VINE VOICEon 23 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I rather like this neat little oven. It isn't particularly robust (for instance the non-stick coating on the tray is already starting to wear a bit thin after only a handful of uses), but for occasional use it's a nicely engineered and practical device.

Disadvantages:
- The short lead restricts flexibility and you really don't want to be running an extension lead around your kitchen
- There's no pre-heat function - but having said that it is so small it takes virtually no time at all to heat up
- The timer only goes up to 60 minutes, if you want longer you have to wait until the 60 minutes is up and then reset for the additional time - not much use if you want to nip to the shops while dinner is cooking!
- It lacks calibration on the temperature knob - as other reviewers have said it only shows 0, 165 and 230; if you want a temperature in between then you have to guess
- It's very small (none of my tins fit inside it).

On the positive side:
- It's very small, which means it heats up quickly, it doesn't use as much power as my larger combination oven, and fits neatly into a corner of the kitchen
- It seems to cook nicely & evenly (unlike my combination oven which has hot spots)
- I love the rotisserie feature. So far I have cooked a pork loin joint and a small chicken; both came out lovely and moist and more evenly cooked than they would be in a static roasting dish.

In summary, this is a convenient little device, which could be used when camping / touring, for single person meals, or to give extra capacity in the kitchen for large events.
on 2 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a wonderful mini oven. It is surprisingly light and easy to use.

I have a couple of issues with it:

- the cable is very short, barely a metre in length if that, so you have to have it near a socket or use an extension cable;

- the temperature control is annoyingly lacking in level readings - it jumps from 100 to 165 then to 230. I would have preferred a more detailed temperature reading - they are usually every 10 degrees. In order to solve this problem I used my oven thermometer and a permanent marker pen, but I shouldn't have needed to as temperature readings should be printed on the oven as standard.

Ovens like this are always handy for student digs, new homes, etc, and for special events like Christmas, Easter, birthdays and anniversaries, etc.

Few years ago, as Christmas approached, we made a decision to add a mini-oven with 2 rings to the kitchen to cover those events (like Christmas) when people turn up uninvited and expect to be fed with a multi-course roasted dinner with all the trimmings and enough side dishes to completely fill the dining table by themselves.

Even without the, rarely seen, uninvited special occasion human locust swarm descending for a free feeding it was a struggle to feed the invited guests with our standard oven (4 rings, one small oven and one larger fan oven) so, we added the oven/hob combo (which was also a Russell Hobbs) to our kitchen equipment and it did add some relief to the battle.

Yet it still didn't seem to be enough - with all the main course items like the turkey, a joint of beef and the roast potatoes, roast parsnips, and so on, and this doesn't include anything that may need oven cooking for dessert - it is amazing how quickly the oven space is filled up. This will be a great help.

The oven heats up very quickly which is good, but the sides also get very hot. This means that you need to ensure that you have plenty of space between the oven and the wall or any cupboards or cabinets so they don't become too hot and burst into flames.

So far we've had cottage pie, roast beef joint (with Yorkshires and roast potatoes) and skewered a chicken on the rotisserie arm. All have come out almost flawless. I've tried some scones (the first thing I cooked once we had established the temperature marks) they were devoured in minutes. The next thing I will be trying is bread and I don't expect any problems with it.

Overall this is a superb little oven and will come in very handy - I'm very happy and impressed with it.
44 Comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 January 2015
I am so disappointed with this oven. The lead is very short and be aware the top of the oven gets dangerously hot. The temperature gauge only shows three settings so you are left with having to guess the temperature. i am an experienced cook but this does not hold the temperature very well at all. I often find things get burnt on the bottom before they cook in the middle. I have tried moving the shelf around the oven with no luck. Further if you want to use the combination of grill and oven you have to leave the door half open otherwise the temperature automatically cuts off. The bottom is very difficult to clean if you get any spills and the tray that comes with it is already showing signs of wear and tear and I have really not used it very much. I have only had it a couple of months and this is something I will be returning. It really does not do what it says on the box.
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I initially looked at this because I thought it was a microwave (it's not), but I decided to order it anyway because we only have a single oven/grill in our house, and the grill has given off nasty black smoke since we moved in, so I thought it would be useful to have another for back-up.

It's about the size of a small microwave and functions as oven, grill or rotisserie. It's quite small, so you can't fit a lot in it, but I've been using it rather than the main oven when cooking just for myself - I hope this is more economical, though I don't really know; it does at least have the advantages that I don't need to bend down (because it's on, rather than under, the worktop) and it cooks with a built-in timer like a microwave, i.e. you put your food in, select oven and temperature, time to e.g. 30 minutes and it will cook for that long and then stop, with a 'bing' which can be heard from the next room.

This took a bit of getting used to at first, since I was invariably putting food in cold rather than preheating the oven. Unlike a microwave, you can open the door while it's on, so the recommended solution is probably to set the timer for 5 minutes longer than your food needs and then put the food in after those five minutes of preheating. In practice, I usually just put the food in straightaway but allow a little more time. Anyway, I've managed to cook stuff adequately and it seems to cook evenly, rather than burning on one side, so that's good.

I do have a few complaints, however, that aren't just 'teething troubles'. As others have said, the temperature dial isn't very helpful, only being labelled at 100, 165 and 230 degrees (Celsius), leaving you to guess at where 200 falls. Given that the timer is labelled at five minute intervals (up to an hour), I thought this could have been better marked. I also found the grillpan handle fiddly and to get in the way of the door, which the instructions said should be in a half-open position while grilling. There's also the fact that you can't cook for more than an hour without resetting the timer, though this hasn't been an issue for me - the oven's too small for a big roast dinner or casserole anyway, so it's only been used for things like burgers and chips.

Overall, I'm pretty happy so far, but I should say I've not been using it long so I'm not sure how robust it will prove. We bought a worktop protector for it to stand on (Typhoon Squares Glass Work Surface Protector is just large enough), which may be an unnecessary precaution, but it did highlight that the four feet at wonky - none of them sit flat on the surface and, in fact, one (back right as you look at it) isn't even on the surface at all! We've not had any problem with it being unsteady, but this contributes to a slightly 'cheap' feel and doesn't instil me with confidence that the oven is built to withstand long-term, regular use. Needless to say, if it goes wrong in the near future I'll be updating my review accordingly.
on 21 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I do not use this in my house, but have found it to be very useful in my touring caravan as it allows me to use the site electric to cook rather than using the bottled gas which I have to pay for directly. It is a neat size similar to a microwave. It does the job of an oven very well.
on 21 November 2013
Good points:

Small
Good for odd items of cooking, chips etc (not full roast dinners!)
Heats up quickly

Bad points:

Short cable
Badly designed temperature control (0, 165 and 230 are the labels!)
Sides get hot
Timer only goes up to 60 mins (although you probably won't be cooking anything over this time anyway)

To summarise, the good points outweigh the bad. It is convenient and easy to use. It is good for those occasions where you want to cook a couple of different things that require different temperatures, or even when you have a lot of people coming around. I would recommend, especially too for student flats and the like.
on 17 October 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am absolutely delighted with this fantastic little oven. It fits vey neatly onto the countertop in the kitchen,and does everything that my large oven does far more economically.
I have very successfully baked cakes, roasted joints, and cooked the occasional pizza in the oven, and the results have been as good as,if not better than my main oven.
This would be brilliant for students in halls, in a caravan, or as a second oven for times like Christmas,when you need extra cooking facilities. If you're cooking for one or two people,this lovely oven makes far better economic sense than firing up the larger main oven.
Highly recommended
on 3 April 2015
I unwrapped it, plugged in and it blew up
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 January 2014
lovely compact, easy to use. Well made. cooks just like a conventional oven. Love the rotisserie, the meat is very tasty. cleans easily. being a table top, easily accessible.
on 26 July 2014
Nicely compact for just the two of us but, remarkably, will take a whole medium sized chicken on the spit!! Easy to use and clean. Full marks.