Platform: PC|Change

Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've tried various versions of Corel Video Studio Pro (they've dropped the Pro from this version, though) and always found it a bit 'My First Video Editor', however with X6 it may have stepped up a bit.

It's always had a fair stack of features, but customizing them has always been restricted or awkward meaning that anything you produce with it has a bit of an amateurish feel. It's never good using loads of the transitions and overlays included with NLE software, but if you can suitably customize the effects then you can end up with something unique and more understated (read 'professional looking'!).

It's still not massively intuitive when trying to customize things, but I did get further with X6 than I have with previous versions, so there's a definite improvement there.

The inclusion of ProDad Mercali and Boris Graffiti go a long way towards helping you make a professional looking production. These are very good tools and BG particularly, rather than the stock title effects, will really help a production.

New features such as 4K support and the motion tracking titles are interesting. I'm not sure why anyone with kit capable of capturing 4K video would use a budget editor like this right now, but I suppose as 4K kit comes down in price it may make sense to be familiar with a software package - I just don't see the 4K price coming down much very soon.

The motion tracking titles and overlays (and path editing for objects in general) actually works very well and creates some nice effects that are both smooth in appearance and effective. My only issue being that applying these effects is not as intuitive as it could be. Creating a motion tracking path and then replacing that with a title repeatedly resulted in titles that were far smaller than I expected - though they did track very nicely! If you do a search on YouTube you can find some Corel training videos that show a much simpler way of using the motion tracking (create the track without an associated object, then right click on the overlay you want to follow the track and associate that with the appropriate motion track) - tellingly it involves un-checking a default setting every time you create a track.. see what I mean by unintuitive?

I should, though, say that I am absolutely not dismissing the bundled effects. Some of them are very very nice. The clouds effect and the wave effect in particular are very well rendered and the waves effect in particular is very customizable meaning fluttering flags from images etc are very easy to create and very convincing. The simple transitions such as the fades, wipes, peels etc are very well done and genuinely useful.

A lot of reviewers have had stability issues with this version. I'm pleased to say that I didn't have any while testing - and that was a bug surprise to me. I'm a Pinnacle Studio user by choice - another product now owned by Corel - and the latest version of that software (version 16) has proven a nightmare on my hardware so I was expecting bad things here.

[UPDATE: After another few hours of testing this pretty heavily with some 1080p footage, motion tracking, various overlays and transitions I'm happy to say that I still have had no crashing issues whatsoever!]

The only 'stability' issues I did see were to do with plugins. When opening up the settings editor for New Blue effects I was briefly greeted by a screen promoting New Blue's wares, quickly followed by a registration screen. Unfortunately these screens immediately disappeared behind the main Video Studio Pro window BUT kept focus meaning that I couldn't click on the popups to close them, bring them to the front of the screen to interact with them or continue to work in the editor. (the fix was to right click on the task bar icon and select 'Close' which brought the dialogs to the front where I could cancel them. Video Studio pro did not close at this point but after closing the two dialogs I was able to return to the main screen and continue what I was doing!)

In the past I've uninstalled Video Studio Pro and continued using Pinnacle Studio and CyberLink Power Director to achieve everything I've wanted to do. I think X6 will be staying on my machine - not as my primary editing package, but certainly now a useful addition to my video toolbox.

[UPDATE: The extra few hours of testing have really bumped this package up in my opinion. My gut feeling at this point is that Video Studio Ultimate X6 will now replace Power Director as my second line NLE. It will probably actually be the first call for some project from now on.. and that's after more than 10 years of very heavy Pinnacle Studio use!]

[UPDATE June 2013: Well I've now had my first crash - last night on a project I've been working on for a good few weeks now. I was moving an overlay graphic and the application froze completely. I crashed out of it using task manager - a pretty sever way to shut down any application - and on restarting Video Studio offered to recover the project that was open when it crashed. It recovered perfectly and the only changes missing from the recovered project were the ones I was making to the position of the overlay when the application crashed! I hadn't saved the project for a good 20 minutes or so and had made a lot of changes in that time and all of those were recovered perfectly. Yet another big tick from me then - crashes are almost inevitable in complex software like this, for me the measure of good software is how well it recovers and Video Studio Pro did that brilliantly.]
on 10 May 2013
I bought x5; using the "Do More" tab, I downloaded lots of free extra content - templates, titles etc. I then saw x6, advertised at a "special discount" to upgrade. I was tempted by the new features, so I upgraded. The number of titles available to me dropped from more than 80 to 54. Templates that I had installed - eg "sci fi" were no longer there Yet when I clicked on the "Do More" tab, it told me that sci fi was there, and already installed, so no option to install again.

Then began six-eight weeks of emails with their "support" team. I uninstalled x5, to completely free up x6. Nothing changed. I reinstalled x5 - and there were all 80-plus titles again. No trace in x6. I then uninstalled, as their instructions, both x5 and x6, reinstalled x6 with a new code they gave me - and found that not only was I still down to 54 titles, but I had now lost the Boris plug-in as well.

My last email to them asked, in very plain language, "why can't I get the 80-plus titles in x6, where has Boris gone, and why does it tell me the sci-fi template is installed when it is nowhere to be found." I think those questions are quite straight forward and understandable. The reply? "Please sign this form, return it to us, destroy your disk and we will give you a full refund." That, I am afraid, is NOT my definition of the word "support", that is "we can't find a quick fix to your problem, so we are giving up."

I have one other minor issue with the software: I use such packages to put my family holiday films etc onto DVDs. What I have done in the past, for some fun etc, is devised family logos etc. When I used Pinnacle, the DVD would start, up would come the logo, and THEN you would reach the DVD menu. With Corel, you have no option at all about where the DVD menu goes. If you opt to use the menu, it is automatically inserted at the very start of your DVD, with no option for any title screen, copyright notices or anything else on screen before the menu appears. According to their support team, they think it would be a good idea if you COULD put the menu's elsewhere, and are going to mention this to their technical people. But I wont be holding my breath.

As it is, I am currently flitting between the two versions of the software (using up a nice bit of unnecessary disc pace) depending on how many or which titles and templates I want to use compared to what new features I want to use.

I want to like this software, I like the features (in theory) - I am just very frustrated by the niggles, and the frankly unsupportive "support" from Corel.
VINE VOICEon 28 April 2013
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you're the kind of filmmaker who shoots in 4K resolution (8.3 megapixels) then you're probably going to be spending money on a lot more sophisticated editing software than this. But I suppose as the technology refines and becomes more commonplace it might become more affordable. Still, it's a nice feature.

As for the software itself - it is a decent package, if hardly revolutionary. Corel lead the market on photo editing software but aren't quite there when it comes to video. With a nice amount of tools such as video stabilization and color-grading (which I am not too keen on) it is worth money. If you've worked with video editing packages before you will be whisking through this one in no time, if not it is still very user-friendly and easy-going with all the usual text options and transitions. You can render your movies in the usual list of formats including MP4, MPEG-4, AVC and WMV. The sound is in Dolby Digital too, btw. Apparently you can link it to your YouTube account for direct uploads but I never initiated this as I feel safer doing it manually.

Any first-timers looking for a video editing package will certainly get their money's worth with VideoStudio X6. It is stable and features enough tools satisfy your basic editing needs - and in 4K resolution too, should you need it.
on 27 July 2013
I have a maximum spec Vaio PC, Core i7, Windows 8. Despite this and despite ten hours' efforts and several installs and uninstalls, the software doesn't work at all. The main video editing software crashes as soon as I try to perform any edit and it's impossible to install any of the proDAD plugins. The product is misrepresented as being compatible with Windows 8. It isn't, as a number of users complain on Corel's own forum. Zero usefulness. Total waste of money.
on 23 August 2013
The new Videostudio X6 Pro Ultimate is REALLY IMPROVED!
I am user of several Videostudio versions, since early 2007 (9, X2 Pro and X5).
I had serious problems with the earlier versions (especially many crashes
during several stages of video editing and problems with synchronization).

I tried the new X6 (64 bit) for more than 3 months and i can ensure that this
is the FIRST videostudio i ever tried, without any functional problems.
The X5 was also working properly enough, but sometimes it could not read some
projects (created with X5!!!). That means losing my work!
BUT: When the X6 appeared, the same projects were loadable again (with X6!!!)

As i said, i highly recommend the X6 Version, but i want to emphasize that i
didn't tested the CREATE DISK yet.

Now, the MINUS points are less than in the X5 version:

1. After so many years of improving videostudio, it is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE
that it's STILL impossible to work precisely with Gamma, Brightness, Saturation etc!!
There is no +- button (or less sensitivity) for increasing/decreasing the values.
We have to PULL the button with the mouse to change the value.
That makes very difficult or even impossible to make small and precise changes,
like +1 or -1, etc.
I's also impossible to copy/paste text into subtitles or to change the size and
other properties in multiple subtitles simultaneously!

2. The "zoom" button has been placed into the right side of the panel.
That makes me to move often the mouse over a long distance: right-left-right-left
and it makes me nervous. I prefer the old location of the X2 version.

I am not sure if i will buy this version or wait for the X7, because i really wish
some functions to be improved and some others to be available (more color/brightness
control) etc, as in CyberLink PowerDirector 11 (which is great but it seems to have
significant problems in stability and also significant speed problems even in the menus).
So, if someone can't wait for the (possible) upgraded X7 version, i ABSOLUTELY RECOMMEND
the X6 version.

For all what i wrote above, i evaluate this program with -2 stars.
COREL: It' should be very easy now (and it's time!) to make a "big step" in X7 and get 5 stars!

I hope the next version will be crash-free as well and then.. the only thing left are some
improvements and adds for more control for color AND for Video mixing.
on 31 January 2014
This is my third version of CVS having had X2 and X5 previously. I did have a few problems with X6 as I did not want this version to be loaded into my almost full SSD 'C; drive. When I opened the programme for the first time it was in a dreadful mess and unusable all due to my messing with the destination folder on the computer. The good thing about X6 is that when it is uninstalled it actually does just that and all aspects of the programme go, and there doesn't seem to be any remnants left behind as X2 or X5 left behind. Ultimately (no pun intended) I did have to clear some space on the 'C' drive and allow it it to settle where it wanted to go. I removed ALL of X2 and X5 from the PC including all the menus usually left behind in the 'Contents' folders and in the registry. The second attempt to install X6 went without a hitch. The free menus etc. were loaded and the programme opened easily and worked like a dream.
I get the impression that this larger X6 is slower than my previous versions but if it really is, it doesn't bother me as I am quite willing to add a few more seconds to allow the programme to start up or to render. I was a little puzzled by the optimiser as it showed the frame rate as 29.97 and a file format of NTSC HDMV, but when the video was renderd and burnt to a disc everything seemed to be fine and nicely sharp with no juddering, and, in PAL I am no expert and if the finished video works as well as it does I am well satisfied and I don't go looking for techy explanations.
There are a lot of fancy additions that I will probably never use but it is nice to know that if I ever did want a fancy title effect instead of my own custom attempts, that it was there waiting for me to use it. The effects (FX) panel is excellent with the Video Pan and Zoom, Mercali, Cropping and Picture-in-Picture taking pride of place in my useage. There is a rotate effect that would help a lot of subscribers to YouTube who post videos sideways. There is a whole lot of transitions that are available for use. I personally use the fade transition for 99.9% of all my videos but there are more than a hundred, very varied transitions, that should please everybody. I do tend to save all my finished videos as 'iso' files and ready for burning to a disc and, to this effect the programme has it's own disc burning section and makes the whole experience of producing very nice home videos, a joy.
All in all, I do prefer this version of CVS over the other CVS versions as I find the finished videos appear to be more slick and professional looking, or could it be my upgrade to a Sony 720 handycam, (lol).
Before i bought X6 i did try Vegas but having used Corel for a few years, I could not get my head around, what seemed to me as a far too complicated way to produce a home video. As with most things PC some time has to be spent getting to know X6 and to give it time to do it's work, if you rush the programme it WILL stall, or freeze, as some people say. When X6 says that it is 'not responding', it IS working in the background and if you just wait for a few seconds it finishes it's work and waits for your next instructions. At the moment it is very cheap on Amazon compared to it's launch price. I like it.
on 18 March 2013
This incarnation of the Videostudio software has a lot going for it in terms of functionality. Only one problem - it crashes randomly. To make matters worse, there is no practical way of giving Corel feedback apart from this review. (I have tried Warranty Support, Chat and telephone calls, but have failed spectacularly to actually get hold of anyone in Corel - as I write this note, I have been on hold with the Corel Salesline for 31 minutes and counting . . .)
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This product seems to have an amazing range of features for the price, particularly if you are interested in creating animations. And it is relatively easy to use (considering the range of functions). However, I too have found that it is prone to stalling (no crashing for me, but stalls requiring me to walk away from the computer for a few minutes). One user has suggested that it's unfair to blame the software when the issue may be related to other (normal) software loaded on your device, but I can't understand this logic - surely one if the challenges of software design is to anticipate the environment in which the product will be used, and ensure workability in that environment (or at least specify that the software will not work optimally if x, y or z is installed).
on 15 August 2013
I really don't know why there are negative comments on this software, I have tried quite a few video editing products....and in my opinion this is the best. I have done a LOT of filming of Pete Watermans "Leamington Spa" model railway, and uploaded them to You-Tube. This program has never let me down, and is excellent for the money, I have NO connection with Corel other than buying their software.
I would certainly recommend Video Studio ULTIMATE X6 to anyone who is serious about editing their camcorder film.
VINE VOICEon 28 July 2013
Platform: PC|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not a bad package at all although did take some time to load but then the extra disc has a lot on it...lots of features and perhaps flaws mainly covered by other reviewers and mine hasn't stalled or crashed yet,fingers crossed but I did have some difficulty finding a simple edit function like re-orienting the video upright...lots to learn on but well worth the time and effort if you want to get into arty editing.