on 16 May 2013
I love all things about ancient Rome be it a film, a book or a tv series and have enjoyed reading this book except for a couple of issues that I think might have been sorted out.
Mr Larkin writes really well; his prose is crisp, tight and not a word is wasted. His characters are real and believable and a lot of attention has been paid to small details which makes me think he has done a great deal of research about the era or is a military man himself. Just occasionally I caught a glimpse of a modern man speaking but mostly the story flows well.
However; the vision scene; what is that about and why? For a Roman military man that bit just didn't feel right although I understood the point of it eventually.
Additionally, the sex scene that wasn't. There was a perfect opportunity to insert (!) a good, not too explicit sex scene between Lucius and Marah and I felt it was unnecessarily cut short and just didn't work. I went from reading a great build up to 'having a cigarette' as it were in a paragraph. Ridiculous. Mr Larkin if you don't like doing sex scenes and they make you feel uncomfortable, let me know and just send me an email. As a romance writer, I can sort that problem out.
'Skeptical' is a word that popped up on a regular basis and I found myself on the look out for it after a while.
Finally, it was written in the first person which I don't like but that aside, it was an excellent book and I may well buy the next one in the series.
on 9 October 2013
Held me from the beginning and found it a great read. For those of you who like this period and like the action in the Roman series then you will enjoy the book. In addition there is a bit of a detective novel within the main theme but it is well done and adds a little twist to the normal roman story. In addition interesting characters appear in the book. I enjoyed the novel and I think you will too.
on 19 May 2013
I enjoyed the historical aspect of this novel, and presuming it has been well researched, I think it gives an excellent feel for the culture surrounding Israel in the first century, However, the links to actual Bible characters I felt were contrived and also inaccurate (historically as well as from a Biblical point of view)...eg Luke is known to be a physician, and Paul, though from Tarsus never met Jesus in his lifetime. I know it is a novel, but nevertheless may be the closest some people get to the history of that time, and I would have preferred it not to mix historical fact with fantasy.
on 30 August 2013
I do enjoy a good Roman soldier / hero read and this book is exactly that. Enjoyed the link with the birth of Christianity. I won't spoil the plot but the way that the author suggests that the main character , Valens, meets Jesus is very different and a change in the norm. I believe that those that like the fans of Marcus and Cato ( Simin Scarrow) would enjoy the book as whilst it doesn't have the same level of humorous banter, it is a good easy and enjoyable read. I will be downloading the next book in the series shortly. And thanks Amazon for the suggestion.
on 31 October 2014
a story of a roman that is full of mystery and intrige. like a modern mystery novel set in roman time.
if you like novels about Rome then you will love this Noel.
on 2 July 2013
The book is a good read about a Tribune in Syria and Judea. It is well written and includes the bible story very loosely near the end. Worth a read if you like books on Rome but to me not one of the best of the genre.
on 19 March 2013
What a cracking read, Simon Scarrow will need to up his game or he could lose his place as number one! I would recommend this book to all and can't wait for the follow-up.
on 6 June 2013
yes loved this book start to finish this author new to me if you are like me and like this sort of stuff go for this one
you will love it not a long book but plenty in it no problem giving 5 stars
on 7 December 2013
An exciting tale of a Tribune of Ancient Rome with gentle hints of an underlying sub plot which is interesting and makes you keen to carry on reading the series.
on 14 May 2013
I enjoyed the book but at times felt it took too long to get to the point. But it was well-written and a good read and I look forward to the sequel.