on 20 February 2013
topping each previous release is already a regular occurrence for nick cave, but this time even my high expectations were blown out the water. this album is as close to perfect as any i have ever heard, a master craftsman at the top of his game backed by a unit whose playing almost defies humanity. the greatest achievement of nick cave, as a songwriter, is his ability to produce music that is completely original, but still 'doffs the cap' to certain influences. i can imagine, for instance, leonard cohen singing 'wide lovely eyes' and 'water's edge'. quality just drips out of every element of this record, and at the moment can't see how he will top it next release (but he probably will). certain self-regardimg 'songwriters' (u no who u r), should be herded together to listen to this, and to do the decent thing - quit. quite simply, masterful.
on 21 April 2017
This is good being streamed on Tidal but on vinyl - it just blows your mind. Such a pure album with every song achieving the feat of making you stop what you were doing and just listening...whilst watching the hairs on the back of your hands stand on end. This is by far my favourite Nick Cave album and one you just can't get bored with.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 March 2014
Nick Cave has produced quite possibly the best album of his career.

This is a work of art; a creation of beauty - an exceptional collection of songs written in Cave's typically poetic style, with the most divine and understated accompaniments. it is as if he has produced this album as an antidote to the full-on Grinderman project.

Wonderful.

*****/5
on 15 April 2017
A real return to form. Some great songs. The simmering rage of the bad seeds underpinning some beautiful emotional moments. Up there with boatmans call, no more shall we part, and murder ballads. Exellent album.
on 13 May 2017
Brilliant. Stunning album.
on 21 March 2017
A good clear sound with as ever good lyrical content for Cave fans (like me) to enjoy!
on 8 June 2017
Good album from a dark place
on 6 January 2015
great stuff :)
on 18 February 2013
This has been a much-anticipated album for many people, myself included. The Grinderman project Nick Cave has been working on has been far louder than the recent Bad Seeds albums, and there were rumours that this album would be a good deal quieter than previous Bad Seeds offerings. The release of the first track - We No Who U R - seemed to indicate that was indeed the case. But would it still be a Nick Cave album as we know and love them?

This is a highly introspective album, and seems to come from a different place than the last Bad Seeds outing "Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!!" from 2008. It certainly is a good deal quieter in that there are no clearly identifiable rock tracks, but it is definitely a Nick Cave album. The melancholy comes through in every track, and Nick's voice is as mournful as ever. I hate to draw comparisons with other artists, but it does remind me in tone of the classic Scott Walker albums - the same poetry, the same swooping arrangements, the same truly heart-felt emotion which comes over through the speakers. Comparisons aside however, this seems to me an album in which Nick has the same passion for what he does, but does it in a much calmer way.

It will put some fans off, I know, and it will certainly divide the music press. It's not what we've heard from Nick in a while - perhaps elements of The Boatman's Call - and some people will think this is a bad thing, but it is for me one of the most lovely things I have heard for some time. Standout tracks are Higgs Boson Blues, Water's Edge, and Jubilee Street (especially Jubilee Street - truly a wonderful song), and the whole thing is just a brilliant collection - play it through headphones without distractions, and just listen intently to what is passing into your ears. It's almost 2am, I've played it twice, and I can't wait to play it again.

I don't know whether Nick Cave is in a different emotional place than he was five years ago. If this album is anything to go by, I feel confident that no matter where he goes or what he does next he is still on top form, and producing music that I will listen to again and again.
on 23 February 2013
I know there are a lot of lifelong Nick Cave fans giving mixed reviews on here and in that respect I must be impartial. I have 'dabbled' with his music since 'Let Love In' came out and have been blown away by many of his tunes but never a full LP. So I write this review as a fan of music in general. I like all types of music regardless of genre...if the music is good then don't put a label on it, great music is great music. Which brings me to 'Push The Sky Away'...I heard Nick Cave had a new album out and thought I'd give it a go. To be honest I have just been waiting for the new Bowie album and was passing the time giving it a listen. I tried 'Jubilee Street' first which blew me away so streamed the LP. I kept returning to 'Jubilee Street' because it haunted me. After listening to the album in full I placed my order for the vinyl and since then it has been on heavy rotation. Not only (mark my words) will this be the album of 2013 at the end of year polls but it is simply one of the best albums I have ever heard by Nick Cave or anybody. Remember, I have never been a huge Nick Cave fan, but now in 2013 I am returning to his back catalogue on the strength of this album alone. A STONE COLD CLASSIC!!!!!