on 18 October 2017
Really like this band and this album also has the wonderful guitar tones that I associate with Foals.
on 23 April 2017
Great cd
on 29 May 2017
All good.
on 17 March 2013
After two brilliant albums, stellar career prospects and a sound that rejected a lot of the chugging dadrock of the past 15 yrs, this latest album is a disapointment, by the high standards i judge this Oxford five piece by.

Holy Fire has all the elements of a great album, when NOT compared to the brilliant "Total Life Forever" from 2010. The sound on "Holy Fire" is a little smoother, a little easier, the guitarwork has become somewhat simpler, its like Foals are seeking an audience which cant take too much math-rock.

Compared to 90% of music in the charts, its still brilliant, it charted in the top 5 and will sell well but i just feel that they could have continued improving, instead they have somewhat shifted sideways and are in a holding pattern over the charts.

"My Number" is their least adventerous single so far, "Inhaler" is better but still fades a little, without enough variety.

I hope the sales vs talent trap doesnt catch Foals...the record label maybe gets twitchy cos this isnt a bland Coldplay disaster and drops them???
on 2 January 2017
Excellent item excellent service
on 5 June 2014
Great British band.. Great musicians, compositions and they get better each album.. Great live act also.. Thanks a big bunch..
on 18 February 2013
I adored Antidotes and loved Total Life Forever, but the only times TLF didn't strike a chord with me was when the tracks were on the wrong side of ordinary. Call them what you like, but Foals were never ordinary. But the rare uninspired moment on TLF was far outweighed by the shimmering and heart-stopping ones around them.

Sadly, Holy Fire sees Foals lose their mojo as far as I'm concerned. Yet, it is not without merit.

It starts well enough with Prelude and Inhaler, but the biggest red flag imaginable then raises itself in the shape of the horrifically bad My Number. A lightweight pop/funk ditty with no emotion, soul, punch or thrust. It's candy floss for the ears and by far the worst song they've ever written. Bad Habit is not much better, being an instantly forgettable MOR pop-indie-rock-by-numbers filler.

Everytime is marginally better and has a decent hook, but it all still sounds rather uninspired. Thankfully, Late Night provides some redemption. A slow-burn, slow-build track full of tension and soul, this is what I paid my money for. Next track Out of the Woods is sadly a damp squib of a track. The band don't sound like they're particularly interested by this point, which begs the question: why should we be?

Milk & Black Spiders is thankfully much more interesting and engaging, and the clattering Providence piques the interest albeit in rather directionless fashion. Stepson is a real beauty of a tune but then the album closer Moon brings a downbeat and dour ending to proceedings.

Overall, Foals always engaged me because they sounded like nobody else and their music was so damn powerful. For me, on Holy Fire, they've lost that power to inspire me and now sound like a middling indie band trying to sound like Foals. Either they're trying too hard or not hard enough, I can't quite decide.

I wanted to love this album. It has the odd great moment, but nowhere near enough. Parts of it may yet grow on me, yet after quite a few listens I can see this as a record that doesn't get many airings in the future, I'm very sad to say.
1111 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 October 2013
A fabulous album. Foals are a great young band. There are so many reviews here that tell you how good the music is, and they're all true.

Foals strength is that their music is far more indie-pop in style than most of the new bands who try to produce perfect pop, so as much as I like the albums by bands like Bastille and The 1975, I think Foals are rawer, less like Coldplay and more likely to stand the test of time.

One key point if you're about to press the BUY button, take a look at the Deluxe version which is out now (28/10/13), and for a couple of pounds more you get a DVD too.
on 4 November 2013
This is the review for the live CD and DVD, not the stand alone album.

Immediately disappointed that CD is not the 'Live' tracks featured on the DVD. A previous effort I recall having this format was Coldplay's Mylo Xyloto album which included the live version of songs.

Don't get me wrong, I adore Foals and have seen them live so many times. And off the back of this, I would have loved to have seen a set list including live sets of Red Sock Pugie, Balloons and Spanish Sahara. I already have Holy Fire and so to find out that I had bought the album again when I already have it left me annoyed.

Holy Fire though, is an OUTSTANDING album...would have preferred the live recordings on this occasion.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 April 2013
This is the first Foals album I have bought, I actually found them by accident and I'm quite glad I have, this is the best album I've heard this year and it's never off, I play it in the car and I sometimes bring it in to the house and play it again. theres not many albums that I can just put on and listen to from start to finish. From the heavier 'inhaler' to the mellower 'bad habit' and 'late night', every tune is a classic. Who says its all been done before, get the foals, change your life!