on 8 March 2014
I wasn't desperately needing a new camera, but didn't have a compact and was given some Amazon vouchers, so I thought I'd treat myself.

Pros: great optical zoom, plenty of good automatic and manual settings, takes good HD videos.
Cons: pictures can still be a bit dull and soft, even in daylight, never have managed to get the WiFi working properly for transferring pictures wirelessly.

It's a fantastic camera to chuck in your bag or pocket whenever you go out, as it's small, light and far superior to any phone camera. But it's not going to replace your bridge or DSLR anytime soon.
on 7 September 2013
I've bought this to use on our up coming trip to Orlando, Florida. I wanted something compact but is more than capable of downing most of what my DSLR does. Well it does and with ease. Compact, light and easy to use.
on 12 March 2017
ok
on 19 May 2017
Excellent
on 27 January 2014
Bought for my 21 year old daughter for xmas 2013. Has a huge amount of features and absolutely superb image quality.
Can't find any fault with it.
--------------------------------------------------------------
DMC-TZ40 Owners:
○ The latest firmware update (ver1.3)is available from panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/TZ40_TZ41_ZS30/index.html
○ For firmware updates check this site periodically just in case, as it will be the first site to show it: panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/
--------------------------------------------------------------

Having owned the compact TZ series cameras since the TZ8, I have generally noticed incremental improvements on previous models, yet not necessarily in the image quality department. In fact, in some cases there was a degradation in this regard, which was made up for by the inclusion of features like gps etc.

I find that the TZ40 is still an evolutionary upgrade over the TZ30, with the inclusion of Wi-Fi, NFC and the lovely 920K 3 inch display. The bump in pixels from 14 to 18 megapixels seems to be more of a marketing tactic, yet nowadays many are aware of the drawbacks of cramming pixels into such a tiny 1/2.3" sensor. This usually results in more noisy pictures, yet I have to point out that Panasonic somehow managed to get away with it, and the pictures from the TZ40 are outstanding.

Pros:
○ Great image quality
○ Bright 3inch 920,000 pixel screen, great for sunny days
○ Wi-Fi: Connection History and Favorites list make it easy to find previous settings.
○ NFC: Near Field Communication works a treat when the Panasonic app is running on Android device
○ 20X zoom in a compact body offering better image stabilisation
○ Better GPS implementation. The camera remembers where it was last switched off. Further improved by firmware updates Ver 1.1 and Ver 1.2
○ The sensor seems to perform better in low light when compared to TZ30
○ Manual controls
○ High dynamic range (HDR). This option is great to see shadow detail
○ Very good video footage
○ iOS app works a treat for controlling certain camera features

Cons:
- Wi-Fi : long winded procedure to set up (Yet once set the connection history makes it easy to track previous settings)
- Still no RAW capture
- ON/OFF switch is now a button (I personally prefer the TZ30's power switch)

Given the functionality vs the price of the TZ40, its really hard not to highly recommend it!
It is a perfect all rounder, and ideally suited for the traveller wanting lovely photos and a large zoom in a lightweight, compact body.
on 8 November 2013
Ordered Saturday, arrived Monday so great service from Amazon.

My TZ40 is to upgrade from my excellent TZ8 that has done 4 years of sterling service. I was attracted by the TZ40's increased zoom and newer anti-shake with image de-blurr.

The camera can take one snap on its ludicrous small internal memory. It comes without any SD card and no battery charger. It will need at least an 8 Gig card I have bought a 32 Gig) The camera is charged via an adapter and very short USB cable that you have to plug into the body port on the camera. This may well in time cause wear and the USB cable is too short to fit to most house wall sockets and have the camera in a safe place for charging. This penny pinching is very frustrating. All my other 3 Panasonic cameras came with longer USB cables and proper battery chargers.

The red camera looks the business and starts up quickly in about two seconds. The extended lens sticks out more than on the TZ8 and it takes a noticeably longer time to retract when the camera switches off and this needs to be remembered or I will be stuffing it into my pocket while it is still moving.

The menus have been improved and all the photography menus I find well designed and intuitive. As for the WIFI and GPS menus - more later but intuitive? Well no!!

The colour balance on intelligent auto mode is much better than the TZ8 with warmer colours and many shots requiring no lighting adjustments in Photoshop Elements.

The large zoom is very smooth and even at 20x plus another 20 with izoom set it is possible to get an in focus hand held shot with minimal blurring. Lens anti shake stabalisation is much better than on the TZ8. The colour noise on the TZ40 is noticeably less than on the TZ8 but does show up even in bright light (especially on backlit shots) when the zoom is at maximum.

The intelligent auto mode takes several shots when it detects back-lit scenes and seems to decide on this approach quiet often and the single composite result is probably better than I could achieve on my own. However, the processing time for this is noticeable and prevents a quick next shot.

The touch screen may well be the bees knees for some but I find it hard to use as it detracts from compositioning brainpower. Not the screen's fault but mine. I find I do have to remember to switch the touch screen shutter off or I take photos of my feet, the sky and everything in between at random while carrying the camera in hand.

The panorama setting is great and will save me hours in Elements. It has a habit of cutting off (not recording) the last bit as I pan. so I have had to get used to its scope which is about three usual 16:9 frames.

The macro close up mode is the best I have had on any camera. The level gauge, which I use all the time is essential for me and again it will be goodby to leveling sloping shops in my photo editor.

The video quality in both HD and MP4 is excellent and playback on my HDTV via memory stick is superb.

So as a Camera I could not be more pleased.

However the WIFI is just a joke, connections having to be set up for every eventuality separately and most being very hit and miss. In fact its so much bother each time with no expectation of a successful result that I have all but given up on it. The NFC function did eventually work. This is where you touch the camera against a NFC device such as the Nexus 7 to transfer pictures. However both have to be on and the tablet has to be running Panasonic's Image App which you have to download. If its not running but just downloaded you are directed to the web to download it again. Once set up and working remote control of the basic photo processes like shutter and zoom of the camera is possible.

WIFI transfer of files is time consuming to set up and usually in my experience fails so this is a function I will not be using.

The GPS function is also very non intuitive and the maps supplied which have to be loaded onto the camera take up 4 Gig of card space just for Europe and N America so I had to buy a large capacity card if I am to record any decent length video.

I expect I will usually have the GPS and WIFI switched off in use.

TZ40 bad points

No supplied SD card
Tiny internal memory
No separate battery charger
Extremely short USB cable
WIFI mostly too complicated and file transfers fail
GPS cumbersome for the dubious benefit of being reminded where you took a photo

TZ40 Good Points

Intelligent Auto point and shoot mode superb
Great Zooming
Good colour balance
Leveling tool a godsend!

Not yet tested

3D snaps
Program, Aperture priority, Shutter priority and manual modes but I expect these to be fine.
11 Comment| 128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This, the TZ40, is the latest iteration of Panasonic's top of the range travel zoom camera. I am writing this review having owned the Panasonic Lumix TZ20, TZ30 and now the TZ40. I've also used the Canon 260HS a fair bit which is comparable. Where relevant I'll try and highlight the changes from the TZ30 which is still available. This camera is positioned in a very tough sector of the market and competitors from other brands include the new Canon SX280HS, Samsung WB850F and Sony DSC-WX300 plus there are also offerings from Nikon, Olympus and Fuji. However, I think this Panasonic TZ40 offers an unbeatable combination of image quality, usability, features and build amongst compact cameras.

As I see it these are the pros and cons of the Panasonic Lumix TZ40:

Pros

- Picture quality - the results speak for themselves. I use point and shoot (IA mode) 90% of the time and the images are extremely realistic and sharp (and that's not just my view). Of course, a larger format camera like a DSLR will do better but the results have to be seen in the context of the size and cost of this camera.
- The TZ40 has a new 18.1MP sensor with improved processing designed to deliver better low light pictures. In my opinion there is an improvement in picture detail over the TZ30 overall, and, in low light the picture does not noticeably deteriorate until you reach over ISO 800 (and, in small size, the quality is reasonable until you reach ISO 1600).
- Start-up is very fast indeed and battery life is good (although, see my comment about GPS/WiFi below).
- The 3" touch display is excellent and the resolution has increased from 460K to 920K pixels - you can control so much using it. For example, I love the fact that you can now select a focus point by simply tapping on the touch screen.
- The autofocus is very quick and the focus lock is excellent.
- The GPS is improved in terms of fix time and detail as now it also makes use of the GLONASS Satellite System. The TZ40 also sports a digital compass and electronic level guide which helps ensure you get the horizon straight.
- The image stabilisation has always been good on this series of camera (a necessity with a 20x zoom), but it is noticeably improved on the TZ40.
- There are a huge range of scene modes and effects etc. plus you can now use the digital filters in panorama mode.
- HD video quality is excellent (as well as the stereo sound) and support has increased considerably for the AVCHD format in editing software etc. (You can also record in MP4 format).
- Near Field Communication (NFC) for the transfer of pictures works very effectively.
- There's a new approach to avoiding being stuck in playback mode when you want to take a shot - you press the playback button to view your pictures, but, as soon as you press the shutter halfway, the camera reverts to shooting mode.

Cons

- Transfer of pictures via WiFi could be more straightforward - it works okay but you have to use a "Lumix Lifestyle Account" rather than your own email account.
- There's no RAW mode, which, given the quality of images the camera can capture is a pity.
- Like all cameras with GPS and Wifi, when switched on, the functions do reduce the battery life.
- Nothing else I'm aware of.

Other observations

- The price of this new camera is about £50 less than the TZ30 was last year at launch.
- The dimensions of the TZ40 are slightly different to the TZ30 and TZ35 - the TZ40 being a shade wider but a whisker slimmer. By any measure it is a truly pocketable camera weighing in at less than 200g including the battery/SD card. Plus, you really can shoot a steady picture with just one hand thanks to the good ergonomics.

In summary, the Panasonic TZ40 takes excellent pictures, the 20x zoom makes it ideal for travellers, it sports a huge range of automatic and manual setting options as well as many other features including GPS, WiFi and NFC. Taking account of the size and cost of this camera, in my opinion, it doesn't come much better than this! Recommended.
5150+ comments| 811 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2014
Thia camera has so many features I couldn't possibly review it and do it justice in such a short space. Its capabilities are aweseome, from the automatic intelligent programme to the WIFI and GPS features that mean you might never need to worry about forgetting where a particular shot was taken. It has aperture priority mode as well as shutter speed priority mode and a host of other settings that means the potential for creative photography is fully available. The only downside I have found so far is that the supplied user manual, both in minimal phisical form and full (300 pages or so) PDF form on the supplied DVD, was written by a true expert who is unaware or unable to think how an "ordinary" user thinks. For example, I have not been able to transfer images from camera to pc using the WIFI feature even though I think I have normal, reasonble, computer skills. I am confident that, in time, I will be able to make full use of the WIFI features and in the meantime I transfer images using the supplied usb connect cable which doubles as the battery charging (in-camera) cable. Overall, for me, it's the best camera I've ever had and the more I use it, the more I understnd and appreciate it. Thank you Panasonic.
on 11 November 2013
I was happy with the TZ8, but some dust behind the lens was causing problems at wider apertures, also the zoom was a bit erratic. This replacement performs well and also fits the TZ8 case (ASIN: B00320UNBG) with spare battery and card at the bottom and covered with a thin layer of packing foam. It was a bit of a bother connecting to WiFi to download picture files to an iPad, though it does work with perseverance. It seems to keep disconnecting. Quicker to use a card reader on the iPad. The 20X telephoto is great and the selection of preset scenes is good - especially shooting through glass. Haven't tried the GPS facility yet or shooting videos.
I like the straight sides on the body which allow pressing against vertical surfaces or resting on horizontal walls to take longer exposures or steady it for telephoto shots when you haven't a tripod.