Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 5 July 2015
I love this movie. My friends don't, but I do, and by now I've seen it 12 times. I never get tired of it, because it's always an experience. The soundtracks, the filters, the hypnotic and dreamy nature of the lines delivered multiple times, draws me in and makes me feel like I'm there. And there's always something new to discover. A reference, more symbolism... I mean I still haven't figured out the meaning of the gunshots. This movie isn't for everyone, but it's for me. And the service was as good as I had expected, but that's because amazon is always great;D So five stars from here:)
on 22 April 2016
Don't get why people hate on this film. As soon as I saw the trailer on TV when it was it theatres I knew it had to be good. Unfortunately didn't see it then as I was 17. Fast forward 3/4 years later I regret not seeing it sooner.

The cast is superb especially James Franco, who takes a break from starring in s***ty stoner films to give a performance that I can see in time will be the role which will define his career the same way Travis Bickle defined Robert De Niro's.

And it's not just the cast that is perfection, the music, the cinematography, the acting all deserve a round of applause.
on 18 September 2016
Packaging was In tact as was dvd. Amazing movie, has been missunderstood I think.
on 22 March 2017
great
on 25 June 2017
I should have read the storyline
on 6 March 2015
I Must This Is An Excellent Film, And Thank You For Your Excellent Service.
on 2 April 2015
Great would recommend
on 28 October 2016
Unethical stuff.
on 10 April 2016
excellent
on 16 October 2016
I've never reviewed anything on Amazon before, despite using it for years. So why now? Well, this film has received a lot of very negative reviews. And whilst it has also received it's fair share of positive ones, I still felt the impulse to weigh in with my own, very positive review.

So, this film didn't start well for me at all. In fact my partner went to bed after about the first half an hour, completely disinterested. It's true, the first act of the film is fairly graphic, and with plenty of nudity. Although in fairness, it is in keeping with the film's authenticity, as although I'm no expert, I would imagine this is exactly how young people would behave on spring break, having been away from home for possibly the first time. Plus, it's attention-grabbing, whether for the right, or the wrong reasons.

I think the secret is not to turn the film off at this point, but to continue watching. Don't be put off. As things head into act two, things start to get more interesting. The girls are vacuous and one-dimensional, granted, but then, enter one James Franco. Franco is a very good actor, that's probably difficult to dispute. He plays Alien, a rapper and a gangster, and a man of many other labels, all bad. His performance is so good here, that although the film isn't carried by one actor, if it had needed to be, he could have done so.

Digressing for a moment; there is a certain type of person that I will refer to as a casual filmgoer. This is the kind of person that will sit through a film at the cinema (or at home), and come out afterwards, unimpressed, and talking only about what they didn't like about it. These are the kinds of people that should not watch this film. I just don't think they would understand it. Although this may sound patronising; it isn't supposed to. It's merely a fact. Your casual filmgoer wants things to move fast, and have a plot. In other words they want it to be accessible. This film is none of those things. This film has heart and soul. It has atmosphere, magic, authenticity, originality, relatability, and most of all, for me at least, it had resonance. It continued to play through my mind for days after I saw it. I got online looking for anything related to it - interviews, clips, pics, actor bios, you name it. Harmony Korine (the filmmaker) said two things stay in his memory after he has seen a film he has enjoyed - characters and scenes. These two elements are also what are most important to me. At the risk of sounding a bit gushy, this film is a love story. A very contemporary, unusual and misdirected one, but one nonetheless. There is a particularly touching scene with a piano and a Britney Spears song. This scene was so real and lucid, and could so easily have gone wrong. As it was, it was done masterfully, and instead of being cheesy or funny, it was brilliant, and really seemed like the kind of thing that would happen in real life.

I've really enjoyed the stuff Korine has been involved with in the past (Kids, Gummo, Ken Park, Last Days) so I suppose this makes me a bit biased. Or at least very optimistic. So much so, in fact, that I bought the bluray before I'd seen the film, which is unusual for me. I usually only want a copy of something I have seen and loved.

The film cover looks a bit like a fun teen romp. Something that may appeal to the American Pie/Road Trip fan base. Please, please, read a few reviews before watching this and then leaving a negative review, as otherwise you are doing it an undeserving disservice.

And for those of you that like your films with substance, passion and longevity, watch this, and let it consume you.