Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 15 April 2008
I'd always enjoyed being read and later reading myself the Just So Stories. With children of my own I started them on these stories and having a cd of them means we can enjoy them on the move. The joy of hearing Jonnie Morris' super animal voice characterisations just adds to the enjoyment - takes me back to watching Animal Magic - deep joy!
Four year old daughter enjoys listening to the stories but my nine year old son has become a great fan - this now regularly is on his cd player in his room.
Buy this and you'll all be able to listen together and enjoy.
0Comment| 237 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 March 2001
Kipling's classic volume of stories concerns the great questions of history; How the Whale got his Throat, How the Camel got his Hump, How the Alphabet was Made and many other thorny dilemmas. The language is sophisticated yet often whimsical and children love to hear the words read aloud. It is tempting to scan ahead and change things, substitute more contemporary phrases for the old but, if you can, resist the urge. Kipling was a master of the language. His writing is balanced and fluid and while it may seem dated when taken piece by piece, its sum is far greater than its parts. Read The Cat that Walked by Himself and you will never look at your own pet in quite the same way again.
These stories are tremendous. I can't wait to share them with my daughter. They made me laugh with delight and are just chock full of quirky, off beat humour that seems so modern considering when they were written. They are filled with images to fire the imagination and the complementary illustrations are fabulous, although in this edition somewhat difficult to see on occasion. A must read for everyone.
on 8 February 2009
My 3 and 5 year old boys love listening to these Just So Stories in the car or in bed. The stories themselves are engaging and entertaining and Johnny Morris reads them very expressively, as those of us who grew up watching him on TV would expect. I would have rated it 5 stars but felt that there could have been more of the Just So stories on the disc.
on 16 September 2001
Incredibely funny, and so well told, the Just So Stories explain how everything, from the leopard's spots, to the alphabet, came into being. First read to me when I was a child, they grow better each telling and even now when I want something good to read my hand instantly wanders to this book on my shelf. Definitely recommended to children, teens, and adults alike, a super book all round.
on 31 March 2010
This is probably marketed to families with young children but both my 19yr old son and I really enjoyed listening in the car as a change from music. The stories are familiar to me at least but to hear them read by Johnny Morris was a delight. His marvellous voice and pace and ability to produce different appropriate voices for the animals and people in the stories really brought them to life, and the simplicity and repetition in the stories makes perfect sense when you hear them like this.
on 5 March 2001
The Just So Stories are a real pleasure to listen to. Tony Robinson, with his fantastic range of voices and tones brings to life a host of wonderful characters : man, woman and beast. Kipling's poetic language is thoroughly enjoyed and absorbed by my five year old son who requests the tape for every car journey, at bedtime, first thing in the morning (our first lie-in in years)and even of a rainy afternoon.He quotes lines from "How the whale got its throat", adores the story of the first cat "who walks by himself and all places are alike to me" and frequently comes out with gems of information about the pull of the tides and such like.This audio tape is great value for money giving two and a half hours of stories and poems with short well composed musical interludes. It is a far cry from those awful singalong tapes and is full of humour and interest that is enjoyed by the adults as much as the children.It makes a wonderful gift for any child and is a welcome distraction from the lure of t.v. and playstation.
on 6 August 2005
I bought this for my nearly 6 year old son. He has really enjoyed listening to the stories. He can listen to several or just a couple of stories depending on his mood.
on 16 April 2010
If you loved listening to Johnny Morris then this is for you. The way he reads the stories is great. Even my son (8) loves listening to them and he hasn't a clue who Johnny Morris is!
on 25 November 2013
This is a must buy. I bought this book for my children after hearing a captivating story (The cat story) on Radio 4. Very beautiful, old world style collection of short stories. Great for children and adults alike.