Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Tokio Myers Learn more Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 27 September 2017
Enjoyed this story.
on 17 August 2016
I couldn't get interested in this book at all, very slow to read and not much occurring.
on 15 January 2014
i did enjoy this book,i did not think it was a gripping as The Burying Place but it was good book.i have given it four stars because i worked out who the killer was when the character was first introduced into the story.I also found Maggie to be very annoying in this book and did not like the way that she treated Cat.Apart from the above,the story is good and although i guesses who the killer was i still had things that i wanted to know that kept me wanting to finish it whereas normally when i work out who the killer is i normally dont want to finish reading a book and find another one to read.
on 31 May 2014
Nothing binds people quite like a large portion of guilt and Stride certainly has that when it comes to Cat. Cat on the other hand is a mixture of personalities, now and again a child, often survival expert and sometimes a Lolita.

Cat turns out to be the daughter of someone Stride used to know, despite a load of warning signals he decides to help her out. Yes she has a wee knife fetish and walks around in her sleep, but hey there could be worse scenarios, right?

The focus of this story is on the emotional burden Stride carries around with him. He messed up his relationship with Serena, he has difficulty connecting with Maggie and he is still bound to a woman from his past. He yearns for the temptation of the unfulfilled love and burns with an inner anger because he blames himself for her death.

It seems as if the Lolita has gotten herself tied up in corruption and the deviant behaviour of others. It is fair to say that Maggie not only doesn't trust Cat, she also doesn't like her much. I think she resents the girl being allowed into the inner sanctum of Stride, a place Maggie no longer has access to.

On a side note, who thinks the cold wind often chews on their face like maggots? I had to read that sentence twice and it still made me shiver with disgust. Thank you Mr Freeman for forever linking together in my mind, cold winds and maggots that like to chew on faces.

It is a crime story with emphasis on the past, heavy on the emotions and lighter on the action.

I received a copy of this book via NetGalley.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 28 April 2014
I've read the first couple of Brian Freeman's novels featuring protagonist Jonathan Stride. His latest novel, The Cold Nowhere, is the sixth in the series.

A young girl trapped on a boat, pursued by an unknown assailant. She's not as helpless as her pursuer might think though...."Wherever she went, whatever she did, Cat always carried a knife." She escapes - and lands on Detective Stride's doorstep.

Stride is back working in Duluth, Minnesota. And his past has come back to haunt him as well. Stride knows Cat - he failed to save her mother. Michaela was brutally murdered by her husband - stabbed to death, in fact. And now Cat swears someone is trying to trying to kill her too. Stride vows to help her. "He couldn't undo what was done or erase his mistakes. All he could do was make a promise."

Familiar and recurring characters appear in The Cold Nowhere - notably Stride's partner Maggie Bei and ex-lover/partner Serena Dial. I 've enjoyed these two female characters in the past. They're strong personalities. A secondary personal storyline always adds to a book. The sexual tension and rivalry between these two women and Stride has been carried on throughout this series. A little bit is good. A lot, not so much. In The Cold Nowhere, I found myself growing weary of the repetitiveness of it. And for me, it cheapened the two female leads.

Stride is struggling with inner turmoil - for many pages.

"She'd opened the door for him, and all he had to do was walk through it. All he had do was open up. He wanted to tell her. He wanted to do what she'd done for him and lay himself bare."

Enough already. I found myself skipping pages and glossing over these poignant moments by the middle of the book. I was looking for a novel closer to Freeman's first book (which was award winning) More crime, less angst.

The crime storyline was well plotted crime and the final whodunit was a good one. There were a few procedural/plot points that bothered me. An upscale prostitution ring may be operating because the rate of STD's in the city has risen? Hmm, if it's upscale, I wouldn't expect the rate of STD's to go up or raise suspicion. And the other one that bothered me was Maggie (who I really like) giving information about a crime/case to a civilian.

There were a few awkward similes....

"She should have been pretty, but life and want had gnawed at her face like an attack of bed bugs."

And more insects...

"Insanely cold - twenty degrees below zero. Stride felt the wind chewing like maggots at his face."

There was just too much 'stuff' that got in the way of what could have been a really good crime read. I'm in the minority on this one, as The Cold Nowhere was just an okay read for me.
on 18 April 2016
Stride and Maggie and Serena, oh my! Put them all together in a snowy, frozen Duluth murder case, and what do you get? Fire and ice. Sizzle and steam!

Okay, The Cold Nowhere is the sixth of Brian Freeman’s Jonathan Stride mystery thrillers, and you really have to know what’s gone on in previous books to appreciate the complex, messy relationships among these three characters. That’s all I’m saying about that.

As for the plot, Freeman throws in teenage prostitutes, rich men, and murder. Oh my! When a 16-year-old runaway named Catalina Mateo shows up at his house, Stride vows to help her because of what he failed to do ten years earlier – protect her mother when she was stabbed to death multiple times by her husband, who then shot himself. Cat, who was six at the time, hid under the porch and heard it all. But what really happened? She claims that someone has been following her and trying to kill her. Are these the drug-induced imaginings of a messed up kid, or could someone really be after her?

Anyone who has read Brian Freeman’s works knows that he loves to use the city of Duluth as his backdrop, and he creates mood, tension, and excitement through the use of images. In this book, we get a sense of anxiety at the Aerial Lift Bridge as a driver impatiently wait for the bridge so he can cross. We shiver from cold and fear in the fog and ice over Lake Superior as a desperate girl jumps off a ship to escape her stalker. We shudder nervously as Cat crosses Graffiti Graveyard, a place where itinerants hang out.

Freeman also continues to develop his three main characters: Jonathan Stride, Maggie Bei, and Serena Dial. Each of the three has heavy baggage and each is in a different place as far as healing. Some of it seems annoying, but it seemed within the realm of possibility that the ladies would have their claws out and be hissing at one another. I expect that by the time we see them again, they will be acting more like adults. Love her or hate her, there is a lot of Maggie in this book. Stride makes some necessary – I’d say “strides,” but at times they’re more like baby steps – toward becoming the type of partner Serena needs him to be. But the most interesting character in The Cold Nowhere is Cat. She had a father who abused her mother, she was orphaned at a very young age, and her life has been a series of abusive relationships and risky choices. She is desperate to survive but does not believe that she is deserving of love.

In their quest for pieces to puzzles both new and old, the detectives delve into an investigation of prostitution, a missing person case, and multiple murders. Mr. Freeman is fond of twists and surprises, but I didn’t find the revelations in this one to be too shocking. I did, however, very much enjoy the ride, and I look forward to reading Goodbye to the Dead.

4 stars
on 7 May 2014
This was a very good book and it's great to have Stride back! Without giving too much away... A young girl find herself being hunted down and goes to the one person she knows she can trust...Stride. Her arrival however, stirs up the emotions of an already emotionally charged cop and soon finds himself alone when he decides to protect this young girl. His partner doesn't trust her but this has am lot to do with her entanglement with Stride, which to those who have real all the books will know what 'That' is all about. I did find the second half of the book a little 'Oh really' and maybe clues could have been spread out a bit better as a lot happened in a very short space of time but this doesn't in any way ruins the story. A great work of fiction and the descriptions of character and place are spot on, you can see, hear, smell and even taste the atmosphere. Would be very willing to empty my pockets to own his next work!

A note that although you don't need to read the books in any chronological order to enjoy them, but like any good series you get the most out of them when you start at the beginning and Brian Freeman's publishers do not seem to want to rip you off for Kindle or Hardback/Paperback copies like some do. Very reasonable and sometimes excellent value for money. Not only that the author also really gets involved with his fans via email and facebook, so really this is what readers want. If only more authors and publisher were like this!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 March 2014
I like this series and The Cold Nowhere is a good addition. Set in Minnesota it covers several murders (past and present) and various attempts on a teenager's life and is all drawn together neatly at the end. I think familiarity with the previous novels would help you better understand some of the ramifications of Stride's personal life in this novel, but it's not a necessity as it will stand alone. The book is, in my opinion, a bit long and could do without some of the italicised flashbacks/memories but apart from that it is a good, well written read.
on 22 June 2013
Couldn't put it down. Read it in four days and then I gave it to my neighbour and she read it I two days. Can't wait for his next one
on 16 February 2014
This was my first Freeman/Stride novel. It did hold up though as a stand-alone and I don't think I was disadvantaged by not having read earlier novels in the series.

There was a good mystery here as Stride helps Cat, an orphan turned prostitute, who may have witnessed the murder of her parents years ago in a case Stride was involved in. Freeman does well in constructing a viable plot and throwing in bits of information to build up the intrigue. In other words, it is not hard for the reader to get very much invested in the story.

I would say that Stride and his history and relationship issues didn't do a great deal for me, but I suspect I need to read more in the series to learn more about him and the other regular characters.

A joy to read a Kindle edition without typos and formatting problems too, I must say.

In short, I'll look for more by this author.