SONOS PLAYBAR Wireless Home Cinema Soundbar-Black
Style: PLAYBAR|Configuration: without Accessories|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 December 2017
I have Sonos set up around my home. I have things I love about it and things I think Sonos could do to improve. The sound is very high quality, but the 'smartness' and 'connectedness' is lacking for a wifi speaker at this price. The app interface could be clearer and easier to use.

I do love the Playbar. It certainly does enhance the sound of a flatscreen TV. It creates rich sounds. But I don't think it is worth £600 alone. The sounds are good but they're not incredible.

Where this really shines is when you pair it with two Play:1 speakers to make surround sound. The playbar really becomes awesome then as it sends the sounds off in all the right directions and, with the surrounds, has great depth. If you have the surrounds, I don't think you need the sub, as together they create a lot of bass. The real benefits of using Sonos for your surround sound is that it's wireless so you don't need to run cables everywhere, and you can also use it to play music from the Sonos app, coordinating it with your wider system if you have one.

You should also be aware that it can only receive Dolby Digital 5.1 signals: not DTS. Sonos also recommends that youplug the optical cable directly to your TV, instead of to other peripheral devices such as consoles, Blu-Ray players etc. The problem with this is that you need a TV which can pass Dolby Digital 5.1 signals from HDMI to optical cable. There are a lot of TVs, particularly Samsung TVs, that don't do this. To address this, I needed to buy an optical audio switcher so I could have my console and blu-ray player and TV connected to the Sonos - using a switch to change the audio input.

To summarise: it's a good speaker when on it's own, but there are cheaper standalone soundbars out there that do the same job. It is however spectacular when it's paired with satellites for surround sound, and when you have other Sonos speakers around the house with which it can coordinate. Check your TV can pass DD5.1 from HDMI to optical, or buy an optical switch.
25 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 27 October 2017
What can I say about this Sonos soundbar that hasn't already been said, well firstly they are more expensive then quite a few on the market and the reason is simple, these are the best and the best doesn't come cheap, I have always had good quality sound equipment, and this has surpassed my expectations, the wireless set up it so simple, I highly recommend
5 people found this helpful
on 14 November 2017
Expensive, but great piece of kit. Very easy to setup and integrate with existing bits of Sonos you might have at home. The sound quality is excellent. The connection from your TV must support optical or you might have problems.
on 23 January 2017
Owning a PA hire company I was slightly sceptical about Sonos vs a separates system as I owned a THX/Onkyo system at a previous address but we moved house and didn't have the luxury of being able to run cables. I thus looked into this and so glad I did. Granted it's not going to beat a proper high end system but the combination of the multi room connectivity and being able to use wifi straight to the system so it doesn't matter if you go out of range etc will get any smart home geek happy.

The set up takes next to no time and is straight forward. Ideally you want an iPad but it's not essential for when you are running the tuning part of the app. Even without a separate sub (which I subsequently purchased - no pun intended) the system really does give it some welly and will give any sound bar a run for it's money.

My one gripe with the app (and this in no way reflects on the system itself) is that you can't play media from Dropbox. Given Dropbox is one of the biggest cloud storage services available this seems absolutely ludicrous. This is a pain when you want to be able to stream a baby sensory song to your child to help them sleep or perhaps unreleased material from an artists both of which are the case with myself.

As mentioned this is an app issue and not a hardware reflection and I would still recommend the product if you have the budget and have to work within the constraints of not having cables.
on 3 December 2017
After winning a Play 3 I was so impressed by the sound quality that when I decided to invest in a soundbar there was only one choice. Expensive I know but you won't be disappointed!
review image
on 21 December 2016
5* product as you'd expect from sonos. Great sound, depth and definition. Makes a fine addition to our sonos speakers. Great as now when we watch the music channels we have amazing sonos quality sound.

Only thing, it was bigger than I expected but hey that's not always a bad thing ;-)
on 26 September 2016
A real problem with dust on the fabric of the soundbar. Makes it look bad. Sounds good though.
on 26 January 2017
Expensive but well worth the money. I confess I didn't realise how large it was going to be but it sits in front of the TV and works very well. Easy to set up like all Sonos products. I already a Sonos Play 5 and I wish I had bought the Playbar instead of the Play 5 because it does the same job.
on 9 February 2018
Wonderfully expensive but so worth it. Great performance
on 23 November 2016
This soundbar is brilliant and used alongside the sub and 2 play 1's its simply unreal, if anything its too good i now feel like i need to purchase a detached house so i can really crank it up.