on 26 January 2014
The PS3 is quite good. Though it is too noisy. Enough to be distracting during quiet moments in a film and even in a frantic game the disc accessing noises are annoying. Lots to download to make it work properly.

I like the TV apps, 4OD, ITV Player etc all work very well. The You Tube app is pretty good too. These are much like having a computer plugged into your TV, though not quite as good. That's consoles really. Much like computers, but not quite as good. But curiosity got the better of me and now when the nephews come to stay I have a bunch of Sports games bought for peanuts from CEX.

Oh, Grand Theft Auto V... It's much like Grand Theft Auto IV. And playing any game with shooter elements with a pad rather than a mouse and keyboard I will always find frustrating. So I'd wait for the PC version if you have a powerful PC to make up for the lack of optimisation that is likely...

I do wonder though why anyone would buy an Xbox One or PS4 when the older consoles are already so capable as games machines and multi-media devices.
on 10 May 2014
What can i say , 500GB enough space for anyone , use it blu rays and games got a few games that are not on other consoles as i have a PC for my main games and a xbox 360 so i like to get games that no one else can have unless they have a PS3 of course.

So yeh overall no noise, very small size , HDMI connection , optical cable and with this with my surround sound , it is just the best music/ movie /gaming experience you can have.... Also you get a blu ray player that are better then most so just get it , its very low price now because of the PS4 that i think if you are a PC gamer , its not worth it but thats just me ps3 is where it is at.
on 3 December 2013
The new unit doesn't boast the shiny good looks of the old 40 Gig play station which stood me in good staid for a long time now. It does take up a lot less room though. This was a replacement for my old faithful which gave up the ghost last week. The thing most noticeable is the disc drive access noises when playing GTA V it is constant and quite loud, whether or not it is just this game or all games I don't know yet as I am on GTA V all the time at the moment and haven't been on any others yet . I wasn't keen on the disc drive sliding lid either but my Grand kids say it is super cool, so you make your own mind up
on 26 March 2014
Loving every second on it. Playing gtav is so nice and its just amazing and super easy to get started. I played a lot of minecraft and its the only game i every bought in my life and the graphics are not great because its blocks but once i play a full hd amazing game with outstounding graphics and amazing online experience i really was blown away.

sometimes it does freeze but thats very rarely. maybe once or twice a week or so but all you do is turn it off and on. The controller is great too but i have to charge while the ps3 is on and not on stand by. It charges really quickly, in like 1 hour or so and it last a whole 2 days or so. i play it a lot can say its top.

I got it at £200 and I've seen the price go up and up and down and down but its still worth the money.
on 26 July 2014
Excellent machine and a very good deal. Given we didn't want the game that came with the console (but it was still cheaper to buy with the game than without??), we sold that and between two people it only cost about £100 each!
For anyone reading this I'd also like to recommend a PS+ subscription. Is £40/yr and there are games released for free each month. Some of them are no good but frequently they're excellent (e.g. Bioshock Infinite, Jax and Daxter trilogy). I've downloaded at least 6 in the past few months, which would easily have cost >£40.
on 29 December 2013
I have been wanting to get the slimmer PS3 for a long time and getting basically a free copy of GTAV is simply amazing.

For a great price, it's an amazing investment as there are a few good games for PS3 coming up (and yes, I am poor enough not to get the PS4 for another 5ish years, so... there's that).

Although the packaging of the whole bundle was a bit damaged and it felt like it was opened at some point, it didn't bother me that much.

It's my late Xmas present and I couldn't be happier. Off to play some GTAV and Assassin's Creed IV.
EMO's out.
on 21 May 2014
Well, it's not a PC (and I'm a PC gamer honestly), but it does allow me to play GTA V, so it gets some points there.

My only complaint is that the newer, slim model doesn't allow me to cook food on its casing. I'm a bit disappointed as honestly I expected better after seeing the videos on YouTube. It also makes a terrible waffle iron.

With that said, it does play GTA V reasonably well so again, more points there.

I just hope there's a PC version soon - the low framerate and lack of detail is killing me.
on 25 February 2014
A bit clunky, does quite a lot more whirring than usual, and quite annoying that with this model they've taken away the actual disc slot and made the 'sliding door' on the top instead. But it is more eco-friendly than the previous consoles, and super slim, which is good, and especially when taking into account the weight of the PS3's first release!!!
on 20 December 2013
Amazing gaming system, endless amounts of hard-drive space, great power, light, small, easy to operate and of course, the ability to play PS3 games in HD, watch blu-ray films and all the other goodness that Sony can offer.

GTA 5? Best game ever made.

I thoroughly recommend.
on 23 November 2013
Value for money
HD 5.1 dolby and dts sound through HDMI (amp needed)
Excellent graphics up to 1080p (if the game supports it)
Huge number of premium older or used games really cheap
Blue ray and media player.
Motion sensor and vibrator on controller
500gb hdd

Doesn't support NTFS external drives, only FAT32
Internet browser not very user friendly.
PSN not available to all countries in EU.
No way to add homebrew programs
New premium games are expensive.