on 25 November 2017
Great modem, unfortunately my annex M adsl was limited to 1.6mbps upload with it due to the chipset I think. Probably one of the best modems you can get for regular adsl/vdsl though. Definitely worth it, especially if you like tinkering with your line snr. Returned mine but would advise it for any connections minus Annex M connections.
on 17 November 2014
Not the easiest router in the world to set up (by a country mile), but it's hell on wheels at holding on to a DSL connection. The Netgear I had before used to drop out with monotonous regularity (as evidenced by any attempt to stream catch-up TV through it), but the Billion is pretty close to rock solid. Wifi seems fine, but I don't make many demands on that and don't require much in the way of range. I'm a software developer rather than a network admin person and it took me a couple of hours to get it set up for the basics, so novices need not apply. But if you are within striking distance of having a clue, you'll get there in the end.

I only drop one star because the software could be easier to use. If you need some obscure feature there's a good chance that feature will be in there somewhere, but it could take you quite a while to find it.

Still well worth the asking price, especially if your connection is a bit dodgy.
on 30 January 2018
the Broadcom chipset is way better for me as I am 2.7 km away from line exchange this modem was more stable I haven't tweaked the snr yet I left it auto. and also I notice the ping is lower a little bit with this modem,one downside is wireless coverage its isnt the best but I give it 7/10 so it will be better to use router with it
on 26 February 2017
Forget D-Link, Netgear or the rubbish (and vulnerable) routers your ISP ships you and buy this grown-up router instead! (My previous Billion lasted a good five years before it decided to misbehave.) This is used in a mostly Mac household and it performs extremely well, with excellent wifi range throughout the entire three levels of our house and a stable ADSL connection (with TalkTalk). My only complaint is that it's not great with Airprint: it works but I have to wake up the printer first, which wasn't the case with my Airport Express. (But it crashed all the time and had rubbish range so I think the Billion is a better compromise.)
on 11 January 2016
Solid construction and well ventilated. I found installing pretty easy. My location is the last telegraph pole in the furthest BT point in the west of Northern Ireland with a speed on Bt routers around 1.9 MBTS and frequent drop outs. I've replaced everything from main connection box face plate in attempt to squeeze some more speed and stability and thought i'd try a 7800 dxl based on the super tech advice gleaned from tech savy folks on these reviews and the snr alteration feature. Firstly the drop outs have now ceased but absolutely no joy on the speed issue no matter what the snr value is set at. about what I expected in this location, but still a great piece of kit
on 9 January 2017
My BT home hub4 would leave me with no internet connection alter 5pm and at weekends. I had BT check my connection and they said there was no problem and as I can see the exchange from my house it was frustrating.. I am unable to have fibre so this was the best I could do. In frustration I took the plunge and invested in the Billion Bipac 7800DXL and have been amazed with it since connected. It has never failed to connect and give me maximum connection at all times. How nice it is to be able to my computer at all times and not have to use 3g on my phone in the evening. Fantastic piece of equipment.
on 27 January 2016
This is an excellent Wireless Modem, and has really good range for "G" or "N" grade systems.
Unfortunately, I pressed the wrong button as I really wanted the "AC" range unit because TalkTalk has upgraded my line to Hi speed FIBRE,, and modems up to "N" grade cannot receive this signal...... It had to be regretfully returned to AMAZON who were really great... No fuss No bother, just e-mail me a returns label, and a full refund... Thank you AMAZON.
on 3 February 2016
We are quite a way from the exchange and bought this because it was said to be good on long lines. So far it is doing very well, holds the connection for upto several weeks at a time without drops and at about 1mb faster than previous modems I have tried. There are a lot of settings that needed to be tweeked as it was initially crashing every time certain apple devices connected to it.
on 8 February 2014
Bought this as it was highly rated for poor service areas and it does seem to improve things a little.

The addition of the 5GHZ network is also a bonus.

It appears to improve my connection speed and the signal to noise tweaking appears to help with the headline speeds though it may be affecting streaming - I would need to test this some more to say for sure but it probably will not be an issue for most people as I am over 4k from the exchange so get a very poor signal.

The additional wan ports also mean that I should be able to use the router with fibre if it ever becomes available.:-(

Unfortunately it doesn't support hardware vpn like the Draytek it has replaced.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 August 2014
My last router, a Billion 7800n, got fried by lightning so I replaced it with this. Definitely worth paying the little extra for this over the 7800n. A lot more features. 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wifi. Each channel can have multiple guest networks. USB for 3g/4g fallover or can be used for printer or network drive. And many more.

Best thing about the Billion 7800 routers is the connection speed they achieve. I live out in the sticks and BT estimates my broadband speed will be around 1Mbs. With this router I get a sync speed of 6Mbs and a speedtest dot net result of around 5.3Mbs.

If you are a distance from your exchange and disappointed with your connection speed, try one of these!