on 13 September 2015
Having read many negative reviews of this product I thought I'd pass on my experience for people to make of it what they will.
Firstly I bought the ikettle not as some sort of toy or something to impress my friends with. I bought this kettle because I'm a disabled man with severe mobility problems. Every step for me is a painful one. I first saw this product advertised as coming soon on Flipboard magazine almost two years ago I believe. As soon as I could I bought the ikettle from the only seller at that time Firebox. At first I had a hell of a job getting it to connect to my wifi but once connected it worked as advertised. This lasted for about a week when I found it was dropping connection to my wifi. I contacted the seller which wasn't too difficult a process, certainly not in the same league as phoning the electricity company etc. The person on the other end of the phone was very polite and helpful telling me to get the base of my faulty ikettle sent back and by return of post I would receive a working one. A couple of days later the new base to my ikettle arrived, connected to my wifi with little problem and I was back in business.
For the following 16 months or so the ikettle gave me fairly trouble free service. It was a joy to fill it up at night on my way to bed safe in the knowledge that when I woke the following day I could reach for my phone turn my ikettle on and have it cheerfully simmering away as I hobbled into my kitchen to make my coffee.
A warning to would be purchasers! Do not overfill your ikettle or allow the base to become soaked in water. This after 16 or so months is what happened to mine and it completely gave up the ghost. All it would do when I tried to use it was make strange electronic noises.
Again I contacted the customer service department explaining what had happened.
At first they sent me an email saying I had to contact Firebox. Basically they gave me the bums rush lol. However, full marks to them in that after I explained my situation to them in a non abusive email they changed their minds and as a gesture of good will they said they would send me a new replacement base.
In my experience there are very few companies these days who would show such compassion and generosity to their customers.
As a product, the ikettle is a very good product. No its not the most well built kettle I've ever used but it's far from being the worst. If you treat it decently, don't smash it around the place or allow it to get consistently drenched in water then, in my experience, it'll serve you very well.
When this one eventually packs up, would I buy another ikettle? = Yes I would. Would I recommend this product to a friend? =Yes I would... I hope this relaying of my own personal experience is of some help to those thinking about buying an ikettle.. Good luck. Peter L. P. S. I've knocked one star off for the difficulties I had with the product but given 4 stars primarily for the customer service that I've received which has been second to none. Bye.
11 comment| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 December 2014
It does what it says on the tin pretty well. However with the excellent addition of wifi activated boiling of the kettle, it highlights some features that need to be added.

First of all since the kettle is connected to wifi, there needs to be an online account you can login into to boil the kettle when you are near home on 3G or 4g from your phone - currently this is not possible only on your own wifi at home.

Secondly it is now very easy to forget to fill the kettle. Since you are not physically next to the kettle when you start it there is no way of checking. Even if you are next to the kettle, there is no window to see how filling is at a glance. A sensor that measures the amount of water in the kettle is an important addition.
44 comments| 68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2015
If it was possible to give a zero I would have. It's a great concept but the build quality is appalling. I am on the 4th replacement because the lids have failed on the previous 3. For something so expensive it's disappointing that the kettle fails to meet that price point. Don't waste your money would be my advice.
on 2 April 2015
Great idea and works. I keep having to re establish the connection, but I fear that is my rubbish wifi not the kettle. However, it takes less than 30 seconds to re establish the network. Overall, really pleased.
on 30 May 2015
It is a very good kettle. The functions work well. If it drops the wifi signal you seem to have to go back and programme again. Take the thing right over to your router (wherever that is in your home), change to the kettle's wifi, tap in password etc. This can irritate. However it is the business and tea does taste different at 95 degrees.
on 28 August 2015
The lid won't stet closed and amazon won't let me return it for warranty repair even though its less than a year old!!!!!!!
44 comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 May 2015
Love the functionality, but I have had an issue with the lid staying down (which the lovely company are swiftly fixing). Being able to turn on your kettle from bed, or from the sofa, really does feel like a luxury - you just need to remember to refill it after use. Seems to use a lot of electricity, mind.

UPDATE: My replacement unit - while swiftly despatched - also has a faulty lid, so I've reduced my stars. Such a shame because it's a wonderful kettle otherwise.

UPDATE #2: I've now been waiting for a replacement for my original replacement kettle for several months. The manufacturers keep saying they're expecting stock soon, yet that doesn't seem to be the case. It's now too late for me to return my order to Amazon for a refund too, so I'm stuck with a kettle that broke well within the warranty period. What an expensive mistake this was.
on 27 February 2015
complicated and cant switch on if you are out of range of your home network. Lid does not fit properly. just over a year old and has now needed to be replaced as it no longer works correctly does not start properly as it thinks it is not on the base dont waste your money buy a better kettle for less
on 26 August 2015
Poor build quality, after a few weeks the lid would not close properly resulting in the kettle boiling for about 2 minutes before switching off. Would not recommend.
on 30 May 2015
Loved the concept, but the same as lots of people, it's our 2nd as the lid is faulty and doesn't close after a few weeks of use therefore takes too long to boil and changed our wifi provider and spent hours trying to reconnect ... 2nd one also faulty