on 23 September 2013
I would recommend this book to anyone and it should be compulsory for pupils and students of ages over 12
on 30 August 2013
Exciting story but a lot of very technical details in it. I am 53% through it and so far, no illustrations!
on 9 December 2012
I have been wanting to read this for ages and when I finally bought it I wasn't disappointed! This books awesome
on 1 December 2014
It's a classic
on 6 May 2012
I bought this for my young nephew, as I thought it would be a good way to introduce him to "the classics".
I couldn't put it down when it arrived, very colourful and very good dialogue.
Of course my nephew was the same.
I have since ordered "war of the worlds" from the same series, and thats a winner too.
on 21 February 2014
IT'S Jules Verne that's the first reason to get this book and read it. Read this book when I was about 11 or 12 years old,that's a long while ago. Saw this book on free books for kindle, so decided to 're read it. Glad I did. As an adult can see that captain Nemo is or has become the thing he hates. And the three people rescued by captain Nemo ,change their views as the voyage progresses. Whilst as a youngster it was a boys own type of story. Showing Verne's amazing gift of insight ie nuclear powered submarine, scuba gear and a electric weapon that could be said to be a kind taser.The book is far better than the 1950s film. A good read for young and old in my humble opinion.
on 17 March 2012
I bought this for my son, and he thouroughly enjoyed it.....You cannot get value like this very often, and the classics are still some of the bet reads around...
on 5 March 2017
Actual rating 4.5 stars.

I completely and utterly fell in love with this book. To me this is exactly what an adventure book should be like. There are pirates and mystery and hidden caves.

I have to disagree with the synopsis stating that Captain Nemo is one of the most horrible villains as I have to say I really related to him and I'm certainly not a villain! Yes he has killed people, usually only when they are attacking him and his ship. To be able to go so completely off the grid and survive off the land, or in this case the sea and to find hidden wonders that no one else has ever seen sounds absolutely wonderful! To be so intelligent and continue your learning indefinitely within your own personal library, I'd imagine that quite a few people would enjoy this.

Professor Aronnax and his personal servant Conseil have an extremely strong bond and have a mutual respect that is good to see. Ned Land though to me is another far more interesting character as he is a rugged adventurer from Canada who has seen the world and needs to be out there to really live. He struggles with captivity and suffers from cabin fever which you can feel through the excellent writing.

There is a lot of scientific, nautical and geographical language used throughout the book and a lot of classification of sea life is done, but this did not take away any enjoyment for me as I enjoyed searching online what things meant when I didn't understand and learning, I enjoyed the learning.

Hopefully I will have time in the future to come back and re read Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea so I can revisit Captain Nemo and enter his exciting underwater world.
on 17 December 2013
I've heard of Nemo and the Nautilus but never before read the book or seen the movie, so brought this book not knowing what to expect. Generally it's a good read, this edition had several spelling mistakes, sometimes it wanders off track being a bit over descriptive. But I guess when this was written a lot of the sea creatures had never been seen only ever existed in tales. All in all a good read but you will ask yourself who is captain nemo and why was he like that?
on 20 June 2015
A book written in the mid 19th Century, imagines a trip around the globe in a submarine.
Jules Verne created one of the best known character s in literature when he wrote of Captain Nemo and his futuristic submersible The Nautilus. A great adventure, which can drag a little as the narrator ( a naturalist specializing in the oceans) lists every form of fauna that passes the viewing ports of the vessel. This is none-the-less a cracking yarn that is full of imagination and takes us around the Victorian globe by sea.
Worth reading if you love H.G. Wells, John Wyndam or any classic Science fiction.