Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: DVD|Change

on 5 June 2013
Some People is a British colour production from 1962. The story has three strands. Firstly, the picture is a rock n' roll musical featuring three popular songs - Some People - Yes You Did - Too Late - and a twangy instrumental - Bristol Express.Singing was provided by local Bristol girl Valerie Mountain and the background music by the technically excellent, and underrated Eagles (not to be confused with the much later American supergroup with the same name).. Sadly - they get no apparent acknowledgement in the credits and they do not appear on screen. However, Angela Douglas does a super job lip synching the songs and the EP of the film soundtrack charted for some weeks in 1962. Secondly, the film is a fairly tame account of "rebellious youth" - Ray Brooks, David Hemmings and David Andrews - into 'alienation' - a bit of mayhem - motor bikes, music, black leather jackets and - girls! Angela Douglas and Anneke Wills play the girls and both give spirited performances. Thirdly, the movie is modest propaganda for the Duke of Edinburgh's Award Scheme - very big deal at the time. The guys and their girls are introduced to the scheme to get them "back on the right road" by a genial choirmaster - played by Kenneth More (whose stellar movie star status of the 50s was in steep decline by the time he appeared in this picture). He was hardly called upon to act which is just as well because he failed to! Instead he opted to amble amiably through the picture, smoking a pipe, wearing a 'reassuringly middle class' fifties fleece coat, and with a few lines of pap dialogue to utter and a bit of homespun philosophy to share. More apparently gave his services free to the producers as he is quoted in the title credits as "believing"in the DOEAS. Good for him. But the acting honours are pinched from under his nose by David Andrews (later to become an influential television director) as the meanest, moodiest , and most threatening of the three rockers.
Cinematically, the film tries to do for Bristol what Newcastle did for Payroll (1961), Salford for A Kind of Loving (1962) , and Brighton for Jigsaw(1962). Lots of authentic and iconic locations. Cinema verite writ large! Clifton Suspension Bridge. Royal York Terrace. Filton airfield with the "flying pencil" (the top secret jetfighter Bristol 188) on take off. The tobacco factory etc, etc. Nice to look at. Good backdrop for the briefest of 'brief encounters' love story between Ray Brooks and Anneke Wills, and good PR for - to quote the producers - "the city and people of Bristol".

A couple of minor caveats. The DVD is sharp in imagery and offers good colour. But the requirement for the actors to i)adopt West Country accents and idioms; ii) and to "yoof speak and bicker" all at the same time in clubs and pubs blurs the soundtrack and undermines continuity. However, the moral is pretty obvious and the film ends (as it has to) enigmatically - some people will - some people won't!

I was in my mid-teens when the picture came out. I loved it and saw it three times on successive days at the Deansgate cinema in Manchester (it ran for about 3/4 weeks). Great to have the DVD of it now and, incidentally, you can catch up on all the (Bristol) Eagles instrumental tunes on YouTube.
55 comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 May 2013
I bought this after being reminded of it by hearing Valerie Mountain sing the title song on Radio 2. It appealed because I am of similar vintage to the film and I have lived in Bristol for over 25 years.
On viewing it I realised that not only had I seen it back in the day but the church hall featured in the film was just around the corner!
It was made as a vehicle to promote the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme so it's a bit patronising in places but as a snapshot of life as a teenager back then it was spot on. Local people were in it and local band The Eagles (no, not them!) provided the soundtrack. The title song also got into the charts and is a bit of an ear worm!
Nice to see that Anneke Wills who played a key role (and was an early Dr Who girl) still has a thriving career as a writer and still attends Dr Who events..
on 4 July 2013
And I am one of them! Like another of your reviewers, I was born in 1949 and must have been 13 when I went to see this at the cinema. I loved the music and bought the EP. Still play it. I never heard of Valerie Mountain and the Eagles again sadly. In fact the Eagles did get a brief acknowledgment at the beginning of the film but not Valerie.

For me, the film still works. Teenagers needing a focus in their lives to make up for dead-end jobs, the excitement of making music and singing - this all rings entirely true. Ray Brooks, David Hemmings and David Andrews are all first-class, so are Angela Douglas (totally believable in her miming while Valerie sings) and Anneka Wills. Kenneth More still had one of his most high-profile roles to come -as Jolyon in BBC's Forsyte Saga which swept the nation. But for me, the young actors steal the honours.

But so does the location shooting of the bus station, the pubs, the landscape scenes of Bristol. And the lingering final shot of the young teenage boy who has yet to find his place....

Magic.
on 21 June 2013
And all fans of this underrated film needed to have patience, while waiting for it to appear on DVD! This is a pretty good print and it certainly takes me back 50 years to when I first saw it. Dear old Bristol! Good performances by everyone in the cast and the music was great.

I wonder how many years we will have to wait before we can get the soundtrack on CD!
on 20 July 2013
Yes, I sat through it from beginning to end. It had its moments, but not too many of them. I'm almost going thumbs down, but I have never turned a Kenneth More film no matter - even, as in this perhaps unique case, it is naive and propagandist for a good cause.
on 25 September 2013
I saw this when it came out when I was 14.
I bought it because the song "Too late" by Valerie Mountain has haunted me for decades.
I have had the EP since the film came out.
The film is a great evocation of those basically innocent days.
I loved it.
Rodger
on 12 August 2013
I bought this DVD direct from Network and it is packaged in a slim case (the type usually found in box sets) rather than a standard DVD box. Are all copies like that ? Great film but it doesn't look right on my shelf !
on 19 March 2014
A film from my early teens that I remember with great affection. Heavy on the D of E Award scheme message this nevertheless attempts to portray a slice of pre-Beatle teenage life. Somewhat awkward performances from Kenneth More in particular and also Harry H Corbett (was this pre-Steptoe?) but great early film appearances by David Hemmings and Ray Brooks. Not a prime example of early 60's British film making but I have to admit I really like this film and am glad to have it on DVD.
on 10 May 2014
There is little to add to the other reviews on this subject. I remember the film coming out although I never saw it, but the theme song was recorded not only by Valerie Mountain and the Eagles but also Jet Harris in his post-Shadows career, and the delicious, adorable Carol Deene (whose version was the best).

The film, being set in Bristol, makes a pleasant change from the London-centric average UK film of the time and it's a harmless tale but I suggest a bit preachy, especially by today's standards. That said, maybe, given the way things are nowadays, we should think about an updated version...

Angela Douglas makes a superb job of miming to Valerie Mountain's singing - you really cannot see the join, as it were. In retrospect, Valerie and the Eagles each deserved more success than they got. Valerie seems to have vanished after this little episode, and while the Eagles went on to make a number of really good records they had little chart success, being overshadowed (!) by the Shadows, the Tornados and other instrumental groups. Shortly afterwards, of course, it would all change and a bunch of Scousers would destroy the music we had all enjoyed so much, but that's another story.

So, not a bad film, well worth watching, but leaving, to be honest, a feeling at the end that it hadn't really reached a conclusion as such. Most films come to a natural end. This one just missed doing so.
on 10 July 2013
super film which reminds me of my teenage times.Great music too,and very well acted..would happily recomend it to all old teenagers of 60 plus