Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tom Chaplin Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

on 3 April 2017
More detailed than greys but too detailed
on 15 March 2017
Good book
on 28 September 2014
Brilliantly detailed clinical anatomy book. Excellent diagrams and good overviews of key points at the end of each section. It is very big and heavy so definitely one for studying at home and not carrying every day. If you're only investing in one study book make it this one
on 26 September 2017
Great book. Blue boxes are a god send! Really helpful
on 8 October 2017
It is definitely worth buying. Unfortunately the paperback cover came damaged.
on 4 August 2017
good
on 26 September 2017
Detailed and precise
on 5 March 2017
I have studied anatomy for 4 years now ( as a pure anatomy student and medical student) On both my anatomy course and medical course, this was the recommended textbook and it is not hard to see why!

Pros
The book offers an insight into all regions of the body such as the upper limb, lower limb, back, thorax and pelvis. There are many illustrations in the book which is important as anatomy is a very visual subject. The formatting of the book is very nice and information us organised in a clear and comprehensive manner. After each section, there are clinical pages on certain conditions to reinforce the importance of the subject. Whilst some may dislike the book, dismissing it as too wordy, I feel that in most cases the large amount of text is useful when considering 20 marks questions. It has pages with tables outlining the origins, insertion and innervations of muscleswhich are particularly useful.

Cons - Neuroanatomy is not well discussed. There is a chapter on head and neck and cranial nerves but if your course is heavy in neuroanatomy you won't find sufficient information in this book
on 12 July 2013
This title is perhaps one of the best known and well respected anatomy textbooks across the world alongside other titles such as Gray's Anatomy: The Anatomical Basis of Clinical Practice, Expert Consult - Online and Print, 40e/Gray's Anatomy for Students: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e.

For the medical student though, choosing between these different great and well respected anatomy titles including Illustrated Clinical Anatomy, Second Edition,Gray's Anatomy for Students: With STUDENT CONSULT Online Access, 2e and many others can be overwhelming. Being a student reviewers for all these major publishers, I happen to have come across them all during my reviewing and can say that they all have great advantages to them & the only real difference between them is the way that the book conveys the information. Consequently when deciding on the book, how useful it will be to you will be dependent on the type of learner that you are and in part how your course is structured.

The course that I am on being a PBL spiral curriculum means that we learn about all the systems in the first year and then revisit them each year, adding more detail to what we know with each subsequent revisit. This book was one of the first titles to recognise that students on this type of course would find a book that includes clinical examples & relevant details to be a highly useful and desirable addition to their book collection.

Each and every chapter within this book is accompanied at the end of each section within it a blue clinical box that gives the reader information on; anatomical variations, life cycle changes, trauma, diagnostic & surgical procedures and Pathology. This in my opinion is a unique selling feature of this title that although some of the other titles are now attempting to imitate is not found in the same depth/style within any other title. An additional unique feature of this anatomy text can be found in some of the resources that are available with the text through the online portal called thePoint. Through this service the student is able to access videos that explain a select (small) range of clinically important conditions such as Carpal Tunnel syndrome, benign prostatic hyperplasia and Bell Palsy all of which are common and important conditions for medical students.

Naturally all books include disadvantages and in the place of this book I would say for students that follow a more dissection anatomy teaching using cadavers then this would not necessarily be the best book for you as there are no such images in large quantity in this book. What this book does offer though is high quality images & diagrams that aid the user greatly in learning the content put forth in this book. The only other disadvantage is that this book comes only with a 3 year access to thePoint e-version of the title and medicine being a 5 year course you will only be able to use the print version in your 4th year and beyond.

In conclusion if you follow a more PBL spiral curriculum anatomy as part of your medical studies then I would strongly recommend any student to consider the purchase of this title in their first year. It will be a sound investment and you will find yourself coming back to the title year after year as you revisit the systems covered.

Competing Interests - Student Reviewer - Received Gratis Copy of this Text
on 22 April 2014
As I approach the end of my MBBS degree, I feel to write a short review about my impression of this book.

During my pre-clinical years, I never touched this book once. I found that there were far better resources available to help my understanding of anatomy eg Ackland's Video Atlas, Grey's Anatomy for Students. This book has all the knowledge but I feel as though its not been targeted to the modern day student. It has far too much detail than you need to know with regards to anatomy for a medical student. Having said this, I'm sure it will have a place on my bookshelf should I choose to go into surgery in the future.

Moreover, the blue sections (the clinical bits) were actually pretty dam good. For my iBSc I found the blue sections very useful and instrumental to my success. Even though my iBSc was in Anatomy, I still refused to refer to this books anatomy pages (roughly 80% of the book) simply due to the extensive jargon and my need for simplicity. I'm sure there are some readers out there that enjoy this style of text tho.