Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.33

on 22 April 2013
Although I am still reading this book I am finding it very intriguing. The author shows an infinity with young children and their thought processes. She is very good with the adult characters as well. She also paints a picture of the Welsh mountains and landscape like a native of those parts.
I look forward to reading other works by Babs Horton in the future.
on 2 November 2014
I've not had the pleasure of hearing Babs Horton read aloud from her work, but her prose carries the rhythm of a folk tale expounded before a roaring fire of black Welsh coal as the unforgiving wind batters at the window.
This story takes the reader back to a baking heatwave whose power drives out almost every dirty secret from its hiding place as four vividly drawn children suffer the trials and tribulations of their narrow existence in a village fraught with poverty, despair and madness.
Gripping, charming and disturbing by turns; tragic and comic in equal measure, yet she shows how love is triumphant if you can rise from the coal-black mud to find magic in the likeliest places.
on 17 March 2013
Had me captivated from page 1. I was born in the 50s and this book captures the time beautifully from the descriptions of the clothes, sweeties, buildings, right down to the rhymes we said as kids. You lived the story along with Iffy and the others and laughed and cried with them through to the end. What characters! A joy to read. Marvellous - writing at its best.
on 22 May 2013
A beautifully written book in every respect. The desciptions and the setting are worthy of Dylan Thomas, in some ways very poetic. The characters, particularly Fatty, are perfectly drawn. I certainly hope Babs Horton has more in the pipe-line.
on 19 March 2016
I throughly enjoyed this book, it brought back lots of memories of places long gone but told beautiful story with a twist I didn't expect. very well written I can't wait to read the next book
on 29 September 2015
Babs Horton is the best writer around today.
She can tell a story like no other from a child's view. and Holy Mackerel is the funniest book I have read in a long time.
on 9 December 2015
I loved this book. The language flows beautifully and the story telling from the point of view of the children is both funny and poignant. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 10 May 2014
I absolutely love this book . It's so around tge time I was this age group in tge sixties. She writes with such lovely humour and I just loved it to peices.
on 13 May 2013
Know the author and love her work - her stories can have you in fits of laughter and floods of tears
on 13 January 2016
Excellent read - would recommend to anyone living in the Welsh valleys!