton so this downfall doesn't really bother me) the video oddly enough seems to fair a little better, it copes with motion quite well and is adequate for most uses. the front camera however is nothing short of pathetic, a VGA camera is a throwback to around a decade ago and is somewhere we don't really want to go back to, this of course affects the ease in which people can take the infamous "selfie"

the battery -

at around 2.3k mili amps the battery is quite sizable, which left me a little disapointed when it came to the actual life of the battery. with general usage I can get around a day out of the battery from early morning to late(ish) at night, which is fine as I can charge it whilst not using it anyway. the phone does come with a stamina mode which turns off certain settings to save battery, which maybe useful to most. how long the battery lasts is down to you as the user, and how well you look after your phone.

the added extras -

one of the noticable things about this phone is the LED strip at the bottom which can be programmed to flash different colours depending on the notification. this may appear a gimmick to some people however I like this little feature, as its good to see some fun in a smartphone for a change. the operating system within the phone works well and is generally pretty stable. the phone also includes small applets which include a notetaker, a calculator and other small useful apps which you can pin onto the screen, doesn't sound like much but the small things do matter and its good to see that this small details have been taken care of.

the phone also comes with a number of sonys features including the walkman app, which works as a music player to play music on the go. the walkman app can also find the lyrics to the song and find the video on youtube for it, which are all useful features which speed up general usage. the phone also comes with sonys own app store, which is pretty pointless considering this is an android smartphone.

overall verdict -

for the price you pay you certainly get a lot for your money, I have had the phone for around a month and had no problems so far (touch wood!) so as far as I can see it is pretty reliable, I don't really see this as a mid range phone, I like to think of this phone as last years top performers, today. I hope this review gave you some idea of what to expect if you buy this :)
on 13 December 2016
The phone is awful and the service was terrible.

I had multiple problems with this phone and each time I emailed the company they just started the conversation from scratch. The internet had stopped working and finally I managed to find the fix myself. Then the screen just went blank and made the purchase a complete waste. I was only using it as back up as the internet wasn't working initially.

Don't expect any response from the seller or any response that would be helpful.
on 21 June 2013
Coming clean, I didn't buy this from Amazon, but thought it could do with a review anyway!

Like a few people I know, I felt the latest superphones (Galaxy S4, HTC One and Xperia Z) are just too big to use comfortably one handed; ok, they aren't as Dom Jolly phone gag as the Note 2 and the other phablets, but I didn't want a 5" screen.

Rather than wait for the S4 mini or HTC one mini, I decided to get rid of my Atrix (decent phone, shocking software support from Motorola) and get the Xperia SP on EE's 4G as its the only option, and what can I say - its lightning quick!

Despite not being blessed with 2GB of RAM, the phone is extremely rapid - BBC iplayer is faultless, tested against a iPhone 4S the SP wiped the floor with the Apple phones browser and streaming ability!

The metal frame feels very lush, yet much more sturdy than an all plastic phone such as Atrix/Galaxy models.

The flashing light bar may not be to everyones taste, but so far I think its pretty cool.

I haven't owned an S4 or iphone etc, but having come from an Atrix and owning a Nexus 7, this is one seriously good mobile - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Now to think about a case for it maybe... hmmm... lol
1212 Comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse