Customer reviews

on 2 April 2012
The positive reviews on amazon influenced my decision to purchase this book. I regret buying this book. The authors did a good job promoting it on Amazon, i.e. 31 five star reviews is rare and unusual (that was the rating at the time of purchase).

The book is far from being perfect, high level and it offers very little original content. There are also some misleading statements, such as:
"The important thing to remember is that using social media is absolutely FREE and can take very little of your time if done intelligently." OR "The great thing about online marketing is that much of it is free".

When was the last time you managed to run a free online marketing campaign?

This comment in relation to the bounce rate metric is also wrong. "Generally speaking, the lower this is, the better - anything between 30% and 60% is acceptable". Anyone who has been involved in any conversion optimisation knows that bounce rate is only useful if it's reviewed in a certain context. 70% bounce rate could sometimes mean success too.

Overall, I do not recommend this book you can find more informative and free content online.
2121 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 27 May 2011
The "fusion" of fusion marketing is not just the combination of new, online, inbound marketing techniques with more longstanding marketing techniques like print advertising and face to face networking. It is much more than that - it's about how online and offline marketing techniques can work together to support each other and to achieve a synergistic effect. So, for example, a blog raises the search engine rankings of your website by creating fresh content, your tweets and LinkedIn posts promote your blog to interested readers, your Facebook page collects feedback and drives more business to your website, your YouTube videos create interest in their own right and make your website more interesting, and active face to face networking draws more people into your digital space in the first place...

In a nutshell, David Taylor and David Miles point out there are at least 13 marketing techniques to drive business to your website, and you can use at least four of them at no cost. Those who get them working together most effectively not only save money but win a great deal more business!

Complete internet newbies will get a feel for what the online aspects of fusion marketing are about, but as a manual it does assume reasonable familiarity with web techniques - the authors do not talk you through every small step needed, e.g., to set up your Twitter account, your LinkedIn page or a Google Adword campaign, but they give the reasonably "net savvy" reader many useful pointers. Each chapter concludes with a series of action points that act as a summary and a checklist.

Advice on offline techniques includes being clear about your VUKM (Vision, Key Messages, Unique Selling Propositions and Mission), putting yourself in your customers' shoes and possibly using mystery shopping, being rigorous about testing and measuring offline as well as online marketing activity so that you know what is really working and can cut out ineffective activity, and getting out and making new contacts through face to face networking. The strong emphasis on face to face marketing - a whole chapter is devoted to it - reflects the fact that, while there is a great deal in this book for the large business, especially one of those large businesses that has not really woken up to Web 2.0, the authors are writing primarily for the small business.

Do I have any quibbles? The book has a number of illustrations, and a lot of web links, but more illustrations would have been nice. The use of bit.ly and other abbreviate web addresses, so beloved of the Twitterati (because they help you keep within the 140 character limit), will be tricky to type in and will become meaningless if the links get broken (while you might just be able to find another page on the same site where you have a full web address). This might indeed point to the fact that an electronic version of the book will be easier to use than the printed version, and of course the authors may be happy if you get that message.

These are minor issues, however, and there was much that I liked and found new - I found the advice on pay per click advertising and website KPIs was particularly valuable. It's great to read a book written by British authors, referring (in the main) to British websites, too - most of the books that I've read about internet marketing to date have been American.

I should add, in full compliance with Amazon's rules on the subject, that David Taylor, whom I've met networking, kindly sent me copy of this book for review. I'm looking forward to getting a printed version in due course - even if it does make checking out the links a bit more difficult!
on 3 July 2011
This book really fills a gap; namely, a plain English primer in social media marketing for small businesses and sole traders. It may seem obvious, but most free info on the subject either assumes too much technical knowledge on the part of the reader, or is aimed at larger businesses which have the resources to employ dedicated social media marketing people (or buy in services), or is downright patronising.
In my view, for the small entrepreneur/sole trader the array of potential marketing can be really confusing. Like AA Milne's shipwrecked sailor, it's only too easy to go round in circles wondering where to start. The point is, no one can do it all, so they have to choose two or maybe three techniques and focus on doing them well (it's not worth doing any of them if you only do them by halves). Taylor and Miles' book is just perfect for people like this, because it gives them a methodology - a ladder, if you like - to experiment with social media, in a way that enables them to measure input against results without becoming discouraged or overwhelmed.
For the social media beginner, I think it's important to realise that you won't put the time (and time is the main issue for the small entrepreneur) unless you find you actually like doing it. The great thing about social media marketing is that you can do it in short bursts, between all the other things you have to do in a working week. If you like it, you can do it; and this book makes the whole thing a lot more likeable.
I've ordered 10 copies, which I'll be giving away to my own clients as homework (I'm a marcomms designer and consultant). It's the perfect 'leave behind' - and for a tenner a pop, a terrific investment.
on 16 June 2011
I work for a small family run business and getting our heads around online marketing has been tricky to say the least. Being the youngest I get to deal with all the social networking and boosting our website up the Google rankings, not an easy task when you've not a clue where to start! There is the option of paying a clever online marketing company to take care of all that 'techy' stuff but let's face it, in a recession who can afford to pay a specialist.

So I got my hands on a copy of Fusion: the New Way of Marketing and so far it's making perfect sense. I love the lay out, I can skip to a section very easily with the bold headers to guide the way. It's inspiring actually and it has enthused me to make more of an effort with our social networking and blogs. This book serves as a reminder that you have to work for your position as an online retailer.

The best thing about it is that it offers a range of ideas that are free. Yes, free online marketing tools. No company has any excuse to sit around moping about the recession when you can get a copy of this book and make a difference without spending another penny.

If you can't get your head around online marketing this book is great.
If you have got your head around online marketing take a look at it from another angle.
on 8 March 2012
This is a very helpful book. In a refreshingly easy to read manner, it covers the Social Media journey describing what it is and how it relates to marketing activity for Small to Medium size businesses. And it achieves this in a practical and easily understandable way, so that the reader can quickly grasp the most important points.

I really liked the straightforward approach. No attempt is made by the authors to hide behind `Jargon' or `Science' - they tell it how it is. This means that the reader can instantly assess, how the many ideas the authors cover, could be applied to their business or organisation. Each chapter has action points, to also help you achieve this.

About the only thing I didn't like was the lack of an index in the back, which for reference and planning would be really helpful when referring back to specific Social Media activities and topics.

To sum up, if you want an academic book covering the theory and science of Social Media, then this isn't really for you. But, should you wish a book that over the space of a couple of hours reading that can give you an excellent grounding in this topic and provide lots of practical and creative ideas that you can apply to what you do, then buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 29 June 2011
This book is a MUST for those setting up an online business & for those that have an existing site that is not reaching its target market. I only wish I had read the book prior to setting up my online shop as it would have saved me not only a lot of money as I would have ensured I had a site that had the tools to help MY business succeed but also a lot of stress wondering which direction to go in.

The format of the book is wonderful: easy to read & understand, enabling you to evaluate your business & its USP's & then develop a clear marketing strategy. Marketing campaigns have always filled me with dread, spending lots of money sometimes with very little return. The book shows you that there are lots of strategies that can be used to grow your business many that have little or no cost. I am of an age where social media sites were not really considered however after the clear explanations how these sites work I now have the tools to move my business forward using a mixture of strategies (new & traditional) to get me & my shop operating effectively.

For £10 this book provides you with the key to making your business succeed, its like having your own personal marketing consultant - there really is no need to say more!
on 11 July 2011
I was lucky enough to attend a social media training day (which I also recommend) run by one of the authors, David Taylor. It was at this course that I picked up my copy of Fusion - the new way of marketing. Based on the quality of the course I knew the book would be a great and also serve as a reminder of things spoken about that day.

I've actually read the book twice now and still refer back to it on an almost daily basis. I love the fact that it's so easy to read, the language is simple and easy to understand whilst remaining informative and interesting. I found the suggested action plan at the end of each chapter extremely useful also.

I've already recommended the book to several friends and colleagues, and those who have read it have come back to me with much more enthusiasm for the subject having gained more of an understanding of online marketing in the modern world and the impact that not only doing it, but also not doing it can have on a business. Not only that, they also realised it's really not as scary as they first thought!

As the quote of the front cover depicts this book really is "A no-nonsense road map to marketing in the 21st century".
on 11 July 2011
As a person who prefers to read in the comfort of his own home Fusion was an exception and quickly devoured in full view during my commute. Miles and Taylor have authored a book that manages to provide a succinct, workable and most importantly realistic plan for marketing in the new social media age. Think of it as satnav for your business which currently relies on a tattered, incomplete A-Z. Personally I had just been using Facebook for recreational contacts and LinkedIn for professional; I felt my bases were adequately covered. Not true anymore as I found out! I have now opened a twitter account to reach new customers and am seriously looking at what I expect from my company website and how I can drive traffic towards it.

Every chapter in Fusion provides clear no waffle advice with a checklist for success utilising each new media option. The overriding message is that the old rules no longer apply. If you simply keep doing what you have always done you will go backwards. Rapidly.
on 3 April 2012
I purchased this book on recommendation from a friend who knew I was setting up a new business and a new website whilst looking to learn about Social Media. I see a 1 Star comment from someone who obviously has a lot of knowledge, but if you are a novice/amateur and are looking to learn more about all aspects of online marketing with good real life and hypothetical examples then this is the book for you. I found it easy to read, well structured and interesting without too much technical jargon. A must read!
on 1 July 2013
After attending a seminar that David Miles ran, I bought this book. It is a really down-to-earth way to approaching digital marketing.

Obviously, this sector is changing constantly but this book covers how to use PPC, SEO, social media to your business' advantage, and gives diverse case studies.

I have dipped in and out of this book for regular inspiration and would recommend it to others who are getting into (or already in) digital marketing.