Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 June 2013
I played the CD and the sound is good, maybe Tabu could have made more effort to locate the original masters of the vinyl extended mixes but if this is the best they could do, I'd rather have them than not.

The sound level is lower compared to other remasters around, no standards it seems to audio levels in the music industy, that are followed at least..? unsure.

The sound is acceptable on the extended mixes. I would not just give it one star because of that, thats silly, I'll just knock one of.

Remember you do not have to play them and remember vinyl was the way it used to be... smile and have a great day
on 22 November 2013
A number of people get their knickers in a twist over the sound quality of these TABU Records Re-Born CDs as they say they are vinyl rips both for the original album tracks as well as for the bonus tracks included. In this particular case, SOS Band's "Too" I recommend to actually read the extensive liner note by Justin Kantor based on interviews with singers Mary Davis and Abdul Ra'oof to understand that a copy of the Mastertapes might not have been the panacea audiophiles are waiting for.
Describing the expectations the Band was facing to follow their two million units selling debut he writes that "hopes were high that [this] would replicate the massive international impact of [the debut] 'Take Your Time'. Unforeseen complications in the recording studio, however, ultimately made such a feat more difficult. Ra'oof reveals, 'We got caught up in a time jam completing Too. This was the days of reel-to-reel recording. We had a batch of bad Ampex tapes going around. In the process of rolling back, rewinding, recutting, and overdubbing, we lost some of what was on the tapes.' [...] 'Ra'oof notes, ' It had some of the elements that we thought would work, but at the same time it was more of a pop sound. We lost some of the funk in the recording sessions because of all the rewinding and re-recording on the bad tapes. It had the bite and was cracking' on the high end, but not the bottom that R&B songs have. It came off bumping' in the studio, and the engineers were trying to make up for those problems. What we ended up with didn't have what we needed to really give it that dance thing."
Recording quality aside, this is the weakest of the classic SOS Band albums in my opinion and one that even nostalgia won't wash back into my CD player so soon again.
on 3 June 2013
original album sounds fine, but all bonus cuts are warped sounding filtered vinyl rips, stick with the right stuff reissue of this cd i say!
44 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2013
1st of all, I am true SOS Band fan. I love their music. These reissue albums that has their hard 2 find 12" versions of these songs are truly rare 2 find on their albums. I will keep buying their music until I have them all.