on 24 August 2016
In the saga Spear of Crom, I found a book that cost me several hours of lost sleep.
I started reading at about 9:00 am and could not put it down until 3:00 am the next morning. Just could not put it down.
Set during the Conquest of a supposedly conquered Brittania, the characters of the Legio XIV roar out in defiance at the Druid led Barbarian tribes.
The plot twists and turns unexpectedly but with credibility.
Battle is joined between Roman forces and Brittanic tribes where the lines of Good and Evil are greyed by complicated loyalties.
In the Battles, description is graphic and accurate. The confusion, the fear, the unleashed strength, the soul sapping aftermath . . . it's all there in full detail, woven into colourful narrative.
I'll be eagerly awaiting the sequel to Spear of Crom .
on 26 September 2017
A good enough yarn, but let down in my opinion, by the frequent use of modern cliches and idioms, also by the bad, or absence of proof-reading. Virtually every page had bad punctuation, words lacking or words where they shouldn't appear. Those aspects ruined what might otherwise have been a decent enough tale.
on 4 March 2014
Found this a good story with plenty of action. The writer looks at events from the natives point of view which is unusal for books from this period. Looking forward to the follow up book if there is to be one.
on 9 March 2015
This is the third book of Tim's I have read and I find his way of writing is enthralling and entertaining. With all of Tim's books there is an underlying element of truth which gives his books an interest to those who like to learn about history and also those who just enjoy a good read.
on 13 January 2014
I found that the story line had quite a lot to do with Druid influence which was different, this added to the enjoyment. Yes, I really enjoyed this book.
on 12 October 2014
The book held me tho it was a bit predictable hence the three star rating but that said I'm sure I'll read the next instalment.
on 15 December 2014
Good tale but in places predictable.
on 28 February 2013
I have no hesitation in recommending this book to lovers of historical fiction. A thoroughly good action yarn which leaves you waiting for a sequel.
on 28 May 2013
I chose this rating because it compared very favourable with all the well known historical fiction authors I read on a regular basis.
on 9 October 2013
this book was very predictable and not very well written. Of all the roman sagas that I have read this was easily the worst.