TOP 100 REVIEWERon 18 April 2014
I was rather disappointed by the second volume of this trilogy because it felt like a Filler. The heroes and “the nasty usurper” (who is in fact the legitimate heir, except that he has killed his father to seize the throne) galloping around the steppe and chasing each other for more than 350 pages before the “day of reckoning” and its somewhat predictable outcome.

The book was slow-paced, and filled up with lots of rather unnecessary dialogues between the characters, to the extent that it took me much longer than usual to finish (a week instead of a couple of days). The plot has some features that I found rather implausible, such as having the high priestess (who is supposed to remain a virgin) eloping with Nikometros, our shinning hero, and getting away with it because this is shown to be “the will of the Goddess” by some of the other priestesses.

I also wondered about the book’s title, which seems to be unrelated to the story itself and refers to Alexander, although he does not make the slightest appearance in this volume. Finally, they are still some of the glitches and mistakes that can be found in the first volume. For instance, neither the Greco-Macedonian cavalry nor the Scythians had shields at the time. Also, and contrary to what the book seems to suggest, given the prominence that it gives to them, swords were very much a secondary weapon, both on horseback and for infantry.

I neither need nor want to write about more since by now it should be clear that I did not like this second episode, mostly for the reasons listed above. I will, however, read the third episode, hoping that I will appreciate it more than this one. Two stars.
on 5 January 2015
Great
on 9 May 2013
The second volume of a trilogy filling out in fictional narrative the life and times of Scythians caught up in Alexander's grand adventure. The usual Kindle editing problems are found, but not in abundance.
on 1 October 2013
I thought it was a good read and went through the three books quite quickly. Of course, for me the ultimate Alexander books are those by Mary Renault and I don't think they have ever been equalled, but this trilogy was an interesting slant on that period. I'm not quite sure about trying to put the blame for Alexander's death on a Roman though! Interesting idea.
33 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 December 2013
When I reviewed the first book in this series I was very critical but was encouraged when the author actually contacted me and encouraged me to read the rest of the series. I have now completed the second book and was impressed by the great story line. Many thanks Max keep on writing. As soon as I get a minute will read thenext one.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2013
Having read the first in this series which was excellent I purchased the second in this series. I should have saved my money it was dull, depressing, torture. It is okay for a few things to go wrong but not everything all the time. I gave up in the end. Please have mercy on us poor reader !
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2013
The whole trilogy is a bit overlong and daft in parts and historically way out!!

It is more of a love story than hiostoritcal fiction.

I managed to get through to the end though nearly gave up a couple of times.
on 16 September 2013
Very enjoyable reading the story. Makes the characters real the twists and turns in the story draw you on to the next chapter the finale was well structured leading you to want to follow. to the, last ==book in the series
on 8 August 2013
following on from Lion of Scythia does what it says and gives the reader the latest adventures of the main characters from the Lion. You will want to keep reading and finish all 3 books in the series.
on 28 November 2013
Enjoyed the first book but found the second one a little thin on substance and interest. I will however attempt to see them through to the end by reading volume three.