on 20 November 2013
I have reviewed the first half of this book ("Book I") and I am sorry but I feel the same about this one. I can see I am in the minority, but maybe that is because the people who didn't like book one didn't bother to read book two, but as I had already bought it, I carried on to read it.
I found it tedious and boring to read Peter's endless repetitive nightmares, his erections and sexual fantasies, his foul swearing and his fears that he was turning into the dead monster whose kidneys he'd received. I skim-read parts of it.
There was also the repetition of the DNA, the drugs and the search for the soul that we had in book one - just too much padding.
Peter was unbelievable going to dig up bodies and thus spoiling crime scenes - even if the killer was dead.
The character of the vigilante OAP was more interesting.
This book was just not for me.
I had d/loaded Crown of Thorns before I read these books, and before I realized that that too is a two-part book. Not sure if I will bother reading it now. I know it is a marketing ploy, but I really think a book should "stand alone" - even if the ongoing life of the characters is continued in future books. I will be careful in future not to get any books which say "part 1".
on 6 November 2013
Enjoyed book 1. Looked forward to Book 2, but had too much detail for me, found I was skipping quite a few paragraphs. Either could have been a lot shorter or just put one longer book, no need for two.
on 16 September 2013
One of the best books I have read in a while
The first book finishes up in the air which after such brilliant story telling could be disappointing but as book two continues at the same fast pace and intrigue this is soon forgiven. Such an unusual murder mystery novel and very riveting I had to give these books the full 5 stars they deserve. Once again well done Ian C.P. Irvine. I look forward to reading another story by this author.
on 29 November 2013
I read loads of reviews before I downloaded both books together and I genuinely thought hundreds of people couldn't be generously over rating the books - how wrong I was! Far too long, completely far fetched and a terribly cheesy ending. It didn't even persuade me to look up 'organ transplant personality change' on the internet as the author suggested it may. It just made me glad that I'd only spent a pound.
on 20 July 2013
Fantastic read could not put this book down gripped my imagination fom begining to end. A very worthwhile read it really does make you think of the possibility of this sort of thing happening.
on 15 March 2016
Another gripping read from Ian Irvine. Although I read the series slightly out of sequence, nothing was spoiled. I already knew that the man who Peter received his kidneys from was a killer, and why Peter's personality changed, but I found myself dying (no pun intended) for Peter to finally realise what was happening to him and why! It was also good to learn at the end what had actually happened to the kidney donor. I hope there are more books involving Peter Nicholson who I have become very fond of!
on 31 January 2015
Interesting concept, as long as you realised that this was Part Two, not Book Two. Anyone who inadvertently read either "Book" in isolation would be disappointed. The mind of the bad guy was loathsome, and some will be offended by his thoughts.
on 31 May 2014
I thought the first book wasn't great but this one is dreadful. The story line is preposterous (the scene by the waterfall is just ridiculous and unbelievable). how the characters behave is unrealistic.

The premise has potential but attention to detail and research are lacking. Don't waste your time
on 28 August 2016
Now think that I may be a bit thick. For me, the two books simply did not run together.. Where was the conclusion to book one? What about the GM question? The Others? The captive kidnapped girl? The cold haunted house? Genuinely, did I miss a episode or simply just miss the point?
I'm going to have a lie down now....
on 31 January 2015
This was an absolute "must have" straight after reading Maciek's Story (Book One). This book continues with Peter's investigations into the vivid dreams and visions he has been having since receiving a double kidney transplant in Maciek's Story and takes a look at the ethics and dilemmas faced by medical consultants and pharmaceutical executives when marketing a new medication. At the same time the reader is kept informed of the developments on the run-down council estate where the problems appear to have been taken in hand by "Craigmillar residents for law and order" and the author raises a number of moral issues. The desire to know what happens next is kept alive throughout both books as the author cleverly interweaves the threads and provides the reader with food for thought.