on 16 February 2014
This book was a well written narrative, very descriptive, & horrifying to read.
I could not believe it was possible for any human being to treat any other human being so badly ! For some of these Slave Owners to imagine that these Black People were not human Beings ?!!! It makes you wonder how they were educated.
Thank goodness Solomon Northup was strong enough to get through such an horrific twelve years & be able to tell the world his story.
on 1 February 2014
I just love this book, although the genteel embellishment of that by gone era did take a little getting used, now I am getting a better understanding of his story. So far, as a person who tries to put myself in the shoes of other people, what happened to him is a mind blowing step to try and take. I found it horrifying an almost crushing of and frightening blow to the, until then, total belief that such as this could happen at all to any living person
on 24 February 2014
The book gave me a real historical perspective whilst being very engaging. I was surprised that I enjoyed it quite so much.
on 1 May 2014
This is a brilliant book so very clearly describing the horrors of being a slave in America. Very touching and a true story
on 19 March 2014
The whole book is ok ,it winds it's way along with the hardship of the main character. He keeps his real free life a secret to avoid greater hardship. A lot of the book makes you think...Roots..I haven't seen the film but I honestly can't see what all the fuss is about .
I did find some of the text a little difficult to understand as it included many descriptive words not used in our language today..much.
I was pleased when I finished it.
on 18 August 2014
A real miscarriage of justice. That a race can subject another race to such subjugation by such brute force is beyond my imagination.
If I can proceed to watch the movie I do not know.
That until this day the human race has not learnt enough to stop the abhorring act of slavery, is so sad.
That one day all human shall be judged not by the colour of their skin, but by the content of their character.....MLK,still remains a distant dream.
on 22 March 2014
The author was clearly the victim and witness to one of the most despicable periods in history. The writing was so brilliant that the he manages to maintain a level of objectivity that seems somewhat impossible, given the circumstances. I believe this book should be required reading in secondary school. The graphic detail is important to impress upon every generation so it will never be forgotten. This story will stay with me for a very long time.
on 22 February 2014
A book stating the facts of the abhorrent trafficking of slaves and the abhorrent masters who lack any sense of humanity .
on 16 December 2015
Bought this book as it was on offer, due to the publicity from the film. What a compelling book. Written in 1853 I thought this would be a hard read, I could not have been more wrong and I could not put this book down. The book an often horrific account of the authors capture and treatment throughout the years of his enslavement sit alongside his hopes and dreams of freedom. An important and thought provoking book, a story I will never forget.
on 23 March 2014
A harrowing recount of the immense cruelty humanity subjects it's own kind to behind the thinly shrouded veil of democratic lawfulness when in actual fact greed and power are the sole object of their purpose. This is a story of slavery which can be run parallel to equally abhorrent human injustices that are still sprinkled liberally across our planet by people intent on believing they are superior to another. Deeply moving and tragically relevant.