• Ii

Customer reviews

Ii
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 October 2013
2013 has been a particularly exciting year for electronica; Boards of Canada reemerged after 8 years of silence, the Orb released their 'history', whilst Autechre, Jon Hopkins, Mount Kimbie, Bonobo, Dj Koze, Sasha, Drumcell & Apparat have all released some new and enjoyable stuff. Moderat's announcement that they were to release their follow up to their self-titled first album appeared the icing on the cake.

I ordered the deluxe vinyl edition straight away. The only downside is this edition doesn't come with a download version, so I've ended up purchasing it twice so I have it available on my iPod. But that's the only downside of the 12", and I wouldn't have done this if the album wasn't totally worth it.

Moderat's II is different from their first album in a couple of ways; the only primary vocal used across the album is that of Sasha RIng (Apparat), and in general the album feels more 'pop' in style. Don't let this put you off, we're not talking cliched, 'saturday night on the lash' style pop, but more refined, genuine songwriting. It blends being catchy with being a serious work of electronica perfectly, so its never cheesy and always fully absorbing.

The vocal tracks ('Bad Kingdom', 'Let the Light in', 'Gita', 'Damage Done', and on the cd/download deluxe edition, 'last time') are scattered throughout the album amongst superb instrumentals, the best of which include the dramatic 'Versions' and 'This TIme' - the tune Moderat have been opening their live performances of the album with.

I was fortunate to be at the Eastern Electrics festival at Knebworth Park where Moderat performed their album launch for 'II'. Alongside a superb DJ Set from DJ Koze, this performance was the highlight of the whole festival for me. It seemed to connect with the crowd in a way quite unlike anything else on show, so I'd recommend going to a live show if you get the chance too.

For me, only Bonobo's 'The North Borders' & Apparat's 'Kreig Und Frieden' can match Moderat's 'II' this year. Bad Kingdom, Versions & Gita are all right up there with the very best tracks of the year, and I hope 'II' becomes 'III' in the not too distant future, as the modeselektor-Apparat partnership is too good to be exhausted across just a couple of fine albums.

5/5
2 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 13 February 2014
This is, without a doubt, an incredible album and one of my favourites of the year. However, if you are considering buying this album, you have probably heard songs from it and are already aware how incredible it is, so I hardly need to write it. I am writing this review simply to comment on how beautifully designed the actual CD is; a great amount of time and thought has obviously been put into its design. Visually, it is stunning and it does feel very much like a 'deluxe' CD; the casing of the album looks more like a graphic novel than a CD.

Of course, this is all superficial beauty, but considering how expensive this album is, I wanted to express my complete delight in purchasing it. It is a phenomenal album in every respect.
on 18 November 2016
This album, as with anything that Moderat touches, is truly sublime. The depth of quality as enhanced by the vinyl makes you feel as if you are deeply sinking into a mesmerising rhythm of enchanted soothing beats and deep empowering bass, that weaves a completely unique trippy electronica you will find no where else but with Moderat.

Also, Milk is the prefect track for late night driving - [...]
on 15 March 2018
Love the album but beware - I ordered this on Vinyl and got sent the 1 LP, 8 track version. Very disappointing considering it's advertised as the full, 11 track album. Had to return it.
on 29 August 2017
very good thanx
on 25 November 2013
I love it.
on 3 October 2013
Buy it, I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed if you like electronica and/or Apparat/Moderat's previous output.

Oh and the track "Last Time" (which is great) is not available on streaming services like Spotify.
on 3 October 2013
just buy it! another album that is constantly getting played in my house, so many of my friends have bought this after i have played it for them
on 24 August 2013
Modeselektor and Apparat's second album collaborating as Moderat is an intense and carefully manicured slice of downtempo urban-dubstep (whatever that is - but I couldn't think of any other way of describing it). It feels like a labour of love, and split between instrumental and vocal tracks delivers in spades. A towering piece of work and a great album end-to-end - no filler.
4 people found this helpful
on 23 August 2013
A bit more middle of the road than Moderat I but as you should expect from these three producers quality craftsmanship all the way.
There are a couple of attempts at 'pop' music that are really quite good 'Bad Kingdom' being the first and forays into building techno work outs like 'Milk' and euphoric sweetness best displayed in 'Versions' (my fav track).
Since LP I the influence of dubstep and bass music seems to have changed into a more refined almost nostalgic sound with Moderat using vocal samples underneath the beat much like John Talabot did on Fin - for better or worse - and it fair to say while there's no Seamonkey or Rusty Nails there's much here to enjoy.
Tuck in.
One person found this helpful