on 12 May 2014
I came to this after reading Antthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential. This insight shares much of the same combination of revelation and horror but from quite a different perspective. This is a fine portrayal of a man with an obsessive 24/7 drive to achieve just one goal. Three Michelin stars. This story of the pursuit of perfection from a Leeds council estate to the jaw dropping account of the Oak Room will have any foodie completely gripped. Also, I will never look at a pig's trotter without laughing ever again!
on 17 June 2010
Absolutly the best autobiography I have read, just could not put it down until it was finished
on 10 February 2008
Before seeing him on 'Hell's kitchen' i knew nothing about this man, but decided to buy the book as i found him so intriguing. i wasn't disappointed! what a man! At the beginning of the book he tells of his mothers death at aged 6 and you feel for the poor young boy, however, nowhere in the book do you sense any self pity. Just a purely resolute man who knows the only way up is to work his butt off! As he says in the book, whenever things seemed like they were too much, i just remembered my mothers death and thought "What could be as bad as that?". He expects nothing from anyone. For anyone feeling sorry for themselves or just simply needing a role model, then this is the book for you. A pure inspiration!
on 12 July 2013
I am a chef of more than a decade and as such i have heard tales of Marco's colourful background. It was a good insight into the career of the man but his storytelling leads a lot to be desired. Certain storys cut off before a punchline or anecdotes are left unexplained. If you are not involved in the catering industry then there is probably not a great deal in this book for you.

Over all a good read and there are things to be learned for the young aspiring chef aswell as familiar concepts for the older ones.
VINE VOICEon 15 July 2009
I have only ever read three other autobiographies and that was enough to put me off the genre for good. However I picked this one up because Marco lived on the same estate as my grandparents whom I visited regularly as a child and I thought local references and memories might be interesting. I was intending to skim read it but I was engrossed from the first page.

The loss of his mother at such a young age was by far the most traumatic thing that ever happened to him and whilst he acknowledges this and recognises how the experience, amongst other things, might have shaped him, he doesn't use it as an excuse. In fact it's interesting to see how a persons attributes and failings can be traced to parents, upbringing and early experiences.

I enjoyed his tales of escaping to the Harewood estate to go fishing and his first jobs, his days on the Kings Road with the Chelsea crowd through to his success as a Michelin starred chef. Most of all I admired his hard work, determination and passion for creating which comes through almost obsessively. Even if you have no interest in fine dining or 'cheffing' you can't help but enjoy his mischievous streak as he describes people he worked with and stories of pranks both in the kitchen and out.
on 25 July 2008
I vaguely remember Marco being married to Lisa Butcher for not very long quite a few years ago and that he had a bit of a temper, but apart from that i was completely oblivious to his existance - until i saw the first episode of the great british feast a few weeks ago, and sat transfixed at the man that was on the screen. I have since then read his autobiography to find out how this mesmerising, humourous, slightly bonkers man came about.
The book is a one sitting read, it is written exactly as if he was talking to you. The death of his mother when he was 6 seems to be the single event in his life that has shaped his life, that has made him the man that he is, and her death will haunt him until the day he dies. Yes, his behaviour has not always been perfect and he has many personality flaws, but he apologises for none of it, instead he just seems to tell you the plain truth for you to make up your own mind about his actions. He is nothing if not honest.
By the end of the book i was left near to tears with his final words about his mother. You just want to be able to mend him!!
on 1 February 2015
A good book, looks in great detail at how and what drove him to chive what he did, although there is precious little by way of apology and even self-justification for some utterly atrocious behaviour. Also interesting is the smoke and mirrors when compared to accounts from chefs he has feuded with over who insulted who and when.
on 13 August 2014
I met the guy when he checked in at the hotel I worked at. He has an intimidating prescence and I think he thrives on that. There is no doubt that to be the best you have to be disciplined and it's interesting to find out how he was brought up as a child. I love watching him cook, he has something about him that is compelling and encouraging. But I'm glad i never worked in a kitchen beside him. No wonder Gordon Ramsey is the way he is having worked under Marco. I can hardly cook myself but the book is just riveting from the first page to the last. Maybe he wanted his book to be perfect too just like his cooking? Well once again he's succeeded.
on 10 June 2010
Wow! What can I say? I couldn't put it down, I read the whole book in about 3 hours. It was honest, heartbreaking, funny and passionate, with lovely little cooking tips along the way that were totally personal and very Marco. Marco's northern wit mixed with his Italian fire, tells a story that makes you feel like he has opened up his soul to only you. This is a no holds barred account of a man who threw his whole being into a career he was in love with, sometimes at the expense of loved ones and ruining friendships and relationships along the way.
If you want a truthful, sexy, humerous, damn good read, buy this. Marco Pierre White's Devil in the Kitchen, is as juicy and succulent as one of Marco's own dishes, revealing that there is, probably, a little bit of Devil in all of us.
on 3 November 2014
A very interesting guy! This book is a real good insight in to the life of a very colorful character! The parts covering chef competitiveness and rivalry come through as childish and petty in my opinion, but everything else is worth a read! ; )