TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 February 2014
Firstly,what a lovely voice - strong and crystal clear, you can hear every word. They said exactly the same about Ella Fitzgerald!
Her work with Gospel Choirs comes over loud and clear with this album. I really liked `Green Garden' and `Sing to the Moon', which clearly are the better tracks on the album.
This is a little different and original, but I do feel there's more to come, either by branching out or becoming a very strong live act - she has the voice to do that. I can see her doing some old classics to great effect and perhaps getting a little funkier or jazzier as time goes on. This is lovely listening music but overall it could have stirred me more?
The album is very good, it's immediately pleasant and makes you sit up and listen and say, "Hay, this is really good, I like this." However, it's four stars rather than five stars - but I have a feeling she'll get there quite soon - the talent is obvious.
on 14 September 2013
Just played through this album for about the 12th time and I can't tell when each track has ended and the next one began...it's a continuous ribbon of sound and vocal images that keeps me enthralled. I was initially intrigued by Laura's media style (i.e. the cropped hair, sky scraper heels and beautiful ethereal face - then the music came and I have been hooked). She has more to give - and I'm not disappointed. If a person is looking for a traditional soul/jazz/funk experience it's best not to buy this album (it's too sophisticated to be pigeonholed). She has cleverly titled her album 'Sing to the Moon'- I must agree she has communicated her music in a beautiful way and it is quite 'out of this world'. My personal favourites - Can't Live with the World - the lyrics and voice are pure and simple and yet it draws you in like an unsettling lullaby for adults! Is there Anybody Out There? is also a glassy track - all shiny and sharp and clear...love it, love, love!
One person found this helpful
on 5 April 2015
Absolutely love this woman, the album is utterly enchanting. Words that spring to mind when I think of the songs are magical and enchanting, listening to songs like Can't Live Without You transport me to an enchanted, magical forest - simply beautiful. I first heard of Laura on the Graham Norton show with her Green Garden single which I absolutely loved. Listening to the snippets of the rest of the songs I wasn't sure if I'd like it as they seemed quite slow. But having listened to the whole album in full all I can say is WOW. This woman is awesome, my ears are met with a beautiful wall of sound and faultless layered harmonies, intricate instrumentation and powerful emotive singing reminscent of Nina Simone.

I can't recommend this album highly enough, so good to know there is still genuine talent out there.
on 8 January 2017
Wonderful voice and great song writing, it's difficult not to admire the qualities of this British singer. I have the impression that she has an enormous potential and the humility to develop it step by step, avoiding any diva posturing. Mvula's style is fresh and original, her music sits firmly at the centre of the soul but her persona enlights every song with power and introspection.
on 12 December 2013
I was really excited to buy this album as I loved the Green Garden track, which was funky, lively and made me instantly want to smile and dance. However, I have to say I was a little disappointed in the rest of the album as none of the other tracks (bar one) have the same vibe. They are very relaxing and chilled out and absolutely Laura Mvula has a beautiful voice, but I didn't expect every other track to be so different from the one she released.

It is a beautiful album, just not what I expected when I bought it.
4 people found this helpful
on 20 June 2013
The music is fresh and original - to my mind it is perfect summer music. Very melodic, beautifully presented with very original arrangements. It's refreshing to hear acoustic instruments. There is not a bad song here! I bought the LP version (so I can read the sleeve notes and see the photo's) and the vinyl quality is superb.
I strongly urge people to buy a decent record deck and pre-amp and start using vinyl again!
I recommend this album to anyone and everyone!
on 17 March 2013
I bought this on the strength of one song, having seen Laura Mvula singing Green Garden on a TV programme. Upon first listening to the album, I was a little disappointed, I would have liked there to have been a few more up-tempo tracks. BUT... having listened to this a few times now, I can't stop playing it! Mvula's voice is rich, with such a warm tone to it. On the slower numbers, you can really appreciate her vocal abilities, plus, she's a home-grown talent. The stand out song for me is Green Garden, a little reminiscent of Nina Simone. I'm glad I bought this. I expect big things ahead for Laura Mvula.
on 9 March 2013
While so much music is being released from disposable artists who put hardly any thought into their music, it is nice to hear something from an artist who boasts real longevity within the industry.

After hearing Laura's music a while ago and purchasing other music of hers, I knew that I had to buy her album and it was worth every penny. Sit back, relax and unwind to the soulful tones of Laura Mvula, for she is the future of British soul music.
on 13 March 2013
A really fantastic album from a beautiful lady of immense charm and intelligence - just see her interviews. Birmingham has a fantastic attitude to the arts and if Laura has, in even the smallest part, benefited from that, it has all been more than worthwhile.
Laura may get labelled as a soul artist, but she has a unique take on the genre. The album is not all sublime, but it is never worse than thoroughly entertaining.
on 25 September 2013
Awesome talent evident at first sight on tv, such a songwriter with the voice to deliver. The album should be listened to in sequence, as it is so well planned and the transition through the tracks melts into one complete and satisfying journey. When the last track ends you'll find yourself waiting through the silence hoping for just one more. So play it again, .......... and again.
One person found this helpful