Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 16 March 2014
Bonfire Night is an exceptional crime thriller. I was sucked in the moment I started it, liking Jeff immensely. This plot is so extraordinary because it has many layers of human interaction, taking us into the difficult world of a simple man, Paul Mason, and how his estranged brother Jeff tries to build a relationship with his only living relative after their father dies. This was so convincing, and so realistic, that it read as if it was happening. The filth, the surroundings, the body odour, it was all so palpable that the entire situation felt tangible.

On every level I was emotionally involved in this novel, I desperately wanted the killer to be apprehended and nailed, and you feel vindicated at the end of the novel only to have the supreme crime author play devil's advocate on my mind once again. From the get go you have the evidence presented, you know 'who did it', but you're along with Jeff while he follows clue after clue, finding his family has deep dark secrets, his brother has autism, and his job as a detective is in peril because he has a massive conflict of interest in the current case of the Bonfire murders.

In true crime writing grittiness there is death, there are twists, there are other characters involved who are hiding secrets, their pasts coming back for retribution, and there is a constant air of 'any second now something horrific is going to happen'. This is a really intricate plot that is so well thought out and communicated that I was wishing this was a movie because man it's so up my alley! I love books like this that consistently hold my interest, keep me up way past my bedtime (after 3 a.m., thank you Ricki!), and where at every juncture you are holding your breath, you're reading as fast as you can, flicking through the pages, desperate for resolution and answers.

I can't recommend this novel highly enough, it really is exceptional! It was gripping, compelling, dramatic, twisted, complicated, and all the shades in between. It held my unwavering attention to the last page, saddened by the casualties, and still wanting to know the rest of the story. The characters are ones you want to know about long after the case is closed. You want Dom to get a really good kick in the pants, you want Alan to get the high profile job, you want Kyle to end up in a car accident, you want to know about Jacob and Sue, as a reader I became so invested in this story that I really could have happily kept reading the sequel (lol, I don't know if there is one, but I doubt it would have this level of crime in it if it does).

That is the mark of a novel so well written that the characters are all ones I have an emotional reaction to. I really liked Frank, but I know that all novels must end and the glimmer of hope at the end must suffice. It was horrendous and stressful and brilliant! If you need a stay up all night stressfest then this is the novel for you! I'm reading another Ricki Thomas novel after this, because one book wasn't enough. I need another fix. This is novel crystal meth, be warned, it's addictive reading!
on 22 January 2016
When I started reading this book I had no idea what suspenseful treats awaited me.I was literally thrown for so many loops that I was dizzy from this tale.Jeff Mason a police detective reunited with his estranged brother and father after being separated from them for most of his life had no clue that his life will soon be forever changed.Ricki Thomas is Brilliant,she managed to make me experience so many emotions reading this book.I was excited by the mystery,scared for the characters in danger,I cried for many of the characters and was shocked speechless with the turn of events at the end.This was a fabulous thriller that had me on the edge of my seat applauding the author.
on 11 June 2013
I really loved this book with all its twists and turns in the plot. In fact I couldn't put it down...and was sad when it finished (always the sign of a good story). Can't wait for her next book!!
Cheryl Warren
VINE VOICEon 17 March 2013
Normally I am not a fiction reader, preferring non-fiction but I have read Ricki Thomas' books before and decided to try this one. My only complaint is the time taken up by it as I simply couldn't put it down. I carried it everywhere with me and dipped into it whenever I got a few minutes. It is excellent and especially if anyone enjoys a good murder mystery then you can;t do better than to read this and her other books.
on 24 January 2014
I've read lots of these and enjoyed every one. Initially I thought they were a bit wordy, and got too involved with thoughts/feelings aside from the main story which made them rather clumsy to read, but I've grown to appreciate that now and I really enjoyed the twists and turns in this one. Good characters, good plot, good writer. Thanks!
on 11 August 2013
This author is coming out with more and more great books. This one was a total gem and one that couldn't be put down. There were several twists and whilst at one point I thought that I had sussed out the end and the killer I was proven wrong a couple of chapters later. A great book to add to the series.
on 25 September 2013
This story really gripped me. I loved the way the story unfolded from so many points of view. We saw things through the eyes of each character in turn. Sometimes we knew more than they did. Sometimes they had one up on us. We had to wait for all to be revealed and then the final twist.
on 12 April 2013
Darkly atmospheric, with characters that sent spines to every shiver. I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys a good murder mystery novel but is looking for something completely different. Ricki Thomas never disappoints and this one is her best ever.
on 21 February 2016
I enjoyed the book but unfortunately there were quite a lot of words in the Kindle edition joined together (ie missing a space between them). I'm pretty sure that it would have been picked up during proof reading so I think it must have been when it was transferred onto Kindle. A good story though - worth a read. I've also just downloaded Holiday of the Dead - book of short stories, one of which has been written by Ricki Thomas, so I'm looking forward to reading that too.