on 26 August 2017
OK
A FANTASTIC READ HEART IN MOUTH SOME OF THE TIME. ONE ALSO LEARNS HOW MUCH THIS IS COSTING ENGLAND TO FIGHT THIS SECRETE WAR
on 26 May 2009
An exellent well researched and written book, for anyone with an interest in S.O.E. in France, and with a knowledge of the Departements of the Vienne and Deau Serves in Western central France.
on 19 July 2014
I would give this 10 stars if I could. Full of fact and how they can be referenced this book not only tells everything but conveys the stress and fear of those involved. I am astonished and humbled at their bravery and ever more greatfull to these secret warriors for the freedom I take for granted today.
I
on 30 May 2017
This is a fascinating story of great bravery by many people and well worth reading. I felt that it did go into too much detail for me hence the four stars; I think it is for the WW 2 history buffs.
on 9 August 2014
What a brave man amongst many others who risked their lives for us, he also went
on to make his Country a better place for his own people after the war.
on 12 July 2014
A well-written, detailed and gripping account of a remarkable man and the events he took part in. The best book I have read on this subject. First class.
on 13 August 2014
Really enjoyed this one a very interesting story of S.O.E . Forces during 2nd world war. It brought the story to life mentioning places I know well both in France and in England. Including an airfield local to me that I didn't know a lot about. .
on 29 September 2014
Very informative and interesting biography of someone I did not know about beforehand. Made it all too clear what each and every agent had to endure to free the people of France and the people of other invaded countries.
on 1 December 2015
Previous reviewers have validly complained about the complexity of the personnel. In a reprint easy to follow organisation charts with names and photographs would help. However I peresevered and found the book to be an excellent account of both Maingard himself and many of the brave men and women who selflessly faced a vicious and cornered opponent.
An appendix listing those tried for war crimes and their sentences would help understand who escaped justice and why!
Overall a tough worthwhile read