on 15 June 2014
Just to let any potential Kindle purchasers know that this has not been properly formatted for the Kindle. Lines break in unnatural places, which spoils the flow of the prose, and there are occasional large gaps between consecutive words for no apparent reason.
This does make it quite hard to read. I think I'll stick with my old paperback translation by Gia-Fu Feng and Jane English.
on 9 October 2013
A truly beautifully written book with some of the finest words to quote I have ever read. I am so thankful to the people who translated it because they have kept the translation true to the Chinese version of the original and not westernised it as is the case with many books. Thank you to Kindle for stocking this, I am so happy to have it in my collection.
on 12 July 2015
I found this version of The Tao Te Chingi quite difficult to get to grips with. Rather tediously translated I am sorry to have to say.
on 12 June 2016
Not at all memorable
on 12 May 2016
good book
on 25 March 2015
Quality book. Lovely illustrations. Love it.
on 5 March 2015
Crowley embraces the cryptic qualities of the Tao thus allowing the ideas to creep into the readers subconscious uncensored. The rest is silence.
on 14 June 2015
Good !
on 27 November 2009
This is a very nice interpretation of the Tao Te Ching and well presented and illustrated.I am very glad that I bought it and enjoyed the ideas that it contains. It is a very beautiful publication but what prevented me from giving it a five star rating is that it actually falls apart. It is quite simply badly made. When so much trouble has been gone to to make a book that is quite lovely in every other respect, to have economised on such an essential feature as durability seems quite absurd.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 July 2011
Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu, trans. Ralph Alan Dale, Watkins (London), 2002, 312 ff.

A translation of the Tao Te Ching
By Howard Jones

Of the seven versions I have on my bookshelves of the Tao Te Ching this is my favourite, both for the wonderful black-and-white illustrations by John Cleare and, most importantly of course, for the quality of the translation by Ralph Alan Dale. For those who can read Chinese, the original texts are also given for each of the 81 verses.

As I have said in my other reviews of this text, which version appeals to you as reader will differ from one to another. One reviewer criticizes the translation of the Tao as 'the Great Integrity'. Well, one might just as well criticize the translation of Tao as 'the Way'. The Tao is truly indescribable and indefinable, like God or Infinite Spirit. It is the spirit of the translation that is most significant.

The message of the main eastern mystical philosophies is essentially the same: to accept what life has to offer; to look always for the best in any person and life situation, even those that present difficulties, challenges and unhappiness in the short term; to take time out from our pressured life-styles for quiet reflection and meditation; to be always aware that there is an overriding spirituality that interacts with us in every moment of our being, a spirituality that we enhance or undermine by our thoughts and actions. This is the overall message of the Tao.

A certain degree of interpretation is inevitable in any translation, but for readers seeking a more expansive text than just a straightforward translation of the Tao and one that you might find relates more directly to everyday life in the west, there are commendable interpretations by Byron Katie and by Wayne Dyer available. Personally, I prefer the straight translation that I can meditate on and interpret in a way most relevant to my own life.

Dr Howard A. Jones is the author of The Thoughtful Guide to God (2006) and The Tao of Holism (2008), both published by O Books of Winchester, U.K.; and The World as Spirit published by Fairhill Publishing, Whitland, West Wales, 2011.

A Thousand Names For Joy: How To Live In Harmony With The Way Things Are