Customer reviews

Noir (Kindle Single)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.15

on 9 June 2017
I have never read a Kindle Single before, so, although I have read various short story collections, I have no concept of the quality of material available for comparison. I decided to read the story while browsing the Prime Reading catalogue.

I think we have all chosen books, aided by reviews, only to feel that we can't have been reading the same thing. Whereas many have found it unputdownable, although I loved the premise and felt that the tale had promise at the beginning, sadly I found quite early on that I wasn't pulled into the plot as I would expect to be by a short story - especially one that is just 26 pages long! I didn't feel immersed in Laura and Sam's film noir world (despite the fact that this was one of the main attractions for me), I didn't get a strong feeling of place or time, though I did sometimes get a gratifying sense of danger and urgency, especially in the last few pages, where the action hots up. I generally didn't find the writing very polished and the ending seemed a bit rushed, which didn't help me to feel very positive about the story. I read lots of crime books, some of which are decidedly noir, if that helps you to decide whether this is one for you. On the plus side, I did read the story at one sitting. If you have access to Prime Reading or Kindle Unlimited, then by all means give it a go; is not a long read - and I do seem to be in the minority.
on 10 March 2013
Really enjoyed this short story. I didn't know what to expect and started to read this on my lunch break...but then I wasn't able to put it down! This is a very well written and intriguing story with an unexpected ending. It's all very well pieced together, and I also enjoyed it's political and cultural backdrop.
on 8 March 2013
The Kindle Singles (or short stories as we used to call them) are a great marketing idea from Amazon.

This short story - and that is what it is - is very good indeed. Brave to use a genre as the title which sets the bar high - but she clears it with room to spare.

The only problem for me is that it was too short - I was engaging with the characters and the setting and then all too quickly it was over.

Still better to leave them wanting more. I look forward to reading soething longer from this author.
on 14 April 2013
Linda Mannheim has a unique voice, which leaves you wanting more. She knows noir inside out, simultaneously exploring and expanding the genre as this story of shadowy love and death unfolds. Highly recommended.
on 15 March 2013
This short story is an engaging read with both the dialogue and characters paying homage to the film genre of the title. I am new to the "Kindle Single" concept and was pleasantly surprised by the strength of plot and depth of the characters to be found in this piece of short fiction.
I am upset previous reviews may have included spoilers so I will say little about the plot. except it's twists and turns provided several surprises.
This is a great read and would be the perfect way to pass a long journey.
on 14 March 2013
This is a perfect example of a well crafted short story - earthy, dark, intriguing and gripping, set against a backdrop of US support of military dictatorships and death squads in Latin America. Distant yet still relevant today. Like a great film, it will leave you thinking about it long after you've finished reading. An impressive piece of writing and very much recommended.
on 11 March 2013
I enjoyed Noir, I found that I could not put it down, it was good that it is a short story as I would not have got any sleep the night I read it. I found the subject matter very interesting, quite dark in fact however I do think that it could be developed into a longer story.
on 24 August 2013
This is perfect vacation reading material. I didn't have time to start it before going on holiday, but once I did, I found I couldn't put it down. I particularly liked how the characters were drawn - flawed and all too human, people you could relate to. The storyline moved at a pace that kept me intrigued but was not so action packed that I risked failing to keep up. Intelligently crafted and well researched, this novel managed to capture my attention on many levels - the characterization, the storyline and the setting all combined to make this a very enjoyable read, even if your holiday destination is worlds apart from Miami!
on 18 March 2013
Just finished Noir - thought it was great - so atmospheric, loved the setting and the way the it tied together in the end, I was really gripped and read straight through.
on 12 April 2013
I really enjoyed this story. It was moody and had a good sense of space, with a foreboding sense of impending storm. The character is believable and the story mirrors the noir theme. It is also suspenseful. I wondered about the relationship of the main character and the implications of her actions with both her partner and with the newer character. Is there remorse for her actions?