on 5 April 2015
Thank you to Hodder books for providing me with a copy in exchange for an honest review

So you may be aware that the third book in the Penryn and the End of Days series is due very shortly, I for one am very excited to see exactly how it ends but my one problem is my memory having read the first instalment Angelfall back in 2013 I remember a lot of it but I thought I better have a re-read of it to refresh my hazy mind (I blame the kids!).

For the new reader of this awesome series let me take you briefly through Angelfall, an apocalypse has befallen Earth, there are no nukes, no zombie plagues, no asteroids instead we have the bringers of doom, Angels.

They are not your top of the Christmas tree variety, they are deadly and they are many, the world has met it's match. Set six weeks after they arrive we meet Penryn who is leaving the "safety" of her home along with her disabled mother and her slightly unhinged mother. No sooner have they left their house they hear the unmistakable sound of wings, fearing the worst what they see is totally unexpected, Angels fighting one another.

Or more specifically a gang of them against one, Penryn watches horrified as the angel who is outnumbered has his wings brutally cut off. Unfortunately Penryn and her family are discovered by the angels and to her horror they take her sister away, her mother disappears and she is left alone with the bloody beaten wingless angel.

Thinking fast she takes the angel along with his wings and his sword, and she decides he will be her ticket to finding her sister, well once he comes round that is. Once the angel comes round she discovers he is called Raffe and they come to an agreement that he will take her to the angels lair, the Eyrie where he assumes her sister will be held also she will help him get in as he is not high on the list of popular angels.

Together they travel through the remains of the San Francisco bay area and on their way they encounter small bands of resistance plus some truly gruesome sights and the hint of something much more sinister than the angels lurking in the shadows, although they truly hate one another a slightly predictable chemistry starts to appear but it is not begrudged at all as they do hate each other for quite some time, there is none of the insta-love which we see so often in books and if you are like me you do kinda want them to have some flirting going on.

The character of Penryn is a great one, she has only one thing in her sights and that is her sister, her sheer determination and grit is enviable, plus being in a room with a topless angel and keeping herself in check must take a lot of willpower.

The setting of the book is perfect too, suitably sinister and dark which is just ideal as the story leads you to its chilling ending in the ruins of the one glorious city of San Francisco.

Dystopian books are everywhere these days, there is so much to choose from, I'll give you a help by saying this should be on your must read list.
on 4 April 2015
I was surprised at how much I liked this book! I’ve been burned by angel books before. Like the angels themselves, they seem to be all about the pretty covers but don’t have much actual content. Plus, I find it hard to get excited about a hero with wings. There’s something about the wings that just screams ‘not fanciable’ to me. But yeah, Angelfall surprised me.

Six weeks after the angels attacked Earth, what remains of humanity has been caught up in an angel-flavoured, post-apocalypse nightmare. 17 year old Penryn Young, her seven year old sister Paige and her schizophrenic mother are struggling to survive, caught between the dual threat of angels and street gangs. When Paige is kidnapped after they witness a group of angels sawing the wings off one of their own, Penryn heals the injured angel, Raffe, and they set off for the angels’ aerie to retrieve Paige and Raffe’s wings.

The plot was great. It’s proper old-school Book of Revelations stuff and there’s literally danger at every turn but Penryn never wavers in her determination to find her sister. There are avenging angels, human resistance groups, monsters, cannibals... Ee certainly knows how to keep things interesting.

The angels who have invaded earth are a perfect balance of terrifying and skeevy. Their reason for invading earth is that humans killed the angel Gabriel, but now they’re here they seem to be content holing up in swanky hotels, partying and getting busy with the human women who pimp themselves out to their oppressors.

And can I just say: Penryn = kick ass heroine! Everything that those drippy, save-me heroines out there lack, Penryn has in spades. The supporting characters had a lot of depth, too. I really liked Penryn’s mum. She’s a schizophrenic who’s off her meds and unstable as a result, but this seemed to give her an insight into the angels that the other characters didn’t have. The scenes between Penryn and her mum were very touching.

And I found myself actually liking Raffe and the lack of instalove was a big bonus for me. He and Penryn start off as enemies - obviously - and gradually start to trust and then like each other. Their relationship develops slowly and never feels rushed. I’m still not feeling the love for a guy with wings, but Raffe was a great character (agnostic angel, anyone?)
on 30 July 2012
Quite simply, I loved this book. Read the whole thing in less than two days. All I can say is 'when's the next one out????'
on 24 July 2013
This book had such potential. The narrative was punchy and fast moving. The characters were suitably troubled and complex. The situation they were in...? Well, that was absolutely brilliant. A really imaginative well conceived set up. Sadly, Susan Ee was unable to sustain the intensity of the novel. For me it fell flat on its face at the end. It was as though she didn't quite know where to go with the story, so instead of relying on her skills as an author she leaned heavily on the ability of gore and horror to shock the reader. A disappointing read.
on 17 August 2015
How has it taken me so long to get to this book? I'm fangirling so hard right now...

I loved this read. I loved, loved, loved this read. Guys…I really loved this book.

Raffe was just yum and Penryn was such an amazing heroine. They both kicked backside to next Tuesday and it was awesome. This duo is seriously one of the best things ever.

I don't even know what to say…I just can't even.

This book had everything I like in a read. It had tension between characters, I mean, they're meant to be enemies but Penryn is desperate to get her sister back. There's suspense coming out of your ears, there's loads of action that has you reading pages over and over again out of excitement and there's a little humour thrown in for good measure.

I don't have a bad thing to say about this one and I know that I'll never get sick of rereading it. I can't wait to get the next two. Please check this one out if you haven't. It's something special.
*I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. Thanks to Bookbridgr and Hodder & Stoughton*

Six weeks ago angels came to Earth. They brought havoc and destruction.
Penryn is doing everything she can to keep her mother and younger, disabled sister Paige safe.
Then an angel takes Paige and Penryn will do whatever it takes to get her back. Even made a deal with the enemy.

Wow. Angelfall is a rollercoaster of a book!
I really liked Penryn. She was tough and knew how to protect herself.
Raffe was a great character and I loved how he interacted with Penryn.
The plot was good and kept me gripped. The last 50 pages really made the book for me - they were packed with punches that just kept coming; when Penryn discovered what the angels had been up to I was horrified, especially at what they had been doing to the children.
The world that the author has created captures the imagination and is well thought out with some very twisted ideas.
I can't wait to read the next book!

Overall this was an enjoyable, unique read that I would definitely recommend.
on 25 September 2012
I bought Angelfall because it was cheap on Kindle so I wasn't expecting too much. As far as I'm aware, it's not particularly well known so you'd be forgiven for thinking that Angelfall isn't up to much. Not so. This book is different from anything I've ever read. It tells the story of Penryn, a teenage girl who lives in a post-apocalyptic world taken over by angels. When several angels capture her sister, Penryn must brave this new, terrifying world with a rather ironic companion: Raffe, an angel.

Angelfall isn't your average YA novel and as such I would recommend this to teens and adults alike. Instead what you'll find in Angelfall is something deep, real and meaningful that will stay with you long after you read it. Take Penryn's family; her mother is mentally ill and her sister Paige can't walk. There is a strong dose of reality in Angelfall, with issues seldom touched upon in teenage fiction finally being acknowledged. This is not a book to gloss over life's troubles and difficulties.

The thing I love the most about Angelfall is that it feels so real. Ee knows this world so well, and the characters that inhabit it, you can almost imagine that she was once Penryn, living through these very events. Penryn herself is different from most YA heroines, who in my experience tend to be of the Bella variety rather than the Katniss variety: doe-eyed and meek with no backbone. But not Penryn. Penryn is made from the same mould as Katniss: feisty and brave in spite of her fears, and yet loves her family fiercely.

There are enough twists and turns in the story to make Angelfall unpredictable and at times shocking. Together with this and the fast-paced action, I found this book to be unputdownable. If you are considering reading this book I have two words for you: Do It. You will not regret reading this brilliant book. I can't recommend it enough.
on 26 January 2015
I initially fell in love with the cover and blurb and then it sat on my kindle for a year and my first thought is.... why did I wait so long?!?!?

Part of me is in a way glad because I didn't have to wait for book two and three is out in a few months... it worked to my advantage in the long run!

I knew I would be reading about angels and I do love a book about angels but I didn't quite know what I was getting myself into when I first started reading but it didn't take long for me to fall in love with the world Susan created or the way she writes. All I can say is I could quite happily live in Susan's mind, as long as Raffe is there hehe. Within the first chapter I had fallen in love with Penryn and her family and knew this was a book I would love and I wasn't let down at all. Fallen angels, surprises at every turn, fighting and humans as pets what's not to love. I could not stop reading I needed to find out what was happening next and the further I got into the book the more I was drawn in and silently willing Penryn on in my mind. It really is an amazing book!!
VINE VOICEon 4 November 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect of this story but the description interested me and I thought I'd give it a go. I'm so glad that I did. Set on post Apocalypse Earth, it shows how society can both disintegrate and pull together (depending upon where you happen to find yourself). It also features an interesting twist on the subject of Angels and how they, like humans, have split into different factions.
The novel raises some interesting questions. How would you survive if society as you knew it had fallen apart? What would you do to protect yourself and your family? How would you get your head around the fact that Angels aren't what you expected them to be?
The author's storytelling is strong and whilst the ending isn't what you might hope it does set up nicely for a sequel which I hope won't be long in coming. There are still a lot of questions that need to be answered and the story still has lots of legs.
on 12 August 2012
Wow! This has to be my favourite read in 2012 so far! It's not a fluffy, pretty read. In fact the post-apocalyptic atmosphere is pretty disturbing and shockingly violent, but there's still room for humour and even a little romance. I think the relationship between Penryn and Raffe is one of the best I've ever encountered in a book. All characters are extremley well developed and contribute to the overall storyline, which sets this book apart from so many other YA books in this genre. There is no glossing over the hardships they have to face. An epic, creep-tastic story that is not to be missed. I started this book today and was not able to put it down. Do yourself a favour and get it :)