on 24 November 2013
I bought the trilogy rather than just the first book, wondering if I had made a mistake. Definitely not. As soon as I finished it I bought the next book too.

Petrovitch is a damaged hero, but a hero with a heart. Hiding out in the London metropolis from a past he wants to forget, a random act of kindness exposes him to law, mob and corporation, and none of them are friendly. Petrovitch has to change from the quiet theoretical physicist he has become back into the outlaw teen who ran the streets of St Petersberg.
on 7 June 2013
If you like Iain M. Banks, or Cory Doctorow, you might like this as much as I did. Has a bit of a low in book 2, iirr, but overall he's got a great vision, a convincing creation, and is a good story teller. The next book in the series is good too.
on 12 August 2013
This was something I enjoyed - not to say it wasn't flawed but in the way of a big-explosion-no-brain-action-flick kind of way: damn good fun!

This might be doing it Mr Morden - and Petrovich - a disservice as this is in no way a brainless book - there are ideas aplenty - and it's told in a rollicking good way. I guess it says it all that I devoured these 3 in a few days and immediately bought the next in the sequence (hopefully the first in a second "Petrovhich Trilogy."

If you like your sci-fi gritty and vaguely noir-ish with an anti-hero at centre stage, this is for you.
on 2 July 2013
There is no getting away from it, the first book is a cliched badly written mess with poor characterisation and terrible dialog.

Having said that things improve massively in the later books. The second book is flawed but decent, the third book is very good, and the newly released fourth book is excellent.

It is worth saying that there are some general flaws throughout the whole trilogy. One that began to grate with me was that Petrovich and his little gang are always in the key battles which didn't really make much sense. However these flaws don't detract too much from the overall trilogy.

Given all this I'd suggest anyone who has trouble getting into the series to give it a bit of time as its definitely turning into an excellent series.
on 26 July 2014
Ok, the world has gone pear shaped and the hero is your typical anti-hero, a genius that the world craps but he always finds a way to beat the odds. The story keeps rolling on and I thoroughly enjoyed every page. It won't change your life but it will make the commute or 'just me' moments in the sun pleasant.
on 2 July 2013
I gave this a good go because I enjoy a good story and I am realistic about the level of literary accomplishment that is strictly necessary to get a good story across (not to say I don't enjoy the happy coincidence of a good, or even a great, writer tackling sci fi). However, ultimately I just could not carry on putting myself through the experience and had to stop (this was long after I had become embarrassed for myself at continuing to read a book that seemed to have been written by a teenager). As an aside I am almost certain that there is no such word as "span" in the sense of "he span around to see what was behind him" - I think that the word "spun" might be what the author was looking for (I mention this because this word in this type of context features more than once...)

I seldom write reviews but was prompted to do so when I realised that I had parted with £10 for the privilege of discarding over 90% of what I paid for...and derived negative utility out of the 10% that I did consume...

I had a similar experience with a book called "Ready Player One" but in that case I managed to grit my teeth and ultimately get some enjoyment from the experience (though I would not recommend that book either).