on 2 October 2014
Good second volume in the trilogy. Enjoyable second book, continuing the story of Sarah Midnight. I do think this is aimed at teens, so is in the werewolf type idiom, although no actual werewolves in this book. It's secret families saving us from a dark underworld.

Good enough story to purchase this second book, as was the third, so I have read the complete set now. Some parts are a little repetitive over the whole series, and sometimes the action is slow, but the budding romance moves on, and I was happy to have read all three.
on 15 March 2017
really enjoyed this book and the other two books that are with this book
on 2 December 2014
Really getting into the story now, trying to figure out which way the story will turn next. Have downloaded the last book in the series. Looking forward to the finale.
on 18 April 2013
I read the first book in this trilogy and thought it was amazing. This one is just as good if not better. I didn't want to put it down.
on 2 March 2014
Fast paced and makes you want to continue reading to find out what happens next. Gripping storyline. I loved it.
on 22 February 2013
Firstly I'd like to thank Black & White Publishing for sending me this paperback to read and give an honest review, I had really been looking forward to reading this after enjoying the first book in the trilogy Dreams.

The story began with an interesting prologue which revealed a piece of Sarah's family history, this was something that featured heavily throughout the book and I was pleased to have some of my leftover questions from Dreams answered. After the prologue it picked up where the cliffhanger ending from last time had left off - Sarah was still being watched and Sean seemed to be stuck in some kind of uncomfortable limbo, until a surprise visitor turned up and told him something he really didn't want to hear.

There were times when Sarah seemed lost and slightly bewildered by the events of her life, but her strength from the previous book definitely grew as she learned more about her history and this was great to see. I felt unsure about Nicholas before and his behaviour this time around troubled me once again, when the truth about him was revealed I can't say that I was too surprised because I had figured it would be something along those lines. His plans for Sarah's future were dark and unpleasant but despite this I found myself feeling sorry for him, particularly as the story progressed and I felt like I got to know him better.

The whole book had a mysterious feel to it and the author held my interest throughout with the many twists and turns in the storyline. With new monsters and demons to defeat Sarah faced much more tragedy and in the midst of all this action was a hint of romance that was incredibly complicated but added a warm touch to the story.

Once again I enjoyed reading the characters inner thoughts, it really gave a clearer insight into the workings of their minds - you always discover the truth with those few little words. I also loved how the author had created an exciting power for each member of the group of friends so that when they were together they seemed so powerful.

The visit to Islay was my favourite part of the book because it was where the story intensified - fierce battles were fought and shocking secrets were discovered, all of this seemed to change the direction of Sarah's thoughts and gave her even more strength.

The author's descriptive writing made it easy to visualise everything and I would love to see these books come to life as a movie. I finished with a smile on my face and I'm full of anticipation about the next book, I just can't wait to find out what happens next!

This was an action-packed and imaginative page turner which had me hooked from start to finish.
on 7 March 2013
Originally posted here: [...]

No man is a prophet in his own country is a saying that perfectly fits Daniela Sacerdoti, an Italian author who wrote and published novels... in English. And no, we don't have any of her books in Italy. Last year I read Dreams, first book of the Sarah Midnight Trilogy, a paranormal YA. The protagonist is Sarah, who belongs to an ancient family who fights demons. Her parents are dead now and have left Sarah untrained and unprotected.

For as much as I liked the first book, it took me a bit to dive into Sarah's world and follow all the switching POVs, I didn't have this issue with Tide and I could fully appreciate the story, till an ending which made me want the last book RIGHT NOW.

Tide picks up where Dreams ended; Sarah has thrown away Sean after discovering he pretended to be her cousin Harry in order to protect her; now she dates Nicholas, who seems to have a weird influence on her. After straightening out things with Sean, Sarah feels like she should go back to her family house, situated in an island, in order to try and understand things.

In this book the main focus is not only Sarah, we do get a good look at all the other characters, from Sean to Elodie, from Nicholas to Winter and I'm glad we had the change to discover their complex personalities. Sarah is such a complicated girl, with her problems and her issues which make her very human (the fact that she has to clean everything obsessively speaks volume), but I appreciated Elodie, who has an interesting situation, and Nicholas, tormented and about to take a difficult choice.

The Scottish setting is very evocative and so are the atmospheres that Daniela Sacerdoti can create. The story has that creepy and eerie feeling that I adore in a paranormal YA. The author does a great job with the characters, giving each and every one of them their space. We get into their mind and, thanks to the different writing style for each POV, we are able to follow the story through their eyes. This was one of the issues I had in Dreams, because I found confusing the alternating POVs, but this time they blend perfectly.

It's really a shame that an Italian author is not published in Italy (YET). I'm glad she's published abroad, but I'd love to see her here!

My favourite quote:

She didn't want to have anything to do with Sean ever again.
She wanted to hear his voice.
She wanted him to come back.
She wanted him to go away, and disappear forever.
She didn't know what she wanted.
on 27 February 2013
'Tide' follows Sarah Midnight's story as her world becomes ever more threatening and mysterious, making for a truly exciting page-turner.

As well as the continuing drama from the first novel's action ('Dreams'), Daniela Sacerdoti brings in new intrigues about the Midnight family's history, eventually drawing Sarah back to her family's ancestral home in Islay where the drama really gets underway and dark secrets are revealed. The characters become more complex, as we gain an insight into the troubled mind of Nicholas and see his anguished dilemma between fulfilling his father's evil desires and his complicated devotion to Sarah. Sean, whose true identity was revealed at the end of 'Dreams', is working hard to regain Sarah's trust whilst fighting against his suspicion and jealousy of Nicholas. The struggle between resentment and reconciliation between him and Sarah provides a really interesting storyline.

Sarah herself becomes more confident in her own abilities in this book, yet still retains a very vulnerable side that means at many points her fate teeters in the balance!

The group dynamics as the characters gather together to meet a fearsome enemy are brilliant, with some genuinely terrifying monsters and heroic action. The scene is set for the next instalment, and I can't wait!!
on 6 March 2013
Originally posted on Serendipity Reviews.
I do love a Daniela Sacerdoti book!
I think she is one of those authors who has really captured my interest over the last couple of years and is instantly on my Buy list.
That first line really draws you in. Your intrigue and imagination are both captured at once.
This is the second book in the Sarah Midnight Trilogy series and I can assure you there is no second book syndrome in this book. Uh uh! This book introduces new characters, new settings and new turn of the page thrilling action and drama.
We finally get to meet Elise, Harry Midnight's wife, who appeared briefly in the first book. On arrival her relationship with Sarah is relatively frosty. You keep thinking they will never ever become friends. Luckily as the book progresses, they begin to see the bigger picture and accept each one's part in it. Nicholas had the most interesting character arc within this book and throws some unexpected punches into the story. Sarah changes a lot in this book. You see her so much stronger and capable than she was in Dreams. She really accepts her destiny and grows into it.
We also get to see Sarah's ancestral home, Midnight Hall, on the isle of Islay. This house could have stepped out of the pages of a Susan Hill ghost story, it was seriously spooky. Sarah learns so much more about her past while here and unanswered questions from Dreams are dealt with. We learn so much more about Sarah's family and you get a glimpse of what Sarah could become if she isn't careful.
The battle intensifies while on the island and the conclusion of the book is extremely dramatic. Sarah's life takes an unscheduled turn towards another journey that is necessary to end this battle. By the end of the book I was left shell shocked and lost, desperate to find out what would happen next. Book 3 seems such a long way away!
The story is told from many viewpoints, some of which are in first person, while others in third. I struggled a little with that in Dreams, but recently there has been a trend within the YA market for more like this, so I really enjoyed this style this time round.
Dani Sacerdoti really is an incredible writer. She knows how to bring every image to life. You don't have to question any scene as you can see it easily in your head, as the descriptions flow easily off the page.

If you haven't read a book by this author yet, you are seriously missing out. This is an excellent example of paranormal YA set in the UK.
on 3 July 2014
I really enjoyed Tide and can't wait for the final book in the series. I chose this rating because the story was well written with believable characters, had unexpected plot twists and was written from several characters point of view.

(Warning: this part of the review does contain some spoilers)
The story was about Sarah, Sean, Elodie, and Nicolas. In the first book (Dreams) Sean had pretended to be Harry, Sarah's cousin, who had in fact been killed by the Sabha, a group of of people who were supposed to help the secret families, but had been infiltrated by demons and were now evil. Sarah found out Sean was lying, and banished him from the house. She was saved from a demon by Nicolas, and now he is her boyfriend. Sarah's Aunt Juliet is badly injured by a demon. Sarah goes to Islay for the Christmas holidays with Sean, Elodie and Nicolas. When they arrive, they find Mike and Nial, who are other demon hunters. Nicolas saves Elodie's life, when she is attacked by some elemental ravens, and Sarah finds out more about what happened to her aunt, Mairead, who died mysteriously, when she had just started dreaming. They are all attacked by a group of mermen, evil sea demons, and Nicolas admits to being the King of Shadows son. They defeat the sea demons, but because Nicolas helped them, his father turns him blind and un leashes the brain fury on Nicolas. Nicolas tells them that he knows where the portal to the world of demons is, and agrees to show them. Sarah breaks up with Nicolas, and her and Sean admit to loving each other.