Format: DVD|Change

on 10 October 2013
You would think with all these stars this would be a great movie. It wasn't. The film moved very slow. The main characters outside of Macy were dull. The idea was clever, but the dialogue was not what I would expect from a real comedy. I didn't have any laugh out loud moments for this "madcap comedy." Three security guards are each in love with one particular piece of art. The museum is going to move the pieces so they decide to make fakes and substitute them for the real pieces. What was supposed to be "madcap" I assume, were the errors they made in swapping the paintings. It too was slow. Freeman and Walker should not be doing this type of "comedy" as they plainly don't have a feel for it.
on 1 October 2013
Three older security guards who really do love their art are forced to take desperate action when their favourite exhibits are to be sold abroad.
Unable to face life without their own particular favourites they decide to steal them and replace them with duplicates.
All goes well until the final slip-up.
An enjoyable film with some good performances and subtle twists.
Not fast paced but clever.
on 11 May 2011
One thing that does annoy me with film distribution these days is that whilst we here in the UK can be inundated with complete cack by big studios, little movies that are far more enjoyable are often unable to raise the funds to get a distribution deal here. This means that many people miss out on little gems. Not great films per se, but films that certainly deserve a better and bigger audience than they have. The Maiden Heist definitely falls into that category.

It is undeniably a small movie, even given its cast, and many people may feel they have been short changed by not having some crime epic on their hands. Personally I think its wrong to judge a film on what it never intended to be and judge it only on what it intends to be. In this case we have three main actors who are clearly having a ball, playing nice guys in a small, light but undeniably fun caper film. Its not perfect, but I'd take this movie over many of the big name comedies that appear on our shores with barely a laugh in them. This film has good actors, a great sense of whimsical charm and left me with a smile on my face. What more could you ask for?
on 29 December 2013
I was very disappointed with this film. I bought it because of the actors, principally Morgan Freeman, and to be honest after forcing myself to sit through it could not believe that he had signed up for such a film.
It was lame, cringy and not funny rather than nuanced and refreshing. The only part I thought was authentic was right at the end when one of the actors wakes up to the beauty of his wife over the painting he was in 'love' with.
Others may have enjoyed it, but I found it embarrassing to watch and off to the charity shop it goes!
on 28 February 2014
I rented the dvd from lovefilm but sent it back immediately. There are no subtitles on the DVD, which means a deaf person cannot enjoy the film. Its simply unacceptable for this to be the case in the 21st century. A hearing person may take a different view of the film but I think its important to inform those that need subtitles, especially as Lovefilm/Amazon are not good at providing accurate information prior to rental or purchase.
on 22 January 2014
What a disappointment. I love Morgan Freeman and saw this and thought it would nake a great Christmas Present .... but we were so disappointed with it overall when we settled down to watch it. The plot is terribly weak and the script is dreadful. Poor Morgan Freeman must really cringe when he watches this. It was so bad I even fell asleep halfway through and had to rewind it. Shouldn't have bothered really as it was all so implausable .... it was laughable. Couldn't recommend it I'm afraid... sorry Morgan!
on 4 June 2015
Didn't live up to my expectations given the cast list. Thought the ending was very disappointing - felt as if they didn't know quite how to finish it off. Will probably watch it again, but not on a regular (or even semi-regular) basis like I do so many others I own with Morgan Freeman in.
on 26 February 2014
An unusual crime caper that is brilliantly acted with good performances from all and a very clever plot.

Not so much of an action film but then it does not need to be.

The story moves along quite nicely with subtle side plots and was hugely enjoyable to watch.

This is a gem of a film which I would highly recommend.

Buy and enjoy and expect something original, funny and polished.
on 14 April 2013
Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinions and I bought this after seeing people give is rave reviews.
Next time I will listen to my gut - the only draw for me was Morgan Freeman, who normally delivers an outstanding performance.

The storyline was weak from the start, in fact we gave it half an hour and couldn't continue watching.
The humour was also very poor.

I have to say it was £9 of my money wasted. Off it goes to the charity shop.
on 22 January 2014
With three superb actors starring in this film, how was it not very good? OK, all of them played their parts well, the script was adequate, the concept clever .... but, somehow, it didn't quite gel. It's not a particularly poor movie, but I was left with a "so what?" kind of feeling at the end