on 15 August 2015
I stumbled across this by accident as I'm was looking for something Jam related as a present for a close friend Buck, who has gone a bit Mod of late. Maybe he is having.g a midlife crisis as the big 50 is upon him!
Being old school myself, having a Kindle was not for the reading of books but seeing James Miller's book was only available on Kindle and at a couple of quid, I thought I'd give it a whirl.
Miller has managed to give a very good account of his youth but, very much like Chris Limb's excellent, "I was a teenage Toyah fan", it is through his eyes, but I guarantee you will find lots of things you can relate too, especially if you were into music in the late 1970's and beyond. I found loads and I'm not a Mod, my genre of choice is punk, I've never had a scooter, although I've always liked the look of them and I don't much care for soul music. However, in this day and age, musical tastes are not as regimental as they were in those heady days of dole queues and Thatcherism and 'Retro' is always the next big thing and this a very retro based book which I found very enjoyable and easy to read.
My only real criticism is it is just like Chris Limb's book, in that it is not long enough.
I'm also left feeling that, although I don't know the author, I'd probably get on very well with him and I'm sure you will think the same.
on 3 January 2015
Yes, I enjoyed it , there is still a book out there somewhere that will capture the excitement and fun of this period. The Psychedelic phase that is mentioned i knew nothing of, having come from Bristol it was obviously more of a London thing.
i had to check that i had down loaded it all properly, because the ending was somewhat disappointing, but value for money 10/10.
Also would like to have heard how the guy who hit the central reservation is getting on...that made me get a lump in my throat. All in all good effort...
on 8 September 2013
A book that could have been written (or similar) by so many of the generation.
James Miller has caught the feeling of the times and the movement in this well written and honest account of his life.
on 7 August 2014
Really enjoyed this book took me straight back to my youth reminded me of rallies I had maybe not forgot but had gone to the darkness of my brain .felt like I was back there again things and people I had forgot came flooding back people I had not thought about for twenty odd years really enjoyed it if you are not sure about reading it all I can say is if you was there and want to remember even relive your youth again even if it's only in your mind as your body to old to do it then read this book .thankyou really enjoyed it mark Birmingham
on 16 February 2014
James passion and superb memory combine to provide a great book on an era I have very fond memories of being an albeit small part of in the late 1980s. James describes accurately that the mod, scooters, northern soul scene never really leaves you. Thanks for a great book.
on 20 December 2013
Informative and true! Brings back early memories of a second time around . Bristol mod scene. Wish I could have afforded a scooter back then but it was great to mix and dance to the great music of the era! Great read and recommended to all.
Born in 1966 and became a skinhead the 70,s my love for scooters stems back to the film that my brother was in but only recently go involved in. I can remember a few rucks with mods back in the day. Once reading this book I was hooked start to Finnish , a bloody great read ,well done!
on 11 March 2013
It is nice to hear some talking about the things I was doing in the early eights, take me back the the days that I didn't have to worry about morgages and bills. Just enjoying myself and living for the moment.
on 24 July 2014
I enjoyed reading about a real & normal person into the real & normal side of mod/scooterists. Not pertaining to be the ace face or top lad. Just a dancer & a scooter rider. Yes. Read it.
on 3 January 2014
It mirrored my life in the eighties. I too had a vespa,loved the jam and 2tone music. Went to scooter rallies to Blackpool,brilliant. Only I lived in the northwest not the south coast. I saw the jam live,best concert I ever saw,better than Macca and bowie put together. I also saw the Beat,Madness and recently From the jam with Bruce Foxton belting out all the jam anthems.