Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 4 March 2015
This special edition of the season 7 story, is well worth the upgrade in my opinion. Everyone who knows the story will testify that season 7 is one of the best DW years, all four stories in the season are great, but Inferno just has the edge over the others for me. The picture quality is light years better than the 2006 DVD release. I haven't viewed the extras yet, but all the original extras have been ported across. Well worth the money, which is a paltry £6.50 on Amazon. I recommend anyone who hasn't bought this SE version, buy it you won't regret it.
on 26 June 2017
interesting idea of parallel worlds - love Nicholas Courtney Lethbridge Stewart character.
on 21 June 2017
Specially liked the colour effects. Poses an interesting question- how safe is fracking? Enjoyed episodes on parallel world with bad versions of the main characters.
on 21 April 2017
very good
on 4 June 2017
Absolutely fantasic Doctor Who story!

However, the DVD came in a black case which for me was strange as the other DVDs come in the special silver grey case, other than that it works fantastically.
on 2 June 2017
Happy with the dvd
on 17 April 2017
It's mine
on 1 November 2007
This was one of the first classic Doctor Who episodes I watched, and after viewing more than 40 others, this is still my favourite.

The Doctor is being provided with the means to experiment with his TARDIS console in exchange for him working as a scientific advisor at a drilling project. But when he goes into a parallel universe using his TARDIS, he discovers the horrors that will take place if the drilling on our world isn't stopped...

This episode is fantastic. It was the last episode to be recorded without incidental music, but the ever present sound of the drill reminds us constantly of the danger the Earth is in.

If I had to point out one bad point of this story, it would be that LIz does an awful lot of running between the drill and the Doctor's hut, even in the parallel universe. However, the acting is superb, and although the sound effects of the monsters aren't very convincing, it still deserves five stars.

My final point is that the cliffhanger to episode six is the best I have ever seen in Doctor Who.
VINE VOICEon 18 May 2015
Inferno is a brilliant story, well presented with just enough twists and turns to keep excitement levels high and to make this a fun ride. This was a serial of which I was unaware as a young teen in the mid to late `70s. At the time the only way you could experience the thrill of Jon Pertwee's Doctor stories, apart from very sporadic omnibus showings that you just happened to hear about, was via Target's brilliant novelisations. (I loved these so much that at the end of 1978 phoned in to Capital Radio to tell them that buying them was the best thing that I could remember about the year!) To my knowledge Target didn't issue Inferno as a novel, so my first experience of this early story is this DVD and I've had a great time with it. There are some genuinely exciting and, dare I say it from behind my sofa, scary moments and the actors all seem to be having a whale of a time, with some great monster transformations- especially by John Levene- and the HAVOC team serve up some wonderfully over the top stunts. It's a shame that Caroline John didn't have longer in the role of Liz Shaw, she really comes into her own in this story.
Wonderful fun; one of the best Dr Who stories ever.
on 27 March 2010
Sadly we live in an age these days where everything is done on the quick, what I term 'The Twitter Generation'. A story like 'Inferno' just wouldn't get made today and even suggesting making a story of seven (yes, seven!) 25 minute episodes would give most TV executives a heart attack! And that's a shame, because in my ever changing top 10 of 'Doctor Who' stories 'Inferno' is always high up and is often at the very top.

As with the wonderful 'The Mind Robber', necessity is the mother of invention, and so when this story had to be elongated the idea of the parallel universe came into its own, and is one of the things that makes 'Inferno' a top-quality story. The idea is simple, but effective and we get to see a dystopian alternate world which is a little further along with the same experiment in 'our' world. The Brigadier in this world is a domineering but ultimately cowardly 'Brigade Leader' (sans moustache!) and is a highlight, but you get the sense from these episodes that all the actors enjoyed playing different personae (I expect Pertwee was a little jealous at missing out, if truth be told!).

Despite what younger people may think, a longer story can work and be invigorating, and the proof of this particular pudding is in watching the joy that is 'Inferno'. If you haven't seen it I envy you, as you're in for a real treat!