on 22 July 2016
A wieghty tombe! How does it compare to "the Bible" (The Art of Electronics)? Maybe not as advanced (and soo would suit beginners better?), and now that I have both, a lot of material is duplicated across both books. But sometimes it helps to get a different slant on the same subject.

Perhaps written a bit more for the student of electronics. If you don't already have The Art of Electronics, you might consider this a good referrence book. Yes, most if not all of it is available on the Interweb somewhere, but if you know the value of a good book, you'll know that no number of web pages can replace a good printed copy in your hand.

Practical? yes. For INVENTORS, though? Hmm, not sure about that!
8 people found this helpful
on 16 February 2016
Not a perfect book but reasonable value for money. Better as a "quick hack" reference than a tutorial. Some of the topics regarding transistor circuits are rushed, particularly explanations of very common things like current sources and differential amplifiers. Also a lot of gaps in the material. Then there are some crazy bits like bench stock lists which and build your own lab bench which should probably be removed or revised. But overall it is a good reference and a handy book to have around. I've used it a number of times to look up information or jog my memory on a number of things.

Controversially perhaps but I think it's better than the Art of Electronics if you have absolutely no experience with electronics at all. Certainly better than any of the Make books that have been released.
6 people found this helpful
on 29 May 2018
Firstly, I don't think this type of book works on Kindle (even on iPad). The large format makes is readable but this is not a book for linear reading and you can't jump around in the way you can with a printed book.
Secondly there is far more theory than is needed for practical electronics (I guess it's about 1st year university level). The practical doesn't flow very well from the theory. Most practical electronic design is achieved without recourse to the detailed mathematical treatment presented in this book.
Finally, from my point of view, the treatment of instruments offers little about some of the low cost equipment available for the PC which most hobbyist (inventors) would use today.
on 8 July 2016
The only slight disappointment is that I would have liked diagrams in colour.
Especially the first two pages listing electronic symbols; such as resistors and capacitors.
Otherwise for the price of $40 and 998 pages excluding the index that is good value.
Well written the math can be a bit heavy but is explained logically.

Happy with my purchase although, I have only plowed through the first 40 pages so far !
3 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2015
There are things in this book which annoy me, but the overall quality of the book is such that no less than 5 stars can possibly do justice to the work, talents, of the two authors.

Things which irritated me were: poor layout of graphics (example - "As show on the right"). However, graph not depicted in said place. Annotations which are so small - even with spectacles on I could hardly read them without 'over' concentrating on what I was seeing. Also, please authors - don't keep informing people that such things as 'scary' maths exist to solve a certain problem: just show them the easy way, as you generally have done, full stop. Oh, that takes me to another point - do keep in mind that it is a North American book and some aspects of the subject relate to that country and not the UK.

Thoroughly recommended
One person found this helpful
on 21 March 2018
I have an older edition and chose to update to the newer one. Of course the way transistors work has not changed, or any other of the theoretical and basic stuff.

The contents are greatly expanded resulting in a much bigger book. The contents are very worthwhile and many an Arduino user new to electronics would be well advised to get and read this book.
on 8 December 2013
I have not encountered any mistakes yet but then again I probably know too little about electronics to spot any. So far I'm very impressed with the book. I wanted a book that could give me a more in-depth understanding of electronics than Make: Electronics (which I highly recommend).

I found this book perfect for my needs. On over 1000 pages the authors go over various aspects of electronics using clear examples, pictures and calculations. I didn't find maths in this book to be too challenging but it's definitely an important part of the book. After all this book is meant to take you to the next level.

'Practical Electronics for Inventors' is a really comprehensive book. Probably one of the best general electronics book out there!
2 people found this helpful
on 16 March 2014
Sometimes you read a book written by someone who is knowledgeable, passionate about their subject and can actually write. This is such a book. It's quite simply inspiring and I've thoroughly enjoyed it and I have no doubt I will be going back to it again (and again) in the future.
7 people found this helpful
on 5 January 2018
This is a great book, very well written and easy to follow with great diagrams and in depth explanations of the topics. It has a plethora of information from basic to advanced topics. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking to learn the basics of electronic components, projects and also for those who need to cover the advanced topics. I have learnt a great deal from this book.
on 27 May 2015
Electronics theory is great but when you do stuff for real lots of 'unexpected' things can happen. Finding out what works in real-life designs is always painful and that knowledge seperates the bookworms from the engineers.

This book includes all the practical stuff that you need to know for designing stuff in the real world. Some of the stuff is very technical and deep but actually it's at the level that's required if you are designing stuff. It's very readable and that helps you to not notice that there is a lot of university-level material here.
One person found this helpful