on 24 February 2018
I have read many of Lumleys’s works and have thoroughly enjoyed them. From Titus Crow and the Dreamlands books I have been on a rollercoaster of Lovecraftian fantasy and sci-fi.

So I then turned to Psychomech. It is a long novel and I will admit that it took a good while to fully grasp the setting. I will give away no spoilers but ask you to persevere. The novel starts slowly, setting the scene and establishing the characters. But it requires a lot from the reader too. This, however, is certainly no bad thing. But as you continue the pieces fall elegantly into place and then you are in for the fantastic ride of your life!

Now this novel was written back in the 1980s and things have changed since then. With the advent of cell phones and texting I have noticed novels are losing much of what makes them great, their descriptive prose and eloquent dialog. People don’t appear to wish to read too much at once any more, though this is purely my own observation.

But Psychomech is a great novel and I highly recommend it for plot and characters. I chose 4 stars for this review simply because I rarely give 5 unless I am truly astounded and entertained. Very rarely indeed will I feel this, but the length of the scene setting lost the extra star. But I may have been a little unfair. Let me know if you think so.
on 10 August 2013
Okay, I'm going to say some things in this review that some people might feel are unkind - so I want to preface that by making it clear that I am a great admirer of Brian Lumley. He writes some really good stuff, particularly the Necroscope series. However, like all authors, he ain't perfect, and some of his imperfections show up rather vividly in Psychomech.

Lumley's strengths lie in his intriguing concepts, memorable characters, and deceptively intricate plots with logical chains of causality. His main weakness is dialogue, and to be fair, the dialogue in this novel stinks. Not only is it wooden, over-expositiony, and melodramatic, but it just doesn't build character well. I also got tired of breathy female characters crying 'Oh, Richard!' or 'Oh, Gareth!' We also have to put up with male characters slamming their fists into their palms. And when, in one such fist-palming episode, a character cries, 'God damn!' I almost fell about laughing. Adam West and Burt Ward sprang to mind.

Enough unkindness, however honest it might be.

Psychomech is not the worst novel you will ever read. For me, it reads a little bit like a dress-rehearsal for Necroscope: The major themes are all there; ESP, teleportation, high-technology versus the paranormal, metempsychosis, father-son relationships, fear of death, life after death, etc. Furthermore, some of the lesser motifs appear; the swamp, the alien landscape with strange rock formations, there are even mentions of vampires! I can imagine that these themes were eating away at the author when writing this novel, but they finally came to a head with the brilliant Necroscope.

The characters in Psychomech are all memorable, although none of them are in any way nice (possible exception of Vicky). The concept is interesting, and the plot, while having some intricacy, ultimately fails to deliver simply because it is so linear.

If you can get past the melodramatic dialogue, though, it's a half-decent read.

Lastly, I have to say something about the production values of the ebook. Having also read a few of Gateway's ebook versions of the Necroscope books, I can now see that the proliferation of typos and formatting errors are due to poor editorial control. I would go as far as to say that the editing is amateurish, and completely lacking in due care and attention. The publishers are letting down both the author and the readers with these standards. They lose a star for this, which is why this is a two-star, not a three-star review.
on 24 August 2015
All getting a bit dated if this is a first time read. However Lumley fans will enjoy it - full of the normal gory fantasy
on 10 April 2014
Another great book in by Brian Lumley. He has such a vivid imagination and writes so that you can actually visualize the characters and settings. A good read.
on 24 August 2015
Continues the Psychomech story albeit with a new adversary, A good second book to the series.
on 19 April 2013
brian lumley is an excellent story teller. i have all the vampire books, some of which i have had for over thirty years and have read again for the second time. i also have the psycho trilogy books and will read them too in the future again
on 29 May 2017
Major Lumley fan, been looking for this book for years.
on 19 August 2014
moved along at a good pace, climaxing in a way which set you up for the nrxt book even though the book stands by itself.....!!!!!!
on 27 May 2015
Abso brilliant
on 6 December 2007
As a great fan of brian i was a little surprised with this book,,, i didnt think that it had much going for it. There was no shocks no gripping tension. I only finished the book because i was ill in bed and didnt have anything else to read..You know what the ending will be like half way through so it sorts of spoils it and you think why bother,