Customer reviews

on 11 December 2003
To me this was a revolutionary way of looking at the performance of the various databases within our organisation.
Was the book helpful - yes.
Did it solve our performance problems - well, not all of them, but it did show us where to go and look, in the network rather than the database itself.
Was it a worthwhile investment - absolutely! The ability to provide the statistics in the book has enabled me to be teflon-shouldered a number of times already, rather than wasting my time looking for problems outside of the database. If only all aspects of an end-to-end solution were as well instrumented and timed as this shows Oracle to be, then finding the real source of performance problems would be so much easier....developers take note!
on 28 January 2005
I found Cary's book outstanding.
1. Coverage on generating and understanding extended sql trace is excellent.
2. One of the very few book on Oracle tuning, which deals with a "methodology". I have read several books before this on optimizing Oracle performance and none explains any methodology. This book instead of diving straight into v$ view and statspack data, first makes a ground of what approach should be taken. So its like, what needs to be done and then how to do that.
I find this book incredibly useful.
on 13 March 2013
I seen this, noted the publication date, quickly noticed good reviews and nearly purchased.

I then became concerned this may be a simple 2013 kindle re-publication of an old book.

This book was probably great when first published, but I suspect it has not been updated to Oracle 11gR2. So some things will remain timelessly relevant, others may not, and some current features from recent Oracle versions may be missing.

I simply suggest any relevant purchaser check for themselves prior to purchase to avoid disappointment.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse