Customer reviews

on 19 April 2015
I had two versions of this book on my Kindle - downloaded a year apart and with quite different titles. So, it was obviously a book that appealed to me - being a lover of old crime stories (Agatha Christie, Ngaio Marsh etc) and cryptic crosswords.

Now, for some cross words. My versions were "Death by Unches" and "A Puzzling Death". Both cost me nothing thank heavens for small mercies. Now, the book is being marketed as "Crosswords can be Lethal". I wonder what it will be called next year! And I do hope that people are not duped into paying for this more than once. And believe me, once is very much more than enough!

The story centres around Dr Galimatias' idea that his crossword compiler (who lives in the same town as he does) has been murdered. No one else is convinced. I managed to get to 35% and this was as far as the story had gone ...

We have lots of descriptions of food - endless talk about food in fact. (Dr G is on the large side so maybe that's why?)

We have bits and bobs about crosswords - including Dr G explaining how cryptic crosswords work to his lodger Aramus (yawn ...). We also have quite a few "difficult / rare / interesting" words. Difficult maybe if you are not a crossword / scrabble fan of course.

Shame really as it sounded like it was going to be good. Really, it's just an opportunity for the author to show off his/her knowledge of crosswords. Perhaps a much better plot to hang that knowledge on would help. This one does not work I'm afraid.
on 8 February 2013
just like a contray columbo ... the plot has to be elusive and intangible to some
with answers in the detail to others . it should have some colloquial speech ,
and be obscure with hidden meaning..
with all of that you get intrigue and a lifting subterfuge , as the book manoeuvres its self
to a conclusion
well this book has all the right letters in the right order

dave O