Customer reviews

on 1 May 2014
I love historical romance and this was not a bad example. There were some plausibility issues and I wasn't keen on the "Fortune Games" as this seemed to be a kind of caricature of "Hunger Games" - the Games were not even that interesting and I didn't like being reminded of more modern themes. However, I loved Emma's character and the whole idea behind the story. I enjoyed the book as a whole and there were some very witty and amusing scenes. I would recommend it.
on 20 April 2016
Fun read. I liked it
on 20 July 2014
I liked this book but the only criticism i have is that the word broad to discribe a woman is used in america most certainly not in britian.
on 26 May 2017
Not finished the book yet but I am enjoying it so for and would recommend it to others to read
on 13 March 2015
Good read.
on 17 March 2014
I really enjoyed this story - the main characters were great, the story was well written and it was also very amusing. Excellent!
on 10 December 2014
Awesome!
on 19 February 2017
This was a nice read, it wouldn't have you up half the night desperate to finish it but it was quite 'enjoyable'.
I liked the chemistry between the two main characters, she never swooned at his feet as he was used of the ladies of the 'ton' doing and kept him grounded.
It was easy to see that an American wrote this story as there were several words used that never made it to England until the invention of the TV.
Oh one thing that really annoyed me was how our herione treated Benedict - she dropped him and picked him up when it zuited her and in the end hadn't even the manners to drop him a note to let him know she wasn't marrying him.. Also her friends alluded to a stain on his character yet we read of it no more ????
on 27 November 2013
The Wicked Wallflower is a lot of fun. It's unashamed fluff that pokes fun at a number of current trends in popular culture and Ms Rodale certainly displays a talent for writing sparkling dialogue that flows effortlessly. The story is well written, there's plenty of wit, the chemistry between the hero and heroine is wonderful, the love scenes are steamy and there's a subtle undercurrent of deeper emotion that comes to the surface in the later part of the book.

BUT.

If you like a bit of historical accuracy in your historical romance, this may not be the book for you. The dialogue is frequently anachronistic (for example, the hero consistently refers to his great aunt as "the old broad", or calls the heroine's previous suitor "lover-boy") and there are certain conventions of the time that are notable by their absence, such as the fact that the heroine - a young, unmarried lady - never seems to be accompanied by a chaperone.

Well-done romantic fluff is difficult to pull off , and Ms Rodale is certainly one of those who is talented enough to be able to write it well. This is a book for one of those days when you don't want to overtax your brain and can leave your desire for historical accuracy at the door.

You can read a more detailed version of this review at All About Romance: [...]
4 people found this helpful
on 11 March 2014
Sometimes that story takes a long time getting to the main points, however it ends well and I did enjoyed reading it.