Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now

on 1 August 2013
I bought this camera to replace my Canon Powershot A720i. I set £150 as my upper limit and spent a few hours looking at reviews. There are lots of cameras out there and it's not easy choosing. I've got a Panasonic camcorder so Panasonic was high on my list of potential brands.

The Canon was a bit too chunky to comfortably carry around in my pocket but the SZ9 is so small this isn't a problem. I keep it in a case while it is in my rucksack but once it's out I just pop into a pocket for easy access.

Some of the alternatives have higher pixel counts and big optical zooms but in the end I chose this model because it was lighter and you can control it using a smartphone/tablet app. Sorry but I'm a geek and it seemed like a feature I needed to have!

The camera does a good job in auto mode and unlike my old canon can automatically select macro mode.

I use the camera for family activity photos and product photos for my websites.

I'm pleased with the photos but sometimes I think they are little too soft. This is very subjective and it's hard for me to compare but the focus isn't quite as sharp as I would expect. This seems to be more apparent on the larger zoom settings.

Why 4 stars? It's a great compact and worth the money I just wish the images were a little crisper.
on 12 November 2013
Nice camera, easy interface (though one could wish for more setting in fast access mode) but generally good. Bought as replacement for broken Panasonic FS10.

10x zoom does good job. But the image quality seems a bit lower than in old model with less details recorded (my personal opinion, since the old camera is broken, I cannot take sample images in the same conditions right now). But still better that phone camera.

One of the main features for me was wifi access to images and remote control from smartphone. Honestly, wifi transfer in camera description sounds amazing. Reality is quite disappointing, however :-( Wifi connection is a great thing, yes, but if your phone/tablet is already connected to the wifi network, it won't connect to the camera. Wifi Direct feature requires 10 taps on the phone and button clicks on the camera until the connection is established (again, only works if phone is not connected to wifi network already). Though this is probably the problem of the wifi technology, not particular camera. Also, the whole connection takes at least 30 seconds and it's not one-click process, keep it in mind. Transfer speed for images isn't great it takes about 15 sec to download one full resolution image to the phone. Honestly, cable or card reader is much better option, I would use wifi transfer only if PC is not available. Another problem with this, wifi will drain the camera battery in 30 min or so, it's not worth trouble.

Remote control works very well, easy to operate and set the parameters for each shot. Most of the settings are available to change through the smartphone which gives you a real freedom.

Conclusion: not bad camera with image quality just above average, good for everyday use but not for professional shots. WIFI mode is definitely useful.
on 2 June 2013
Really nice camera! Big screen, very good hd movie.
Very pleased with it, easy to use and prompt delivery. I will suggest
on 23 July 2013
Very neat camera, easy to use and very slim. Almost too slim have to be careful with hand shake, but if you use the intelligent auto it does warn you. I would have prefered a manual rather than a downloadable one.
on 14 September 2013
I've been a long term Canon Ixus fan, because they fit in my top pocket, but I held off upgrading because I assumed my iPhone would take over all my photos. Well, good as it is, it's quite as easy to use as a dedicated camera, with zoom and other buttons in all the right places. So I went looking for the best compact camera. I initially settled on the Lumix TZ40, which is absolutely fantastic, but it's quite a bit bigger and heavier than my old Ixus 60, and I found I just wasn't carrying it. So I bought it's little brother, the SZ9, which has most of it's key features, but is about the size of the Ixus, and a LOT lighter.

And its just the job. Apart from the size, I love the wide angle, and the 10x zoom, and the wifi to control it from my iPhone (although the wifi seems to time out very quickly, unlike the TZ40 - perhaps it's got a fault?).
on 31 December 2013
This camera has replaced a 10 year old Lumix and it has not disappointed. I like the large screen and the ease of making short films and the reproduction when downloaded to the computer is excellent. One small complaint: when I loaded the Photo CD, it would only download in French and there was no opportunity to change the language to English, so I am having to use Windows to edit and store my photos.
on 12 January 2014
The first one lasted 3 months before it failed by turning all pictures into deck-chair stripes. My wife loved the camera and a replacement in time for Christmas was essential. Unfortunately Amazon did not have any so I had to return it and purchase a replacement elsewhere. Excellent return to Amazon when I managed to find customer support phone number but I didn't get it from the Amazon web site.
on 9 June 2014
The rating and customer comments helped choose this and the picture quality and ease of use live up to expectations for a camera in this price range. It would have got 5 stars if I had managed to get the Wifi function working and although it seems to be accepted onto either the network or my laptop direct, fails to validate the connections. As there are no suggestions about what might be going wrong, that is a bit disappointing.
on 1 October 2013
This compact camera is excellent and very comfortably slips in your pocket. it has most of the settings I have been looking for and price is also very reasonable.
on 11 September 2013
This is a wonderful camera, so easy to use and wonderful photos and videos. Unfortunately it was stolen on holiday so I have ordered another one.. I would say that is a very good recommendation on it's own.