Top critical review
40 people found this helpful
Great quality, horribly slow cleaning and startup cycles
on 20 May 2015
Mixed feelings on this one:
+ Great print quality, reasonable speed
+ Looks great, well designed
+ Relatively small footprint even when printing
+ Easy to load paper in the two trays
+ Front cover flips open automatically when you start printing
+ Hassle free installation and wifi recognition
- Ridiculously long startup times
- Nozzle is cleaned way too often for no apparent reason, using up inordinate amounts of ink. Actually, this meant my colour cartridges were completely emptied without even printing one colour page, and the blacks after having printed only 5-6 pages. This is because the cartridges that came with it are not the extra capacity ones, and run out really quickly.
- No sleep mode as far as I can tell
- Much less build quality than earlier versions. I had the MX895 and it was much better built, it oozed quality and didn't have such long print cycles.
- Cannot use older cartridges from MX895, model which is replaces. The Canon ones are so ridiculously expensive I got OEM ones which are ok and last longer as they are high capacity.
For all of the negatives above, and after researching online, I've opted to leave the printer on all the time to avoid some of the cleaning long start up cycles, and save some ink, although I'm sure it's not very energy efficient.
Having said all that, if you don't mind long, noisy and extremely frequent cleaning and whirring doing god knows what, but want good looks and great quality printing this is for you. Otherwise avoid.
Also, consider the fact many Canon users have had the same issue I had: the printhead dies for no apparent reason all of a sudden after one or two years, and it's impossible to fix. A replacement is hard to find and costs around £65, and there is no guarantee it will work. So basically you have to throw it away and get a new one. This happened to me with the previous model, and I fear it will happen again with this one.