Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 March 2017
By the high standards of 'Deth, this is not legendary status, but I think its got some unfair reviews. It is still very enjoyable and with some great hooks and solid production. Mustaine often strays from the thrash path, with mixed results in the past, however on this occasion its mostly to good effect and it still rocks!
on 9 July 2017
Some really good songs an here with the superb Kingmaker standing out. Dave's voice isn't what it once was but fans will find a lot to like on this album. Don't take notice of the critics listen for yourself!
on 5 February 2016
It`s Good
on 6 July 2013
Megadeth's 14th studio release, following four excellent albums since their 2004 'comeback'. However, in this reviewers opinion, it is probably their worst. It certainly ranks alongside Risk, which although better than people remember, is not a Megadeth album. This is similar, the moments of thrash are few and far between and it would fit in well in the era of Risk and Cryptic Writings. Megadeth albums usually start with an interesting thrashy intro but this has none - it's just straight into Kingmaker, probably the best song on the album. The album loses it after this because the following songs (Super Collider and Burn) are average at best and most importantly slow. So, songs two and three are poor but redemption is on the way in the form of Built For War, the second best song on the album. Built for War is typical Megadeth, fast, thrashy, a war theme with great musicianship. Unfortunately, Built for War is merely a blip as the album descends into more mid-paced rock music in the form of Off The Edge, Dance in the Dark and Beginning of Sorrow. The Blackest Crow has an interesting and unusual feel but the following song Forget to Remember is another slowish, rather boring, forgettable (lol) number. Don't Turn Your Back has some good verses but a poor chorus which leads us to an excellent version of Cold Sweat by Thin Lizzy. That's three good songs and eight average ones. When I first listened to it I thought the songs sounded like they were the ones that never made it onto 13 - it has that feel. The version I have has three extra tracks which are OK but nothing special and includes a fairly pointless live version of Countdown to Extinction. Ask yourself this, will Megadeth, if they're still touring in 10 years, play anything from this album? The answer is probably no.
on 1 June 2017
‘Super Collider’ sounds more of a continuation of ‘Th1rt3en’ which was a huge disappointment for me. The production sounds weak, and there’s plenty of inconsistency with Dave’s vocals. As usual, there’s some great guitar work but most of the songs themselves sound pretty average. Some songs sound like they are going for a slightly more commercial approach, and I did find myself warming to this album quicker than ‘Th1rt3en’. Disturbed’s David Draiman makes a guest appearance in “Dance In The Rain” but his vocals seem a bit low in the mix and get drowned out. He only has a minor part in the song too, so I don’t know why he bothered. It’s rare for Megadeth to do covers, but they have decided to cover “Cold Sweat” by Thin Lizzy which is pretty fun. Overall, I’d say the album is about on par with ‘Th1rt3en’.
on 6 August 2013
After hearing Th1rt3en and not being impressed with it other than "Public Enemy No.1" and "Who's Life (Is It Anyways?)", and even those songs had something about them that wasn't to be taken to seriously, I didn't know what to expect when I heard that they were working on another album that was slated to come out in June.

Even during the earliest stages of recording they had a release date for June and they actually released it in June, now that's some old school work ethic.
I regress. So while the album was being recorded we got these cleverly cryptic audio/video snapshots of the album, where you could only hear a mish mash of sounds with only a faint sense of the riffs and music to come. This added to the mystique of album and Megadeth have always had a little bit of mystique to their music, ever since their debut album in 1985 their style was so innovative and technically proficient that while listening to the music's mind blowing melody, speed and intrictate rhythms, you couldn't help but to feel the music also.

But still there wasn't much to gleam song wise from the clips, but they were exciting nonetheless. So interviews about the album might provide more information about the direction of the album. And the interviews defintely hinted at a more direct approach to the song writing. Dave Mustaine said in interviews that he was focusing more on melody this time around and David Ellefson compared some the heavier moments on the new album to "Killing Is My Business...And Business Is Good!". Hmmm, that defintely is a interesting and new direction and it sounds like a pretty difficult thing to accomplish actually. But this album really does just that and it's done in a not quite evident way and it's very clevery crafted.

The thing that stands most true about this album is the overall consistency, top to bottom, every single song stands on it's own as a quality piece of metal/hard rock songwriting and performance. There are 10 original penned tunes and a cover of a classic Thin Lizzy song in the main track listing and as a bonus there are 2 more original tunes and a outstanding live version of the title track from their 1992 masterpiece "Countdown To Extinction".

In summary this is the most perfect album Megadeth could have made in 2013. Megadeth are not young pups anymore, and I'm not saying they are getting too old, it's quite the opposite actually. Megadeth are a group of seasoned veterans that know how to get the job done and they are playing to their strengths while focusing on many of the essential elements of Megadeth's style. So how exactly are they accomplishing that? Well they are smoothing out their sound a bit, but this has been done without sacrificing any of the attitude or heaviness. By tuning their guitars 1 whole step down to a D-Tuning they add a depth to their sound that is unprecedented and by slowing down the tempo the melodies have more room to move around in. And also lyrically this album delivers, with some lyrics that are very timely. (Check out Dave Mustaine discussing all songs and lyrics on Spotify's album commentary version of Super Collider).

In closing this album neither tries to replicate Megadeth's thrashier albums nor does it emulate their radio friendly albums. It's just what it is. It's a collection of strong songs with more than a few excellent musical efforts and some truly exhilarating moments, it's Super Collider!
on 21 November 2013
Yet again, I'm provoked into writing because I'm shaking my head with astonishment at some of the reviews I'm seeing here. 'It's not exactly metal'? And, god forbid, there's a 'single' on it? Obviously many of these correspondents were not even alive back in the day. 'Peace Sells..?' What was that - chopped liver?
If you love your Thrash catchy, groovy, tuneful ( gasp! ), this will rock your world. Listen to the opener. Try NOT nodding your head in supreme obeisance at the swaggering confidence in those sinuous, killer riffs. The guitar tone is GLORIOUS. Clear as a bell, without losing any power.
Maybe Mustaine isn't bothered about writing those tortuous, labyrinthine guitar lines anymore? Maybe he'd rather write 'songs'? He still throws in those effortless curveballs that stop things becoming predictable, but he does it without feeling the need to grandstand. Why should he? He has nothing left to prove. If Metallica actually made an album this good - with a similar production - we would all be bowing to the gods of metal that they found their mojo again. But they never will. This is Metal at it's most thrilling and crowd-pleasing. Fantastic.
on 21 March 2016
This is a lot better than I expected. I held off buying it for a couple of years, only giving in when Dystopia kicked my backside so hard I wanted more Megadeth and, since this was the only CD of theirs I didn't have....
The negativity around this is probably justified, but not totally. Yes, there's too much of the mid-paced hard rock fans didn't want, and Drover's drumming is so unadventurous it could be a drum machine but there's some great music on here.
When I heard about them using a banjo I thought, "Enough is enough, I won't be buying that." But that track actually works well!
Ditto, the David Draiman thing. I can't stand nu-metal and had no interest in hearing him on a Megadeth album but...I don't even know which track he appears on, I've never noticed his vocals. Clearly he doesn't do the "oh-wah-ah-ah-ah" thing he's famous for. Thank God.
Even "Burn" with it's ridiculous lyrics is a solid tune and the "Cold Sweat" cover is really good.
"Kingmaker" is probably the stand out, with some great thrashing and brilliant soloing from both Broderick and Mustaine, while "Built For War" is also solid.
Overall, I can be more forgiving with this because Dystopia is such a great return to (mostly) the thrash we all wanted, with excellent drumming and lead guitar work.
So give this a try!
on 4 June 2013
There's been a colossal amount of feedback from fans and the media alike regarding this album. I have to admit I didn't know what to expect and upon my first listen I let the trashy reviews get to me and I was pretty disappointed... however a fair few considered listens later the fog cleared and I have to say I really like it. First up, if you're a thrash nut who listens to stuff like slayer, early tallica, kreator, testament etc then no, this isn't the album for you, check out Endgame. But, as we've witnessed from CTE to now, Megadeth can do a lot more than thrash and this is one of their finest examples.

After Endgame came out I thought wow, they've smashed it, what are they gonna do next? Th1rt3en was good, but I have to admit I didn't think it was up to par in the same way, but then it was their last record for Roadrunner so I think it was probably done to finish the contract (hence the mish-mash of old demos/half-released songs from various eras and two songs written for video games).

Super Collider is cut from an altogether different cloth. It's got genuinely some of the most interesting and new songwriting the band have put out in a while, I'm not going to claim they're the new grand innovators in metal or that no one else has done anything like this but I really like the sound and for Megadeth, this is pretty novel (check The Blackest Crow). There are plenty of really cool guitar licks, riffs and melodies that you wouldn't expect to hear from a deth record, though the core elements are still there. A key example would be Dance in the Rain. A fantastic track mixing old and new perfectly. And featuring some of Dave's best vocals in a while, plus a surprisingly good cameo from David Draiman (Disturbed/Device).

Anyway it's hard to explain exactly why I like this album so much, but all I would say is, you're not all going to dig it fair enough, but, give it a fair go and try and ignore the biased reviews. Trust me, there are some super cool riffs and actually, with the D tuning, megs actually haven't sounded this heavy in a while, but it's Sabbath heavy, slower but crushing and really really cool (and you can definitely hear the Sabbath influences). A great example is the beginning of sorrow. Slower, but crushing with a super cool riff and some great singing.

One final thing, the artwork is stunning. The cover's really cool (and is the best 3D cover I've ever seen, perfect idea) but wow, the booklet art is the best artwork Megadeth have had in the modern era and it is definitely up there with the classics. Cyborg/robot vic looks so damn badass, John Lorenzi has done a stellar job. I would get it just for that, I can't wait for my vinyl to arrive to see it in large!

In conclusion, thrash nuts won't find much to love (Evile's new album Skull will do you there), but for those who fancy giving this a go, it rewards those who give it a fair chance... and there's the artwork!

Update: In response to a review above, David's bass is very clear on this album, you can definitely hear it well and he has some really cool parts.
22 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 February 2014
Based on the initial buzz, I thought this would be another just-OK effort like Thirteen.

Couldn't have been more wrong.

The writing, musicianship, social commentary and imagination displayed here are first-rate with Dance In The Rain being a track that can very easily slot into a Top 10 list of all-time great Megadeth tracks.

If you were thinking of giving this a miss, you are seriously missing out.

It's not Rust In Peace 2 but far, far above creative misfires and disappointments like Risk..