Weddings in Burracombe by Lilian Harry for me was another wonderful read by this author who vividly knows Devon like the palm of her hand. From page one us readers who have followed this beautiful, nostalgic series we are brought straight into the lives of the very loveable residents from Burracombe.
I loved this book from page one, as straightaway we are brought back into the lives of my favourite residents. As the book opens a wedding is taking place in the month of June 1954, Stella and Felix are standing at the altar which was no surprise so therefore I was beginning to wonder why the book was entitled Weddings in Burracombe. From the second chapter we are brought back to January 1954 where I left the many residents in Snowfall in Burracombe, Stella is still in hospital recovering from her accident and Hilary is coping with a broken heart as she is still parted from her beloved David. Hilary was one of the main characters in this entertaining which I found to be very relaxing read and I did enjoy getting to know the real Hilary as she let her defences down and reached out for help and support from the most unsuspected sources. Hilary also showed how much she loved not only the estate she lived on but the village of Burracombe itself which included all those who inhabited it, she turned out to be a caring individual and was a support to those in need which for me reading of her was a great pleasure.
As you read the book yourself you will soon learn who will the happy and not so happy couples will be in the other weddings, one thing you will be constantly entertained throughout the next chapter in the lives of the residents of Burracombe.
The book covers the period of January 1954 to June 1954 and believe me for Burracombe being such a small village it certainly is a hive of activity. As I was brought up to date with my favourite residents the author keeps us readers entertained with their hectic lives, there are a few new faces appearing and some old faces returning from their lives they have made expecting everything to be the same as they left them but life goes on and the war has changed people sometimes for the best but in other times the effects are still being shown on a daily business. . As us readers get a ring-side seat watching these characters living their lives we miss nothing of what is happening within their homes, but not only does the author show the goodness of these years she also shows how poverty can destroy a family and shows how the war is still affecting the men even now they are home safe the war years are still ripe in the minds of those who lived through it. This is the reason I love Lilian Harry as an author she understands how war affects those who were home and abroad, she has a wonderful knowledge not only of historical facts but the human payment which was made through the 6 years of the Second World War.
I loved this book from page one as there are many vivid and wonderful characters who as a reader I could not fail to care for. The author brings the beautiful county of Devon to life with her very graphic writing, she brings the wonderful nature which fills the many roads and lanes and I loved how she shows us readers how beautiful not only the country side is but the friendly atmosphere which fills the quaint villages the county is famous for. I also enjoyed how she brought the many speech mannerisms and accents to life and as I was reading of the characters' lives I could hear the accents within my mind her writing was just so good.
I would recommend Weddings in Burracombe by Lilian Harry not only to those who have followed this very enjoyable series but as a reader who wanted to read this book on its own it still is a very enjoyable book. This book for me was another great read which I will have to say I actually enjoyed this book more than the last one as we got a look into characters who only briefly appeared in earlier books. Personally I would give these book ten stars if I could as I really enjoyed it so much, every spare minute I was grabbing my kindle as I was so involved in the many lives involved within the pages of this great book. I am now waiting patiently once again for the next book in this brilliant series as always us readers were left avidly waiting what will become of the many characters which for me are so vividly brought to life through the very gifted Lilian Harry who writes books with so much talent plus mix in her love for writing which shines through her many books which I return to time and time again.
on 6 April 2017
Another book in the series which as always is a very good read, definitely recommend this author.
on 22 April 2017
Paid for this book but have not received it yet on my kindle.So where is it please? Not very happy at all.
on 6 December 2017
Very good description and delivery
on 5 November 2017
Superb book
on 29 April 2017
Lovely read
on 28 January 2014
Every one of Lilian Harry's books are written to perfection. Her attention to detail is meticulous. If Burracome was a real place it would be a tourist mecca. Her fans would feel so at home among the wonderful characters.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Could not put kindle down