on 14 May 2017
Compatibility of Garmin Heart Monitor Strap ant+
This heart monitor strap will work with any device that is compatible with any+. In my case I use it with the Garmin Fenix 5. It's a simple setup of pairing it one time only with your watch. Go to the heart monitor section of the watch and have the strap within 30cm of the watch. Set the watch to search for devices and it will find the heart monitor. Then on subsequent uses it will automatically pair with the strap. I've attached a photo of the devices it is compatible with but it will work with any ant+ device.

The Heart Monitor
It comes in 2 bits. A strap and the heart monitor. When you want to use it just click the monitor into the strap. Attach the strap on your chest and add a little water to the black patches that attach to your skin for a good contact. Once done the reading is almost instant. When you finish using it remove the monitor from the strap to save battery power.

According to the instructions the battery can last for four and a half years with usage of 1 hour per day. To replace the battery you need a Phillips screw driver to remove the 4 screws on the monitor. The battery is a CR2032 battery.

The strap itself is a comfortable soft fabric. I find it comfortable to wear. You need to wash the strap after a few uses to keep the heart monitor readings consistent and then let it air dry.

Tips
If the reading is erratic apply water to the 4 electrode black patches on the strap. Tighten the strap to your chest. Warm up for a few minutes and wear a cottage shirt.

I've found this the best Heart Monitor strap I've had so far.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
13 people found this helpful
on 2 July 2017
Works well (more accurate than the wrist hr on my forerunner 235) like the way that once paired it connects automatically and when removed from chest goes back the the wrist hr
9 people found this helpful
on 23 November 2017
I bought this to work with a Garmin Fenix 5 as, sadly, on its own the Fenix 5 won't pick up my heart rate on my rowing machine. I've been using this for about a month and so far so good. The assembly (if you can call it that) is dead easy: simply click the plastic monitor on to the band (remove it if you want to wash the band/replace the battery). Syncing the monitor with the Fenix 5 was easy and the band auto-syncs with the Fenix 5 whenever I select a row on the Fenix. Now, all of my rows are fully logged in the Garmin app. The band itself is fully adjustable. I have it quite loose and it still stays put and picks up my hear rate just fine.

No complaints; does exactly what it's supposed to.
5 people found this helpful
on 26 May 2016
If you've ever had Garmin products it's exactly as you'd expect in terms of quality. Fast delivery, good price & a great bit of kit.

Took a few minutes of amending the length to fit perfectly & a minute to sync to my devices.

Really comfortable to wear & easy to clean.
6 people found this helpful
on 15 March 2018
After one workout with this, I'm delighted.
Easy to set up & pair with my old Samsung S4 - just needed the ANT+ plugins Enabling.
(Make sure your device is ANT+ compatible - it does NOT use Bluetooth).
Once paired I followed instructions and fitted chest strap (I used an electrode gel on the pickups to aid measurement) then started teh Cardio Training app.
It worked accurately straight away - much better than my old Polar H7. That **** used to spend 5 minutes swinging wildly from 0BPM to 280 then 33 then 240 etc. No wild outliers with this, as the attached screenshot shows. (Cardio Training App worked with it easily too.)
Some people here say changing battery is going to be tricky, but after trying this on the Polar (no new batteries would work but old one would - Google it) I'm not afraid.
Price seems very fair, happy customer.
review image
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 14 June 2018
I got thoroughly fed up with my Vivosport HR when doing exercise. Although pretty accurate for resting heart rate, it underreads by 30-40 BPM for the first 10-13 mins of exercise (sneakily Garmin say you have to "Warm up for 10 mins before exercising - because that's apparently how long this tech takes to get an accurate reading). Anyway, bought the premium HR strap to get accurate data.

The strap is easy to adjust and needed very little effort to pair with my Edge cycle computer. The battery will last longer than your bike so no issues there! I find I don't know I'm wearing it and it is pretty accurate when compared against a physical count. It is very easy to keep it clean as you just unclip the transmitter/;battery and take it in the shower. Very pleased with the results.
on 28 August 2017
It doesn't pair with cardio equipment like my Polar H7 sensor does.

Also the adjustment buckles on the strap itself are awful, its overly complicated and not straightforward in the least to loosen or tighten the strap.

That being said I have not experienced the chaffing of the infamous 'Garmin scar' that other users that have reviewed this strap experienced. I find it quite comfortable but because of the first two points I mentioned, this product does not deserve a favourable rating.
One person found this helpful
on 23 November 2014
Works well and fits well but the battery lasted longer than the unit, it has packed up after barely three months use. I'm just about to contact garmin and will post the reply.

Update. The Garmin customer services seem to be excellent. I rang on their customer care number, was put through within 30 seconds. I explained the situation, there was no haggling or wanting the unit back for repair. They just offered to send out a free replacement. I can't complain about that. All they need to do now is to ensure their products are as good as the service. On that basis alone, I'd buy future Garmin products.
8 people found this helpful
on 3 August 2017
Hate that I have to buy one of these every year or so... why o why are they not reliable... Oh.. much like everything Garmin!
3 people found this helpful
on 13 March 2018
I’ve had 3 of these and eventually they will all pack in dropping signals and not pairing etc . Was recommended a wahoo Tickr no issues so far
2 people found this helpful