VINE VOICEon 28 March 2014
I love all Michael Portilo's train journeys, they are a real treat and this one is no exception to that rule. After watching it makes you feel that you have been abroad to these places and he takes you into places which would normally be restricted to the public.
The scenery is just beautiful and you really feel that you are sat on the train with him.
What more can I say, I just love all of Michael Portilo's train journeys - someday I will purchase more and then I will be able to watch them in the winter time when I cannot get into the garden. So far I have been pleased that the TV has been re-running the older ones, which I have watched with enthusiasm.
on 21 May 2017
It is the usual high standard of education - geography, history, culture and quirky events - and entertainment. Mr Portillo is a real charmer, and he always makes everything interesting. My usual criticism is that the time goes far too quickly. One hour is hardly enough to show us everything we can learn about a particular country. He is articulate, pleasant and always willing to be made a fool of!
My heading refers to one of the programmes when I noted all his colourful jackets. It must be a VERY expanding suitcase,- a bit like The Tardis!
Cool!
Long may he continue this fascinating series!
on 23 October 2017
I do enjoy these collections of journeys, and this dvd is another great collection. A series of glimses of many places I haven't visited, and a few that I have, and each one a fascinating insight. I love the humerous presentation, and I will watch these multiple times, as I have done with earlier collections. Makes me want to jump on the next Eurostar and begin exploring!
on 10 October 2013
The whole presentation is beautifully balanced - useful and interesting historical perspectives, sunny on-demand-weather, astounding gob-smacking unrushed scenic shots, brilliant photography, excellent editing, a great sound track and a technically superb std DVD transfer.

Perhaps Michael Portillo's secret to not being too obtrusive - despite his obvious natural modesty and despite the fact although he appears in the majority of the shots - is his ability to deflect attention from himself by quoting from his beloved 1913 Bradshaw's while setting the context of the upcoming shots, or engaging some local expert on the finer details of the location.

Superior and compulsive viewing.
on 17 March 2014
Five x 60 minute masterpieces.
The BBC at its best, with great film work showing the European cities in all their glory.
Michael's enthusiasm really comes through & it’s a joy from start to finish.
Don’t be put off by the title “Great Railway Journeys” – while the shows do touch on the actual journeys, most of the time is spent at the destinations and how the railways help shape the development of these great European cities.
But this is no ordinary travel documentary; with Michael’s help, you really get a feel for what post 1914 Europe must have been like for the British traveller of the time.
on 6 December 2014
I love this dvd as it gives a pleasant, easy -going guide to railway routes in major areas of Europe. Here Michael Portillo is an excellent commentator/guide and you can almost imagine that you're there with him. He stops off in major towns and cities along the individual routes and gives details on local history and meets the people there. In this series he talks about commuting by train and its nature in the context of the beginning of World War. I would definitely recommend this video to train enthusiasts and anyone looking for a vicarious European holiday. Good fun!
on 27 April 2017
As always - one hour of wonderful entertainment in each episode. You learn so much about each country. The whole series is beautifully presented,meticulously researched,but all would be in vain if it was not for the presence of Michael Portillo (in spite of those coloured jackets and trousers - where does he get them from? Richard Francis
on 7 March 2017
Bought as a gift ready for fathers day
on 4 April 2015
This also was a good documentary series looking at the railway network with Mr Portillo. You see him in another light from when he was a politician. May I recommend watching the series around the U.K. first where he travels with his companion; a Victorian book; by George Bradshaw. The continental series is good and in all the programmes you get to find out lots of interesting facts.
on 13 March 2017
Another great series - ignoring Michaels silly comments he makes at times. I blame his director